• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If however we are looking at non league level ? Bentley ? Was an awesome player here, understands lower leagues and is actually in management at the moment.

Was a reliable and very decent player but think I'd stop a long way short of "awesome" in describing him.

Anyway, 10 weeks of player/manager experience in the Ryman League could be viewed as scant experience.

Have to say though, whatever he does, I do actually have faith in Ron to get the right man in if he decides to part company with Brown. He seems to make good management appointments.

Think the last three have got incrementally worse; hate to imagine who he's got lined up next.

Danny Cowley

Concord in ESL in his first season in 07/08 now challenging for a play-off spot in Conference South to get to the Conference.

Was a reliable and very decent player but think I'd stop a long way short of "awesome" in describing him.

Anyway, 10 weeks of player/manager experience in the Ryman League could be viewed as scant experience.

Fair point regarding his experiance, I was only using him really as a name, due to him being young and with a Southend history.

From a personal perspective, I would still use awesome for Bentley, we was only discussing him during the game on Saturday. I loved his passion and his bravery. He was also a far better footballer than given credit for and even Tilly has said that he regretted not offering MB the 2 year deal he wanted. I think MB was missed when he left the Club for personal security reasons.

I dont care who the manager is as long as he gets us out of this division this year .

I know that we are always in the dark where club finances are concerned, but I can't help worrying that Ron has bank-rolled Phil and the back room pretty heavily this year in a desperate attempt to get us up this year. If we don't make it, will next season see us hanging around the courts again? If that is the case, I don't suppose Phil will want to hang around (if that is a choice open to him) and we might just get what we can afford.
Of course, that might just be an unknown quantity that turns out to be a diamond.

Would never happen but would love to see Mark Warburton the current Brentford manager whose being released at the end of the season.....

I don't see why we need a tried and tested FL manager. Barry Fry was untested and much as I know some of you hate him he wasn't fazed or a failure with us. I'd quite like the prospect of Ricky Duncan stepping up alongside Maher as assistant. Give Barrett the youths and I think Ricky would also keep his hand in. Winners all round. 3 that know the club, the fans and the chairman each of which would get the respect of the dressing room as well.

Would like to see Chrissy 'wiggle it' Powell, but Ron may have to bide his time for now.
Glad to see him doing well with Huddersfield :clap:

In the short term, would like to see Adam Barrett/Ricky Duncan/Kevin Maher/ but certainly none of the current backroom staff for me - would'nt mind Gus Poyet with one of the above as his assistant.

Not sure how I feel about this one. We all think we should be a top 3 side but when you look at the number of teams who before the season started were touted as promotion favourites i.e. Luton, Portsmouth, Plymouth etc (all below us), not forgetting Shrews were always going to be strong as were moneybags Bury, maybe 5th is actually not as bad as it may appear. Maybe we need to be more realistic. Are Luton fans demanding John Still be sacked after their run of form? Not as far as I can tell. I think at this level to sack a manager who gets you into the play-offs two seasons running (ok I'm taking a leap of faith there) may be short sighted. Personally I'd give PB at least until Christmas if we're still in L2 and if by then we're not in contention for a top 3 place then yes I'd agree its time for a change, but until then I don't think I'd break up a reasonably succesful management & backroom team.

I'm still staggered at the relative arrogance/nonchalance of the suggestions banded around on here.

Why on Earth would the likes of Ainsworth or Still do anything more than laugh off any offer from Southend? We might like to think of Clubs like Wycombe as being smaller than us (and in terms of core support and catchment, they most certainly are), but, behind-the-scenes, we are a basket case of a Club in comparison.

The only reason we ended up with Brown is because, without putting too fine a point on it, he was/is very much damaged goods, with a point to prove.

So, that leaves us with a selection headache for future managerial appointments - either we maintain the status quo, and choose relative big names whose careers have nose-dived spectacularly (or, as with Curbishley, have been in the footballing wilderness for what may as well be a decade), or we go unproven.

Even if Brown gets us out of this godforsaken league this season, I still remain unconvinced longer term.

Personally id like to think our aspirations are better than a bloke that has "done well at Braintree ..." . People bemoan that PB has no knowledge of this league and then push for a manager that has never managed above non league level !! I'm not knocking what he has achieved , don't get me wrong, but no not for me.

If however we are looking at non league level ? Bentley ? Was an awesome player here, understands lower leagues and is actually in management at the moment. Maher would be great at the club, but I'd ask about his managerial experience .

Look at Northampton. They managed to prise Wilder away from Oxford last season and that is now looking as though its a move that worked well for both manager and club. Could we not consider something like this ? Eg, John Still. A short term answer to try and get us out of this league, but he's a bloke that still knows what is needed in this league.

Whatever the situation, I wouldn't like to be in Rons situation, however, lets remember that he has always backed his managers, when finances allowed. He did with Tilly during our climb up the league , sadly that era will only be remembered for the down ward spiral, however up until and including the championship, whatever Tilly he wanted, he got !

Then Sturrock, granted he started from scratch, however I reckon still that Ron backed him as much as the purse strings allowed at the time.

Now Brown, a large playing squad and good back room.

For all his faults, some his own fault , some not so, I bet there are worse chairmen to work for as a manager wanting backing , again if the finances allow.

You what.:omg: Tilly will be remembered for far more at this club than the downward spiral as you suggest.
One of our greatest managers who will be lauded far beyond his (or my) lifetime

Back