• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
he didnt play, but was there with ricky duncan to represent the club and donate a signed shirt for the raffle they held.

I'd like to think this is what represents our club, not the idiots that put him on a life support machine.

Minute's applause for Simon Dobbin

Mentioned it on another thread but thought it might be worthy of its own thread to make more people aware.

Cambridge are doing a minutes applause in the 41st minute and would be a nice touch if we could get something similar going at Roots Hall on Friday given the circumstances.

Good idea we need to show our support for him amd his family

What would be better would be if everyone who has any information about who committed this appalling attack came forward to the police and ensured that the scum involved are brought to justice.

What would be better would be if everyone who has any information about who committed this appalling attack came forward to the police and ensured that the scum involved are brought to justice.

Werent two arrested?

With all due respects only a select few know what happened that night. So until the facts are established I would suggest we are better off going nothing.

With all due respects only a select few know what happened that night. So until the facts are established I would suggest we are better off going nothing.

The guy is in a critical condition in hospital. This is a way to show our support for him. Unless you're suggesting he was in some way to blame then I don't see what is wrong with showing our support.

I think the collection, if you choose to donate is more than enough

a minutes applause is more commonly associated with someone who is dead
I see it more as a minute's silence/applause before kick off for someone who has passed away but during the game it is more often as support, e.g. Stan Petrov at Villa

I see it more as a minute's silence/applause before kick off for someone who has passed away but during the game it is more often as support, e.g. Stan Petrov at Villa

Someone who actually has relevance to Villa.

This incident didn't happen at the club or during a game.

I wonder if West Ham are having the same discussions about this..

Can see both sides, here, but from a personal perspective, I think It's a decent gesture.

Whether we like it or not, the incident is and forever will be linked to the match (rightly or wrongly). There's no proof either way as to what happened, but for the moment a Cambridge United supporter, father, husband, son is laying in a hospital bed.

People are judging our club and we've built some bridges this week through the two forums and through the events of Sunday's charity match.

A simple 41st minute* gesture on Friday may not seem a lot, but it allows our club to share a little with the pain involved here and show our support for Simon and equally condoning the events of that evening.

Had the incident been the other way around, I think we would be heartily applauding such a gesture from Cambridge United.

*assuming we haven't all nodded off by then!

The guy is in a critical condition in hospital. This is a way to show our support for him. Unless you're suggesting he was in some way to blame then I don't see what is wrong with showing our support.

I hope to god he pulls through and I have every sympathy with his family. As I say you don't know the circumstances around what happened you only know what the press have told you which again is based on very little. Personally think our collective sympathy is worth more than a minutes applause that we do ten times a season anyway.

I don't think we should do anything until his situation is resolved (hopefully with a good outcome). I'd like to know more about the circumstances as well. Imagine the uproar if it turned out that the guys responsible for him getting beaten up were among those clapping for a minute in support of him.

The cases mentioned in this thread where other clubs have done this at an appropriate minute in the match are, unless I'm mistaken, clear-cut cases of illness or death.

Also, if this were to go ahead, it'd need to be communicated well. I imagine a poorly supported gesture could have the opposite effect to that which is intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back