• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

German Wings crash

I’m hearing the insurance payout is going to befrom the terrorism policy rather than the aviation hull, but I think that is because it was deliberate rather than it actually being terrorism

My team insure Lufthansa which Germanwings is a part of - it's been another interesting week in the aviation insurance market.

Indeed we cover accidents ('fortuitous') whereas intentional incidents are covered under separate policies (war/terrorism)

My team insure Lufthansa which Germanwings is a part of - it's been another interesting week in the aviation insurance market.

Indeed we cover accidents ('fortuitous') whereas intentional incidents are covered under separate policies (war/terrorism)

The Turkish Runway excursion of the other week was on the Lufthansa program I understand, but that will be on the Hull policy as opposed to the Hull War

Read today that six of the dead lived in Sant Cugat. Mood in town must be awfully bleak Barna?

NB - a post sent with genuine concern, not any baiting. That would be horribly insensitive.

Yeah some of them worked for Delphi.Quite a well-known local company, here.Obviously since the flight was from Barcelona and there were some 40+Spanish nationals on board, it's attracted a lot of local/national coverage.

I work with a company that often sends people to Germany on business.Not usually to Düsseldorf,fortunately.

These days, Sant Cugat is a rather posh commuter town of some 90,000+ people but the business community (especially at the top), is much smaller than that.

Yesterday,two private classes I had, (both local businessmen) explained that they knew (indirectly) some of the people who died on the plane.

Last edited:
Mental illness and depression. How none of this was flagged up by colleagues is incredible. He also had lots of history, so obviously shouldn't be in the job, and definitely should never be left alone in a cockpit.
Secondly, if he killed himself it's suicide, anyone else he kills whilst doing it, it's murder.

He also crashed the plane into the spot where he used to go gliding since he was twelve.

Most people that commit suicide choose a way that doesn't kill anyone else in the process, letting pilots fly with depression alone doesn't seem that risky to me, plus hiding depression isn't hard to do. What these other psychological issues are hasn't been revealed yet so it's hard to know whether they somehow missed this history or if he convinced them he was cured of it, but those are likely the culprit more than depression.

Most people that commit suicide choose a way that doesn't kill anyone else in the process, letting pilots fly with depression alone doesn't seem that risky to me, plus hiding depression isn't hard to do. What these other psychological issues are hasn't been revealed yet so it's hard to know whether they somehow missed this history or if he convinced them he was cured of it, but those are likely the culprit more than depression.

Of course it's risky. Would you like to be on a plane that is being flown by a co-pilot suffering from depression, whilst the pilot is in the toilet? Most depression comes with heightened anxiety, or panic attacks. It goes hand in hand, but is put under the depression banner. If you go to the doctors to be signed off with depression, they nearly always put depression and anxiety. In this case the real cause is coming out as mental disorder with the clues they have found in his apartment, but he was also suffering from depression and those other things, made worse by a relationship break up apparently.

Yes Aviation seems to be very unlucky at the moment! a bad year or so. Are you at Willis then? I was reading in insurance day that they have the lead on this one.

Can someone explain to me how someone who has been hospitalised and signed off work, then goes back to work without some kind of indication from doctors that they are now fit for work?

God, I feel so desperately sorry for the victims' and the victim's families.

So its looking like suicide is the likely cause, how screwed do you have to be to commit suicide knowing you will take all those kids with you.

Unfathomable.

Does seem to be pointing that way if we are to believe what we are being told.
If true then it really is absolutely awful.
Anyone who contemplates suicide are indeed quite unwell as they are in a dark place where they can see way out of a situation but to take others with you is just selfish.
Those poor, poor families

Can someone explain to me how someone who has been hospitalised and signed off work, then goes back to work without some kind of indication from doctors that they are now fit for work?

God, I feel so desperately sorry for the victims' and the victim's families.

Very easily Kay especially with mental health issues as you cannot see it like you can a physical health problem however, if they have been off work for a period of time and the med cert indicated mental health issues then the least one would expect is a return to work cert and a return to work review

Back