• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Ok the 10 men did us but the interesting fact is we over the course of the season will attract around 70,000 fans more than Albion,yet they will certainly be playing league 1 football next year in their smart but modest stadium,we may well join them.

My point is how is it possible a small club with small crowds do so well whilst we appear to tread water?,I realise bigger crowds will not guarantee success but it's bloody annoying.

i think its all bout the squad & manager remember in league 2 under tilly we seemed to have a small squad of hungry players who really seemed up for any game as was the manager and we always seemed to out play & outwork teams.

You could ask any of these clubs for the answer;
Burton, Fleetwood, Daggers, Col U, Brighton, MK Dons, Chesterfield, Yeovil, Newport....

We have no divine right to be any where, and a lot of our "fans" need to realise this.

The number of comments that people we coming out with on Wednesday night were laughable. Things like "How can we lose to tin pot Burton, they're ****"

That's the same Burton who are top of the league, above us in the table, and were at home. :dim:

The 'we have more fans so we should be better' mentality that creeps in on here sometimes annoys me. If we were in the championship we'd be rightly ****ed off if fans of bigger teams said we didn't deserve to be there because we only get 8000 fans a match so why is it OK for us to say that about clubs like Burton?

The 'we have more fans so we should be better' mentality that creeps in on here sometimes annoys me. If we were in the championship we'd be rightly ****ed off if fans of bigger teams said we didn't deserve to be there because we only get 8000 fans a match so why is it OK for us to say that about clubs like Burton?

I think Tangled got it right !

Not knocking their crowds whatsoever as they have done brilliantly on their budget,yet somehow feel with the extra revenue we produce via the turnstiles we should be able to afford better players than Albion or at least match them on the pitch and the league.

ronsmoneypit.co.uk

I think Tangled got it right !

Not knocking their crowds whatsoever as they have done brilliantly on their budget,yet somehow feel with the extra revenue we produce via the turnstiles we should be able to afford better players than Albion or at least match them on the pitch and the league.

ronsmoneypit.co.uk

Portsmouth are probably thinking the same, after we did the double over them.

Oh for goodness sake.

Your viewpoint is massively simplistic. But if, if, you accept it as fact then we have about the fourth or fith highest gates in the division and we've been around fourth or fifth all season.

Afternoon, Shrimpers.The Football League Paper shows top seven average attendances every week.The top five in order are:1st Portsmouth 2nd Luton 3rd Plymouth 4th Oxford 5th Southend. So if the league were based on attendances we would be exactly where we are. Another stat that I think is a factor in why other clubs fans in this league see us as arrogant is that we've spent half of the last 50 seasons in the fourth tier. To most other clubs fans, league two appears to be our natural level so not surprising they hate it when we call them tinpot and saying a club like Southend should be beating them - we've been playing some of them for years at this level.

Afternoon, Shrimpers.The Football League Paper shows top seven average attendances every week.The top five in order are:1st Portsmouth 2nd Luton 3rd Plymouth 4th Oxford 5th Southend. So if the league were based on attendances we would be exactly where we are. Another stat that I think is a factor in why other clubs fans in this league see us as arrogant is that we've spent half of the last 50 seasons in the fourth tier. To most other clubs fans, league two appears to be our natural level so not surprising they hate it when we call them tinpot and saying a club like Southend should be beating them - we've been playing some of them for years at this level.

Top first post and welcome to the board! :thumbsup:

Anyone remember when we got relegated 5 years ago some were saying "we are only on loan to League 2", well looks like we impressed and signed a permanent deal!

Oh for goodness sake.

Your viewpoint is massively simplistic. But if, if, you accept it as fact then we have about the fourth or fith highest gates in the division and we've been around fourth or fifth all season.
Bet if there was a league for fans that moan the most we would win that by a country mile...!!!!!

You could ask any of these clubs for the answer;
Burton, Fleetwood, Daggers, Col U, Brighton, MK Dons, Chesterfield, Yeovil, Newport....

We have no divine right to be any where, and a lot of our "fans" need to realise this.

