• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United's Adam Barrett could reconsider decision to retire

Think the decision will be Brown's/his replacement's, whether they want AB here next season to play a role or if he'd just end up sat on the bench, and that could hinge on which league we're in. Completely understand and agree with AB saying this but if I were him then I'd have kept quiet a bit longer to get a better picture of next season.

Think the decision will be Brown's/his replacement's, whether they want AB here next season to play a role or if he'd just end up sat on the bench, and that could hinge on which league we're in. Completely understand and agree with AB saying this but if I were him then I'd have kept quiet a bit longer to get a better picture of next season.

Agree with your post, although this could be a hint to Brown to say "keep playing me and I'll consider being here next season".

Think that if he stays then we will have a good defence for next season with him and Prosser providing experience and Thompson and Bolger will keep improving.

Jamie Cureton is top of his game at 39! You can be a lucky one and stay fit in the later stages of your career.
If Barrett can do that, then there is no reason why he can't continue.

Fantastic if it happens. If he does another season with us then can we swear on the holy book of football rules not to have a go at him when he finally starts to lose it?

Simple. No promotion he stays. Promotion and it is ta ta !

I kind of get your logic , but why would promotion turn him from first choice CB to not good enough ?
Do you mean that Prosser and Thompson should also be moved on if we go up ?

I kind of get your logic , but why would promotion turn him from first choice CB to not good enough ?

Great news regarding Barrett but lets not dance naked in the streets just yet - he's considering only and there's the small matter of getting a contract. Thompson and Prosser I imagine are first choice in Browns eyes and then possibly Bolger - Adam would be fourth choice IMO.

I have, happily, to admit the return of Adam has gone better than I would have imagined. For a change, it's good to say something nice regarding one of our returnees and I'm delighted to have, so far, been proved wrong. Another year? Well, for me, I think it very much depends where we are next season. If we're still languishing in the basement division I believe he can still do a job for us. If we're promoted, then I'd have to be hard and question if, at his age and with his lack of pace, he'd be found out in League One?
So in the end, I'm agreeing with *ORM*

I love the guy. Would keep him next season.. Great to have someone who is as passionate about the club as he is. I'm sure it must rub off on the rest of the squad which can't be a bad thing. Also if he keeps playing like this he deserves another contract

Nope. Any out of contract player gets considered on equal merits and in a stronger division AB doesn't cut the mustard with his age and fitness. Whether Prosser or Thommo get contracts depends on many factors. Either way promotion needs a stronger squad than we have today

Nope. Any out of contract player gets considered on equal merits and in a stronger division AB doesn't cut the mustard with his age and fitness. Whether Prosser or Thommo get contracts depends on many factors. Either way promotion needs a stronger squad than we have today

Although you may be right on your first point , it is not necessarily the case.
Barrett was never the quickest player so don't think any perceived loss of pace equates to fitness as such.
I fully agree with your second point.

Great news regarding Barrett but lets not dance naked in the streets just yet - he's considering only and there's the small matter of getting a contract. Thompson and Prosser I imagine are first choice in Browns eyes and then possibly Bolger - Adam would be fourth choice IMO.

I don't read it the same way. When he announced his retirement he wasn't playing and prob wasn't in a positive frame of mind. Having now played a couple of games it has reminded him of what he will miss. To me he is clearly saying that if Brown makes him part of the first choice pairing then he will stay. If Brown can't/won't do this then he leaves. However who knows, the more he Omaha the more he will want to stay imo.

Still think he has a lot to give, and could help improve the young uns around him, besides what he may lack in pace he more than makes up for in Mr Browns favourite "nous" :smile:

how helpful Adam could be even just as a captain in the developement Squad, the on field guidance and expertise he could give too the young central defenders just out of the Academy,throw that in with some 1st team games and he will be worth his weight in gold to SUFC.

Back