• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservatives and The General Election

So Dishface doesn't want to serve a third term. I don't want him to serve a second.

Tories are very good if you earn a good wage, own your own house, having savings or investments and have "prospects". They are not very good if you are in need of help, unable to help yourself, young, old or disabled.

Because the vast majority have never had to do menial work, sign on the dole, look after a disabled relative, worry where the next meal is coming from they are divorced from real life. The real magic of the Tories is that they get you not to realise that. They make you believe that what they are doing is GOOD FOR YOU, and its not their fault but (pick any one from the following) single mothers / foreigners / benefits claimaints / trade unions / public servants / the last Government / the EU / Scotland. As a result they get you to believe that your fight is with any of those people, and in doing so you let them sneakily privatise the NHS, close your local library, make champagne tax free, etc etc...... They are very clever.

For example, whilst they've made many people miserable over the last five years by cutting welfare, making it almost impossible to get, bringing in the bedroom tax (how on earth did they get away with that), slashing services and the like in the name of austerity; they've also borrowed more money than all the previous Labour administrations added together. Cool trick that, don't you think?

LOL I make one post which is relevant to the current political base and suddenly I am bracketed in the same way as Barna in his old days of posting several...I think things have changed since then, but once again your view point on THE Actual POST is greatly received...X

Sorry Cricko, I didn't understand the OP and still don't.

So Dishface doesn't want to serve a third term. I don't want him to serve a second.

Tories are very good if you earn a good wage, own your own house, having savings or investments and have "prospects". They are not very good if you are in need of help, unable to help yourself, young, old or disabled.

Because the vast majority have never had to do menial work, sign on the dole, look after a disabled relative, worry where the next meal is coming from they are divorced from real life. The real magic of the Tories is that they get you not to realise that. They make you believe that what they are doing is GOOD FOR YOU, and its not their fault but (pick any one from the following) single mothers / foreigners / benefits claimaints / trade unions / public servants / the last Government / the EU / Scotland. As a result they get you to believe that your fight is with any of those people, and in doing so you let them sneakily privatise the NHS, close your local library, make champagne tax free, etc etc...... They are very clever.

For example, whilst they've made many people miserable over the last five years by cutting welfare, making it almost impossible to get, bringing in the bedroom tax (how on earth did they get away with that), slashing services and the like in the name of austerity; they've also borrowed more money than all the previous Labour administrations added together. Cool trick that, don't you think?

Divide and rule LF.

I see the Tories are banging on about that letter, but only a measly 100 so called business leaders signed it. What about the thousands that didn't?

Or do the Tories think that these people's views are more important than yours or mine because they have made a few bob?

Divide and rule LF.

I see the Tories are banging on about that letter, but only a measly 100 so called business leaders signed it. What about the thousands that didn't?

Or do the Tories think that these people's views are more important than yours or mine because they have made a few bob?
Most of the signees are Conservative Party donors. I wonder what is in it for them, hmmmm?

Which ever way you intend to vote you must be eligible etc.
The date for registering for postal voting is 20th April.
The You Guv website is clear and easy to use, search and register at postal vote if you need to.
You will need NI number.

And what about the others on the list who once backed Blair/Brown, Hmmmmm?
Blair was the way grassroots Labour accepted to get into power rather than chose to get into power. If he was backed by a load of Tories that is no surprise.
100 business men back the party of zero hours contracts, diminished access to employment tribunals, talk but no action on company tax avoidance. Surprising that.

(Part of) Mark Steel's take on the 100 letter that was front page of the Torygraph;

The unbiased Stuart Rose, a Tory peer worth £34m, explained on Radio 4 that the Conservatives have cut corporation tax for businesses, which will give Britain the strong economy it needs to increase benefits for the disabled.

So that’s why wealthy businessmen want to pay less tax, it’s to help the disabled. When Amazon or Vodafone go to all that trouble to dodge making payments, it’s because they’re saving up to buy all the disabled a solid gold wheelchair, and replace guide dogs with more efficient but much more expensive guide pandas.

If you look up the businessmen on the letter published yesterday, in the alphabetical order in which their names appear, to see whether any of them have tax-dodging connections, you’ll be disappointed. Because the very first one is Rooney Anand, who was chief executive of Greene King brewers when it was taken to court by the tax office, for “making taxable income vanish into thin air” by arranging a £300m "internal loan" that was even condemned by the Conservative MP on the Public Accounts Committee.

This is a shame as it would be more fun to at least get as far as the sixth or seventh one before finding a tax scandal, for a bit of sport. But there he is, right at the top, this brave businessman prepared to spend however long it takes with his accountants so he can pay as little tax as possible to help the disabled.

George Osborne proclaimed the letter an “unprecedented intervention” from businessmen, though it turned out the Tories had organised the whole thing.

