• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
It was always going to be difficult against a side fighting for their life, but another 3 points on the board :smiles:

Bentley equals the club record of 10 clean sheets in a row at home. :clap:

Not a great advert for league two football but a win is a win. Corr on fire. Excellent effort from the entire ground singing at the end to see the boys over the line. Lovely moment for Dan to break the record too.

Another win to make 3 on the bounce, another goal from Corr, cant argue with that, shame it didnt have much of an effect as top 7 won.

Only 6 points off of what we got under Tilson's promotion year too, 80 points got teams promoted that year, going to need more this year.

For anyone who didn't attend but like to compile negative stats , Jake Cassidy failed to score again.
For those who did attend and understand a bit about what makes a 'team'. , I'm sure you will agree with me in stating that he had another fine game today , leading the line and holding the ball up.
Well done young man and really hope you break your duck soon .

Bentley 5.5 - very fortunate to get away with misjudging a couple of crosses, which Tranmere's best chances came from.
White 6
Bolger 6
Barrett 6.5 - Looked the most assured out of the defence.
Coker 6
McLaughlin 5.5 - Didn't do much of note
Timlin 6
Atkinson 6.5 - Not sure if he meant the corner but looked threatening and should have had a penalty.
Deegan 5.5 - Wayward passing as you'd expect but didn't really impose himself defensively either
Cassidy 6.5 - Never looked like scoring but looked good on the ball and played some nice passes, probably my MotM.
Corr 6.5 - Reacted well for the goal and made himself a nuisance until he came off.

Piggott 6 - Looker lively when he came on but quickly faded, not really his fault though since we invited pressure for the last quarter of the game.
Worrall 6

I actually thought Cassidy was the classiest looking player on the pitch and with a bit more midfield quality, could've been more of an influence. A pretty dire game but we don't really have a team that can storm its way to promotion. Its hard to watch at times but it is pragmatic and were getting over the line. We would all like something more free flowing but that's not where were at presently. As said previously, a win is a win.

All told today's game was a bit of a struggle; Rovers really wanted to get a point and worked very hard: as did the Blue Boys.
The ref however was a muppet; pen for Corr 1st half? Pen for Willo 2nd half? Sending off for kicking ball away then clapping the yellow? - poor decisions from him and East side lino all game.
Dan, 6, not a lot to do but weak catching and cross collection selection.
JW, 6, not a lot to do, fair in 1st half, not so good in 2nd.
Cokes, 6 see above.
Adam, 7, tried to work some distribution, should have scored.
CB, 7, some good, some bad, got in tight on their big forward.
Willo, 7, still improving, especially when going forward, should have been awarded pen, (or a corner at least?)
Deegs, 7, kept it simple, good partnership with Tims.
Tims, 7, see above
Mac, 6, OK, not great, he is working more for team now and faded after good 1st half.
Cassidy, 7, good control, tireless team player.
Barry, 7, well taken goal, always a menace.

Subs. Wozza, 7, should start? Pig 6.

Odd subs bench with 3 wingers + Jack and no dedicated CB (Mads told me he is fully fit).

Again PB made ZERO attacking info to the team; nor did he harangue them for dropping so far back & back and back in 2nd half; but he did make right choices for starting 11 and subs used IMO.

Now for the Welsh Boyos on Tuesday!

Could quite easily end up with 83 points and not go up again. On another note, that was probably the most inept group of officials I have seen this season.

How was that Tranmere player not given a second yellow for doing the ****** gesture at the ref?

Southend United 1, Tranmere Rovers 0

BARRY Corr’s ninth goal in 11 games secured Southend United a nervy 1-0 win against Tranmere Rovers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Even though we were poor today, we deserved the win against an abysmal Tranmere team. Felt sorry for their fans especially when your team are fighting for their lives and they put in a gutless display like that. Thought we started with the wrong line-up today. As much as I like Deegan, didnt think we needed him today, would have rather seen Atkinson in the middle with Timlin and Worall out wide. We were crying out for a bit of width and pace in the first half, as both Atkinson and Mclaughlin were drifting inside too much. Few dodgy moments, especially when Bentley came and completely missed the ball. Also Barrett disappearing up front whenever he felt like it, although he was unlucky not to score from a corner. Great piece of skill near the end by Atkinson.Overall a comfortable victory, and a goal from a corner.Need to be much better though in our remaining games, which I think we can be. Cant believe im saying it, but I thought Atkinson was man of the match today. Atkinson 8, the rest 7s

