• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Poor poor bloke. Can't even begin to imagine what he is going through right now.

That said, I don't feel that a minute's silence or applause is right in this instance.

Also, there will likely be a silence for commemoration of the Bradford fire on Saturday.

Hearing his interview last night was so sad, what a brave bloke and how fitting it was for him to score a screamer and in such and important game. Big respect to the man and his family, really feel for him.

Just seen this and must admit I choked a bit when I read what happened. As others have said what a terrible thing to happen and just a fairy tale ending with his goal and the circumstances around it. Bitter sweet moment if ever there was one.

I think the amazing thing is that he travelled all the way to Bury, knowing he might not even be needed, but had the guts to be there.

Not sure I could do that, leaving people behind like that.

Incredible strength of character.

Must be difficult to even cope with a normal day to day existence, let alone play in a match of that importance.

Kudos!

As harsh as this may sound, when Chris Powell's son died we didn't have a minutes silence. Chris, however, wore a black armband.
Now i've thought about it i realise it was probably a bad suggestion. We should let him deal with the situation in his own way.

The thing is if this hadnt happened to him he would never have taken the free kick.

The fact he used what happened to motivate and push him on is whats pretty inspiring.

Now i've thought about it i realise it was probably a bad suggestion. We should let him deal with the situation in his own way.

"Bad" suggestion sounds harsh, everyone can see it was made with the right intentions. I'm sure DW knows that the whole Shrimper family is behind him, so many Twitter messages of support went his way last night.

I think the amazing thing is that he travelled all the way to Bury, knowing he might not even be needed, but had the guts to be there.

Not sure I could do that, leaving people behind like that.

Incredible strength of character.

Must be difficult to even cope with a normal day to day existence, let alone play in a match of that importance.

Kudos!

In his match interview he said he visited his son's grave in the morning. I'm assuming the squad didn't travel all the way from Southend in the afternoon of the match, and would therefore guess that his son is buried near Bury, where Wozza and his girlfriend's families are from. I would imagine travelling to Bury would have been ideal for him, irrespective of the fact we were playing there last night.

Massive respect to the man for coming out in public and opening up his emotions though. In the football world that's rare and shows class. Agree that a minutes applause would be well intentioned but counterproductive. It's clear that his team mates also feel strongly about this, and the applause may affect more than just DW himself.

A collection would be preferable IMHO - or perhaps even a charity game?

The thing is if this hadnt happened to him he would never have taken the free kick.

The fact he used what happened to motivate and push him on is whats pretty inspiring.

He needs to take them more often. Hopefully this tragedy will inspire him to bigger things

I can find out what DW would like (be it flowers/donations etc) if need be as have a good connection with his home shirt sponsors.

Kev

Wish I could change my POTY vote now to DW. I'm sure the crowd will get behind him on Saturday. After all he is now in the Benji class of folklore. Deepest respect for him.

he clearly sees the support given to him judging by the tweets he favourited on tuesday. my heart goes out to him and his missus.

May be too late but even getting everyone to tweet Chris Phillips with goal of the season being his at Bury, could mean he collects the award before the game kicks off giving us a chance to give him a huge ovation, boost his confidence and then let him go in to the game confident and focused

May be too late but even getting everyone to tweet Chris Phillips with goal of the season being his at Bury, could mean he collects the award before the game kicks off giving us a chance to give him a huge ovation, boost his confidence and then let him go in to the game confident and focused

This is a brilliant idea... Surely we can make that happen.

I'm not really that keen on trying to 'manipulate' awards. Having said that, Worral's goal has to be in the mix for GOTY.

Will get an answer this evening for what Wozza would like (be it flowers / money towards a charity etc) so will update later!

Have spoken to my mate who was with him this afternoon and he doesn't want a song and dance about it as he wants to get on with his life and put it behind him (so no silly clapping / applauses during the game) but would be happy with a donation towards a premature birth charity where the money goes towards a good cause!

Not sure if whoever is in charge / leading this wants to make a new thread or what not but that's how the land lies!

Kev

Last edited:
Back