• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Phillips tweeted that our last centre-back to score was John Egan with his storming goal against Scunthorpe in March 2014!!

Never forget.

[video=youtube;HxsZqROB4n8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxsZqROB4n8[/video]

As you well know no team can turn it on every game,442 has a simple formula which is get bodies into their box.

Football is a simple game but sadly coaches/managers over complicate.

Of course we can't play like that every game, yet that is probably the first time it has happened at home this season.

As for football being a "simple game", if you mean the objective is simple (i.e. score more than the other team) then yes, but if you actually bring a hint of tactical awareness into it then it becomes complex. If it was so simple then surely anyone could do it and if anyone could do it.

4-4-2 is the right system at this level (4-5-1 only really works if you've got someone like Lionel Messi playing for you).

There are many reasons why we've been off our game at times. Not always to do with us, but sometimes the way the opposition sets up.

It's about the personnel, but more importantly about the pace we play at and the movement.

Cassidy and Pigott's movement was excellent last night, allowing McLaughlin and Atkinson to come inside them and create problems with the spaces created.

Both centre-halves for Newport had their hands full all night and this allowed our midfield guys to bomb forward and the full-backs to join up.

It was an open game, but more because of our thought and movement than any gung-ho approach they had.

Can't believe there are more positive comments on Bolger.....yes, it was a commanding performance, and another clean sheet...but he only scored one goal and not once did I see him gurning like Adam Barrett or shouting as loud as Luke Prosser....3/10 for me.

At this level it's more about the tactics of the teams that come to the Hall than what formation we use. 4-5-1 will work sometimes, 4-4-2 will work sometimes, 4-3-3- will work sometimes, 5-3-2 will work sometimes and 4-2-1-2-1 or whatever will work sometimes. But whilst I agree football is simple, the technology at work in todays game means that as soon as you find a system that works, other teams analyse it (everything is pretty much televised) and counter it... and at this level means usually packing men behind the ball and inviting us to "Do our worst". Safety first football.

At professional level it's very difficult for even a top team to break down a lesser team that decide not to play. We did it very effectively against Chelsea.

That said, a team without pace is not going to achieve much. But all pace does is get you to the ball or space quicker, you still have to do something with it. Some ability is required too.

Appreciate the kind words, but us members of TBV sing our hearts out every game, irrespective of the performance or the scoreline. I think praise should be given to those in the East, South and the rest of the West Stand for last nights cracking atmosphere. When all three sides are are joining in it certainly is a fortress and must be a huge boost to our players.
Well done everyone !! :clap:

I don't want to get into a BV argument. I stand in *W and sing every game. Last night was great. But when the football is poor a lot near the front (not all) go to sleep. When someone at the back is singing 'can't hear the blue voice sing' then Clearly there is room for improvement

At this level it's more about the tactics of the teams that come to the Hall than what formation we use. 4-5-1 will work sometimes, 4-4-2 will work sometimes, 4-3-3- will work sometimes, 5-3-2 will work sometimes and 4-2-1-2-1 or whatever will work sometimes. But whilst I agree football is simple, the technology at work in todays game means that as soon as you find a system that works, other teams analyse it (everything is pretty much televised) and counter it... and at this level means usually packing men behind the ball and inviting us to "Do our worst". Safety first football.

At professional level it's very difficult for even a top team to break down a lesser team that decide not to play. We did it very effectively against Chelsea.

That said, a team without pace is not going to achieve much. But all pace does is get you to the ball or space quicker, you still have to do something with it. Some ability is required too.

The idea of football is indeed simple, kick the ball in the net, but as you say its no way as simple as that.

If it is just play 442 and you win then you wouldnt need managers.

We played 442 against Wimbledon at home and lost, played it against Cambridge and drew 0-0. As I said above in the 10 games prior to Easter we managed 3 wins in 10 and sat midtable.

Paul Sturrock scored the most goals we have had at this level and got the most points (so far), playing 451.

Just playing one tactic or another doesn't determine anything, the opposition funnily enough have a big say, the style you play, the players you have, the form of the team, the form of individuals, even pure luck at times.

There are numerous factors which affect games, and Sturrock proved that you can make 451 work from a results perspective even if it was tedious, and even if just for the one season.