The number of comments that people we coming out with on Wednesday night were laughable. Things like "How can we lose to tin pot Burton, they're ****"

That's the same Burton who are top of the league, above us in the table, and were at home. :dim:

Remember how we felt when people said the same about us when we won League 1 under Tilson...

Burton charge £18 for a seat and £15 for terrace(adult)!

Not only do we get around an extra 70,000 fans per season we also charge far more than Albion!

dontmakesense.org

Hello board, Burton Albion fan in peace.
Quick explanation: We are run on a very tight budget, Ben Robinson (Chairman) is quite simply the best Chairman you could wish for. He has not and will not EVER overspend on any player. His philosophy is that the Burton Albion as a community club, always comes first.
Yes, we do have small crowds compared to most League 2 clubs. However the club does all kinds of events and dare I say it, hospitality packages (ARRRGGGHHHH). So we make money through other means.
Also the Chairman lets the manager get on with it, he never gets involved with team matters.
We have a fantastic youth set up too. Its a brilliantly run club an as a Brewer I'm extremely proud of what we have achieved. Landed on our feet with Jimmy Floyd but again that's down the Chairman.
One other thing that's also pivotal is that we train at St Georges Park and that's a huge pulling factor to get players in. Its the best training facilities in the country so naturally its going to appeal to players to come to Burton.
Good luck for the rest of the season, Cheers

Hello board, Burton Albion fan in peace.
Quick explanation: We are run on a very tight budget, Ben Robinson (Chairman) is quite simply the best Chairman you could wish for. He has not and will not EVER overspend on any player. His philosophy is that the Burton Albion as a community club, always comes first.
Yes, we do have small crowds compared to most League 2 clubs. However the club does all kinds of events and dare I say it, hospitality packages (ARRRGGGHHHH). So we make money through other means.
Also the Chairman lets the manager get on with it, he never gets involved with team matters.
We have a fantastic youth set up too. Its a brilliantly run club an as a Brewer I'm extremely proud of what we have achieved. Landed on our feet with Jimmy Floyd but again that's down the Chairman.
One other thing that's also pivotal is that we train at St Georges Park and that's a huge pulling factor to get players in. Its the best training facilities in the country so naturally its going to appeal to players to come to Burton.
Good luck for the rest of the season, Cheers

Excellent post.

We however have been dragged constantly through the courts for various unpaid debts,the new stadium will possibly be built in around 1000 years time.

You and your club are lucky to have such an understanding and thoughtful chairman/owner .

Good luck in league 1 next season.

BAFC the way every club should be run.

The short answer is that a myriad of so-called smaller Clubs succeed where we seemingly fail on a consistent basis because they are run properly, in a sustainable manner. We are living a hand-to-mouth existence, annually hedging our bets against promotion which we appear doomed to fail to achieve every season.

Burton charge £18 for a seat and £15 for terrace(adult)!

Not only do we get around an extra 70,000 fans per season we also charge far more than Albion!

dontmakesense.org

Wouldn't it be boring if football just followed that formula? I love that clubs can overachieve on a small budget and so called "big clubs" can fail. As people have pointed out, we aren't really underachieving, we are where most would expect us to be. Obviously we all want more but I think outrage is a bit unfair, with this simplistic view in mind you have to concede we are doing ok or as we should expect.

The short answer is that a myriad of so-called smaller Clubs succeed where we seemingly fail on a consistent basis because they are run properly, in a sustainable manner. We are living a hand-to-mouth existence, annually hedging our bets against promotion which we appear doomed to fail to achieve every season.

Nail on head.

Wouldn't it be boring if football just followed that formula? I love that clubs can overachieve on a small budget and so called "big clubs" can fail. As people have pointed out, we aren't really underachieving, we are where most would expect us to be. Obviously we all want more but I think outrage is a bit unfair, with this simplistic view in mind you have to concede we are doing ok or as we should expect.

Indeed, we could be where Stockport County are!

Could it possibly be that we're not a very well-run or managed club?

Spot on. Burton may have smaller crowds but they have built solid foundations over several years. Ben Robinson is a fantastic chairman and their new stadium means they can generate far more non-matchday revenue.

I think we need to stop banging on about our crowds all the time. In fact, if the league table was measured on crowds, we'd be, erm, 5th.

Back