Even though we were poor today, we deserved the win against an abysmal Tranmere team. Felt sorry for their fans especially when your team are fighting for their lives and they put in a gutless display like that. Thought we started with the wrong line-up today. As much as I like Deegan, didnt think we needed him today, would have rather seen Atkinson in the middle with Timlin and Worall out wide. We were crying out for a bit of width and pace in the first half, as both Atkinson and Mclaughlin were drifting inside too much. Few dodgy moments, especially when Bentley came and completely missed the ball. Also Barrett disappearing up front whenever he felt like it, although he was unlucky not to score from a corner. Great piece of skill near the end by Atkinson.Overall a comfortable victory, and a goal from a corner.Need to be much better though in our remaining games, which I think we can be. Cant believe im saying it, but I thought Atkinson was man of the match today. Atkinson 8, the rest 7s

Just goes to show how differently people see a game.

I thought Deegan was immense and hardly put a foot wrong. Great partnership with Michael Timlin, talked all the time, organised and simple but effective passing. Had a great game and would hope he continues there as he is far better in the centre than Atkinson.

Tough game against a side fighting for their lives. They really threw everything at us and a better team would have taken some of their chances but they really lacked any quality to finish anything off, first half was solid, we didn't particularly look dangerous at all and the goal was more luck than judgement from Barry, but shows the importance of actually taking a corner properly and not this short corner rubbish! Second half was desperate stuff and they pinned us back for the majority, though we looked threatening on the break a couple of times. These are the games we have to win to be successful at this time of the season and we did it which puts us in some good form for a vital couple of games.

Bentley 7 Some great stops in the first half and his distribution created some counter attacks, a bit less safe second half and flapped at one cross but did a good job
White 7 Solid and not troubled by them, could have offered more going forward
Barrett 7 Solid defensively, but naive in conceding some fouls but dominated their strikers
Bolger 8 Best I've seen him play, some great tackles and blocks and won almost every header, along with being more restrained with his long passes!
Coker 6 Not his usual self in recent weeks and wasted the ball quite often today
Atkinson 8 Still not convinced he should be playing out wide but he worked hard and got at them which caused problems, particularly in the second half
Timlin 7 Solid and moved the ball around and won his tackles
Deegan 8 Dominated the midfield and they looked terrified of him, understandably so!
McLoughlin 6 Lazy tracking back and barely threatened going forward, dragged inside far too often
Corr 7 Tough game as they wound him up but took his chance
Cassidy 7 Worked hard and had a couple of chances but never had too great an influence

Subs
Worrall 7 Did what he could but mostly defensive duties
Piggott 6 Chased the ball around but gave up too easily at times

Special mention for the referee who was especially atrocious today. Two what seemed like blatant penalties, what should have been a red card for their 29 and various handballs and inconsistencies. Typical of the frustratingly low standards of refereeing in this division but he's been the worst I've seen this season.

Felt we could have gotten at them and got another goal today really, perhaps Brown was too happy to sit back and defend the lead but at the same time they were throwing everything at us so going forward would have been a gamble, particularly at 1-0 up, and we did well to withstand the barrage. Hard to see how Lenny will get back into that midfield too.

3 points is 3 points, but another uninspiring performance at home for me. For a team who is going to reach the play-offs we have yet to score 3 goals at home this season. We have pretty much struggled to be convincing at Roots Hall all season.

Just goes to show how differently people see a game.

I thought Deegan was immense and hardly put a foot wrong. Great partnership with Michael Timlin, talked all the time, organised and simple but effective passing. Had a great game and would hope he continues there as he is far better in the centre than Atkinson.

Same here for me and people around me. I had Deegan as man of the match. Won most of the tackles , as you would expect , but we all thought his passing was simple . As above, also thought the partnership with Timlin was all action today in a congested middle of the park . Great work rate from all the lads. In a difficult game , due to Tranmere throwing long balls at us for most of the second half, not one player lost their head. They worked as hard as they could , right to the final whistle . A true testiment I feel to the spirit within this squad. Finally, can I say that i Bolger was excellent again today.

Back