Ive never liked the single striker and always preferred wingers , but sadly just playing that system every game doesnt guarantee anything, there are plenty of teams playing 442 in our league who arent in the play offs....

I think the problem with our current team playing with one striker is that it is a system that requires midfielders to get up quickly to support , otherwise the one is isolated and loses possession easily.
Although some of our strikers have been questioned at times , I feel it's more to do with Leonard , Timlin etc not getting into the box enough when we are attacking.

The tempo was so much better last night and it really made a difference. Newport switched to 4-4-2 to accommodate another attacking player on the right wing (Miles Storey) and he absolutely failed to track back, giving plenty of space down the left for McLaughlin and Coker. Atkinson was also terrific in the first half, confident enough to run at players and cause problems. We've really lacked someone willing to run at defenders this season, it creates so much space for other players.

With some of the crosses McLaughlin put in first half, Barry Corr would have been gutted sitting there on the bench. Cassidy and Pigott both guilty of missing good chances, but their movement created much more room for other players and they were key to the performance.

Concur with those who felt Deegan was a little disappointing first half. However, he was awesome after the break and a really nice through ball for McLaughlin's goal. Delighted for Bentley and for Cian Bolger, who has really staked his claim since Thompson's injury. He did however take one right off Barrett's head, which would have been the icing on the cake.

Shame we didn't score more. It seems we are going to go a whole season without scoring three at home for the first time in heaven knows how many years. But it has been a good season overall and we're in the play-offs with nothing to lose now. All we can do is keep winning and hope for a miracle with Wycombe.

That was fun. Played with real purpose and verve. As fbm rightly says, our goal did live something of a charmed life, but things are looking pretty good at the moment.

I t isn't the formation or the speed of the strikers ( neither goal was due to speed of players) it was mire the fact that we continually committed players forward and played the ball forward quickly in front of players. When was the last time both full backs went forward as much On numerous occasions it looked liked we were playing 442 in reverse! Brown or someone must have said something different to them this week. When have we ever committed so many players forward under Brown?

Never - so much better.

Think Piggot and Cassidy too lightweight, get bundled of the ball too easily. No need to try and sign them.McLaughlin has that upper body strength and can hold his own when challenged, pushed, shoved on the run.
Deagan man of the match.
Blue Voice supporters of the night. Even got some of the old farts in the East stand clapping and that says something.

Why were Southend players getting so upset when the guy wanted to limp all the way across the pitch. We were 2-0 up at the time. I could not see why we were in so much of a hurry.

Think Piggot and Cassidy too lightweight, get bundled of the ball too easily. No need to try and sign them.McLaughlin has that upper body strength and can hold his own when challenged, pushed, shoved on the run.
Deagan man of the match.
Blue Voice supporters of the night. Even got some of the old farts in the East stand clapping and that says something.

Oh! your get old one day sonny. If your lucky.

Why were Southend players getting so upset when the guy wanted to limp all the way across the pitch. We were 2-0 up at the time. I could not see why we were in so much of a hurry.

Indeed, the player if injured cant be expected to go all around the pitch, and if not injured they are wasting their own time at 2-0 down. Didnt understand the fuss.

Indeed, the player if injured cant be expected to go all around the pitch, and if not injured they are wasting their own time at 2-0 down. Didnt understand the fuss.

I can only assume the players had the hump with the Ref as he made a fuss over one of our players going off to the nearest touchline to keep the game moving, in this instance he decided to change his mind and allow them to walk the player across the pitch, so the players will get the hump due to inconsistency by the man in the middle , if he was that badly injured then use the stretcher provided by the home club.

enjoyed last nights game, talk about chalk and cheese to the game against TR on Saturday, looking in good shape at the moment for the play-offs, would still like to think we can make the autos but its now a very long shot.
it would be great to have us and Bury in the final at wembley as that would be justice for the finishing positions, however we all know that the these games are a lottery and the form book can go out the window.

What a great game all round. Good attacking play and I give credit to Newport for coming and making a game of it. No parked buses in sight. Blue voice in west stand superb and as I posted elsewhere I couldnt get that song out of my brain for ages.

At least with Deegan and Barrett in the team we have experience and a bit of aggression, so if it goes to play offs today i'm a lot more hopeful than I have been.

Back