• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

USAShrimper

First XI
Seems like we're in the same situation as we've been in the last couple of seasons. It would be a brave fan who can say we will definitely go up this year. However, it would be a fool who would say we don't have a a good chance of promotion. It's the annual roller coaster. Was just back for a couple of games, disappointed after the wycombe game, not so much with the performance, but letting 2 soft goals in and letting 2 points slip. Then very pleased at the Dagenham game with the finishing, and team spirit. Close up I think Timlin & Corr are key players for us right now and should stay in there as much as possible until the end of the season. As true "Shrimpers Fans" lets not give into the frustration of the Burton game which I watched and felt very disappointed with afterwards, However, lets "double down" on our support, this can still be our year.We as fans can make the difference.

Can't believe some of the comments on here by so called fans, "Don't think we deserve to be in the play-off" Are you having a laugh ? Not sure who said that "the table doesn't lie" whoever it was, they were correct. 5th place, still in with a big shout of going up in exciting fashion. If you can't get behind the team now, when can you. Many of us have been supporters for a long time through thick and thin, when there was nothing to play for. That clearly is not the case now.

Can't believe some of the comments on here by so called fans, "Don't think we deserve to be in the play-off" Are you having a laugh ? Not sure who said that "the table doesn't lie" whoever it was, they were correct. 5th place, still in with a big shout of going up in exciting fashion. If you can't get behind the team now, when can you. Many of us have been supporters for a long time through thick and thin, when there was nothing to play for. That clearly is not the case now.

Exactly this! I remember the years of Martin, Little, Newman and Wignall. Some of the fans don't realise how lucky they are.

Table don't lie and if we finish 4th-7th in the league then playoffs are what we deserve

Table don't lie and if we finish 4th-7th in the league then playoffs are what we deserve

Exactly right, its an old cliche, but end of the day those promoted will deserve to have done so, those relegated like wise. My only concern is that it is highly unlikely we will achieve top 3, even if we win all 8 games and i really dont think PB has the tactical nous to win the play offs.

Exactly right, its an old cliche, but end of the day those promoted will deserve to have done so, those relegated like wise. My only concern is that it is highly unlikely we will achieve top 3, even if we win all 8 games and i really dont think PB has the tactical nous to win the play offs.

He managed it with Hull, with a much bigger prize at stake.

The only time you can say luck plays any part is once the play offs start.

To finish in the top 3 or the top 7 cant be done by being lucky or undeserving, to win a one off final is another thing.

I dont get the self loathing some people have, funny way of supporting a team constantly saying they dont deserve to be where they are. If they dont Im not sure why teams below us who have won less games deserve to be higher....

Exactly this! I remember the years of Martin, Little, Newman and Wignall. Some of the fans don't realise how lucky they are.

Really ? Memory must be playing tricks methinks.

In Alvin Martin's only full season (at a higher level than we are now) we scored 5 goals at home in one game, 4 in another and 3 in four more. Remind me how many times we've scored 3 at home this season.

In Alan Little's only full season we only failed to score at home in 3 League games. We've doubled that already.

The home entertainment value was much greater in certainly the first three managers you mention than this season's poor home fare.

Please forgive me for not feeling lucky to have our current manager.

In Alvin Martin's only full season (at a higher level than we are now) we scored 5 goals at home in one game, 4 in another and 3 in four more. Remind me how many times we've scored 3 at home this season.

In Alan Little's only full season we only failed to score at home in 3 League games. We've doubled that already.

The home entertainment value was much greater in certainly the first three managers you mention than this season's poor home fare.

Obviously you were not lucky enough to be at the home game against Huddersfield when we got relegated

Obviously you were not lucky enough to be at the home game against Huddersfield when we got relegated

Not sure why you ask, but yes I was at all the home games that season when Whelan was in charge including the 5-2 win over Bolton, 3-2 win over Sheff Utd, 2-1 wins over Reading, Palace and Stoke and narrow 3-2 defeats to Man City and West Brom. Entertainment value a million times better than this years. Whelan's wasters v Brown's bores in the entertainment stakes ? Only one winner.

That's what I like to see (read) - two balanced points of view and no argie bargy.

I love a bit of entertainment but I'm swinging more to the "let's just get some results and get promoted" camp as the months and seasons drift past.

I'm not getting any younger you know ................:cricko: ..... and the clock is ticking.

Splitting hairs on what season was most enjoyable or goals scored and against who was not the point of my original post.
It's how can a true supporter be so pessimistic when there is clearly still so much to play for and "doubling down" on our support of the team can really make the difference. If we go up, historically, this will go down as one of the great seasons.

For me, apart from the late sixties and early seventies whenever we have been in Div4/ L2 and not winning promotion or in the play off's it has been dire.......................But our love for our team endures all !!! UTS

Splitting hairs on what season was most enjoyable or goals scored and against who was not the point of my original post.

Sorry, stopped reading that bit when I got to the expression "double down" :winking:

To be fair Mick, we also conceded 79 goals in Alvin Martins full season. I remember the Bournemouth 5-3 game which was a dull as dishwater in the first half and all the goals went in during about 25 mad 2nd half minutes. Entertaining? Absolutely. But that was a one off.

I also remember not winning from early December to late February at home and seeing some of the most frustrating displays I can remember, even rivaling some of those in the dark days of the mid 80's. Successive home defeats against Luton and Wycombe spring to mind and the final game of the season at home to Wrexham (when we were already down) was just embarrassing.

I wouldn't want that again EVER and would take Brown's team over Martins like a shot.

Trouble is as time goes by you forget the dross and only remember the 5-3 or 4-4 games.

Under all those managers there might have been the odd good performance and entertaining game, but I bet there was just as much disappointment and rubbish football as there is now.

You can't always get entertainment at football, its the nature of the game, and I would rather have 70+ points in a season with only a couple of memorable games than 50 points and see loads of goals every week.

Always been unfashionable supporting Southend, as a kid growing up in the 60's & 70's, all my school friends supported West Ham or Chelsea. So it's always been a labour of love. Have to be realistic about the potential of the club, where it's been and where it can go. Realistic about the potential of what type of team we can put together and technically and tactically how we can play on the field. That's why I loved the successful "Tilly Teams" great speed of play, ball on the ground, quick "one-two touch" Hope we can get back there at some stage.

I think for many of the 'doubters', it is the frustration which boils over into a negative attitude. I believe it is the lack of consistency that makes many say 'we don't deserve to go up'; no one (i hope) actually means it, but I am sure we would like to go into lower table clashes with high expectations of a win, and games against top end clubs with confidence of a tight game. THEN, when we get promoted, we will be able to hold our own in the higher division and then build on our success.
Unfortunately, although we see ourselves as a top of the table club, at the moment we just let ourselves down in silly ways. But as many have said before; this is league two.

Back