(Part of) Mark Steel's take on the 100 letter that was front page of the Torygraph;

The unbiased Stuart Rose, a Tory peer worth £34m, explained on Radio 4 that the Conservatives have cut corporation tax for businesses, which will give Britain the strong economy it needs to increase benefits for the disabled.

So that’s why wealthy businessmen want to pay less tax, it’s to help the disabled. When Amazon or Vodafone go to all that trouble to dodge making payments, it’s because they’re saving up to buy all the disabled a solid gold wheelchair, and replace guide dogs with more efficient but much more expensive guide pandas.

If you look up the businessmen on the letter published yesterday, in the alphabetical order in which their names appear, to see whether any of them have tax-dodging connections, you’ll be disappointed. Because the very first one is Rooney Anand, who was chief executive of Greene King brewers when it was taken to court by the tax office, for “making taxable income vanish into thin air” by arranging a £300m "internal loan" that was even condemned by the Conservative MP on the Public Accounts Committee.

This is a shame as it would be more fun to at least get as far as the sixth or seventh one before finding a tax scandal, for a bit of sport. But there he is, right at the top, this brave businessman prepared to spend however long it takes with his accountants so he can pay as little tax as possible to help the disabled.

George Osborne proclaimed the letter an “unprecedented intervention” from businessmen, though it turned out the Tories had organised the whole thing.

That is all rather shocking. The Tories at the moment do seem to be being very underhand. The problem is people may well fall for it. I guess the real worry is if this is the kind of crap they're coming out with now, heaven knows what they have up their sleeve for the weeks to come.

Didn't their assertion that labour would increase the tax bill by about three grand a family also turn out to be complete and utter bollocks?

That is all rather shocking. The Tories at the moment do seem to be being very underhand. The problem is people may well fall for it. I guess the real worry is if this is the kind of crap they're coming out with now, heaven knows what they have up their sleeve for the weeks to come.

Didn't their assertion that labour would increase the tax bill by about three grand a family also turn out to be complete and utter bollocks?
Well, let's ask Mark Steel:

It’s an outlook that results in the marvel that is Grant Shapps. He’s the Tory Party chairman who was caught apparently lying about having a second job while he was an MP, but explained this by saying he’d only “over-firmly denied” having the job. On Newsnight this week he was asked about this episode and said he was “proud to have been in a successful business”.

He’s now responsible for a large part of the Conservative campaign, such as claiming Labour will cost everyone thousands in tax with a figure he’s already been forced to over-firmly deny was made up, but it’s all right having a proven over-firmly denier in charge because successful business trumps everything.

The Conservatives admitted fairly quickly that they'd pretty much plucked that number out of thin air.

No, indeed. Sneaky clever really - the first statement makes the front pages, the admission tucked away inside.

I can think of a good analogy to that regarding blokes and the size of their you know whats!!! :blush:

Promise so much and deliver so little. Pretty much the same as the majority of politicians.

I see that nice TB has thrown his hat into the ring over the EU.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32198938

Is it really a bad thing that a party has given THE PEOPLE a chance to vote whether we want to be part of the EU? Surely the result of a referendum would be one determined by democracy and free will of the people voting? Seems one party wants to offer us a chance to be heard and the other wants to prevent democracy and gag us all......

Is it really a bad thing that a party has given THE PEOPLE a chance to vote whether we want to be part of the EU? Surely the result of a referendum would be one determined by democracy and free will of the people voting? Seems one party wants to offer us a chance to be heard and the other wants to prevent democracy and gag us all......

I seem to remember there was a referendum in 1975.I distinctly remember voting against British membership of the EEC.

I also remember politicians at the time saying this would be the only opportunity to vote on the issue.

Both the Labour Party and the Lib/Dems have signed up to a referendum on the EU if there are any major, future, constitutional changes to the EU.That's good enough for me,personally.

I seem to remember there was a referendum in 1975.I distinctly remember voting against British membership of the EEC.

I also remember politicians at the time saying this would be the only opportunity to vote on the issue.

Both the Labour Party and the Lib/Dems have signed up to a referendum on the EU if there are any major, future, constitutional changes to the EU.That's good enough for me,personally.

The referendum was for the EEC (trade) not political union.

The referendum was for the EEC (trade) not political union.

Quite.Changes made in the direction of political union have been made by politicians (of both the major parties),since then.

If you disapprove of Britain's membership of the EU, then I suggest you vote Tory next month.That way you will get a referendum within two years. :winking:

Quite.Changes made in the direction of political union have been made by politicians (of both the major parties),since then.

If you disapprove of Britain's membership of the EU, then I suggest you vote Tory next month.That way you will get a referendum within two years. :winking:

No thanks....I will stick with UKIP.

Back