• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Copy of what I wrote on another thread:

It's not just his poor substitutions and naive tactics - what on earth does he say to them at half time? That's not the first time this season we've looked considerably worse in the second half. After conceding a goal and losing a man in first half stoppage time, how the hell were Burton able to come out for the second half with their tails up like that? Oh wait, that's why, because they have a positive, likeable and respectable manager whose players respond to him and gain motivation from him.

We have the squad but we don't have the management. We are going nowhere with Phil Brown in charge.

No strength in depth at the business end of the season. That's been us for the last few years. If we don't sort the problem we'll never get out of this poxy division.

Totally disagree with any criticism for Brown going three at the back. He's had so much criticism in the past for going 1-0 up and making defensive subs, so I see no problem with going three at the back against a 10 man Burton and going for the win. It was a huge risk, but I would have made the same call if I were him. It's too late in the day to be picking up 1 point in winnable games. We need to be taking all 3 off the top teams if we want promotion.

Unlucky, but fair play Phil.

We have rarely looked good under Phil,boring games grinding out boring wins,his tactics are mental,most of his signing have been poor.

i always maintained this squad should be top 3 easy but sadly not under Phil's mentality.

Brown lost the plot, why panic when they equalised, we was still on top and created 3/4 chances up to the equaliser. Brown panicked by going 4-5-1....why? We was totally dominating the match yet his substitutions well and truly killed us.

No urgency, outfought and when he brought on Payne (too lightweight) and Weston (awful even he his standards) we lost all shape. We can carry one player at best but with Hurst, Payne and Weston we were outplayed by a team with a man disadvantage.

To top it off, the egotistic wonker didn't even grace the fans with an apology or a clap for our long midweek efforts to support the team.

in short - we were outplaying them but the manager panicked when they equalised on the break. To go 4-5-1 when our two up top when we were crucifying them. Brown you cost us FACT

Just don't understand why he would want to disrupt our defence and go 3 at the back. Burton were always going to throw bodies forward.

Totally disagree with any criticism for Brown going three at the back. He's had so much criticism in the past for going 1-0 up and making defensive subs, so I see no problem with going three at the back against a 10 man Burton and going for the win. It was a huge risk, but I would have made the same call if I were him. It's too late in the day to be picking up 1 point in winnable games. We need to be taking all 3 off the top teams if we want promotion.

We had four recognised defenders playing until the 85th minute.

he took a striker off for a midfielder after they scored. That summed it up. Then with 5 minutes to go he got desperate and out Cassidy on.

Phil threw the dice and lost yet by all accounts we were pony second half so in essence we had 45 minutes and an extra man to put them away and failed miserably .

It was a big gamble, though. Surely just a more attacking midfielder would have been enough

17th January 2015
Southend losing 2-1 at half-time with 10 men away from home
Brown says something at half-time
Brown makes some subs
Southend win the game 3-2

2 months later
Southend winning 1-0 at half-time against 10 men away from home
Brown says something at half-time
Brown makes some subs
Southend lose the game 2-1

Jeez people. It happens. Often. To all sorts of teams. Always has. Always will.

Every match thread usually crucufies Brown for making 'defensive' changes, he makes an attacking switch for a change and he still gets crucified. A lot of people seem to only moan about the subs in hindsight, it's easy to say he got the tactics wrong when the full time whistle goes, not so easy when you don't know the outcome yet. People in the thread were calling for us to 'go for it' at the time, strange how suddenly Brown was wrong to do it after we've seen Burton score.

The players need to look in the mirror too! they are the ones who decide how much effort they want to put in, second half they seemed to show a lack of respect to Burton and thought it would be easy and they would just role over like daggers did.

Things do even themselves out though, i am sure Oxford fans were saying all of the above when we beat them 3-2 with ten men.

Every match thread usually crucufies Brown for making 'defensive' changes, he makes an attacking switch for a change and he still gets crucified. A lot of people seem to only moan about the subs in hindsight, it's easy to say he got the tactics wrong when the full time whistle goes, not so easy when you don't know the outcome yet. People in the thread were calling for us to 'go for it' at the time.

Agree, fans were singing ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK, he puts on another striker to attack so can't moan about that particular sub, its more the handling of the whole second half for me that's ridiculous.

I never went tonight but am absolutely gutted by this loss. Burton down to ten men and Southend winning one nil scoring on the stroke of half time and we still lose? I am at a total loss to understand Brown's tactics and if we don't go up, it will it be his fault and he'll surely have to go.

We have rarely looked good under Phil,boring games grinding out boring wins,his tactics are mental,most of his signing have been poor.

i always maintained this squad should be top 3 easy but sadly not under Phil's mentality.

Why do you maintain this squad should be top 3 if PB's signings have generally been poor?

To be honest I had no problem with going to three at the back...we need wins at this stage of the season, not draws. The way I felt with ten to go is that a draw felt like a defeat anyway.
Brown and the players take equal blame for me... I don't think the current squad has the bottle to go up. This was a problem under sturrock as well so I think it goes further than just the manager.

He had to go three at the back because his previous two subs killed our shape!!!! Why go 4-5-1, sorry you can't applaud that

I think in the last ten min I could see this was going to happen and then brown took th son off for cassidy!! I think 1-1 we all stil would of been disappointed but not to loose from there was a must!! Very strange mr brown!!

Back