• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Totally agree.
The way I heard it was that Luton fans still outside the stand were singing.
The Southend fan that reacted was rightly upset , but in hindsight should have ignored like the majority were doing.
Difficult to do , but the right thing nevertheless.
His action then caused the Luton fans in the stand to take the moral high ground ( although not very high at all ).
Not at all defending the Luton fans who started singing , but it could just be that as they were still 'outside' and already singing that they were not aware the minutes silence had started.
All in all , no side came out of that covered in glory.

I thought that as well tbh, but then I thought that the ground was quiet enough, and the tannoy system would've been loud enough to get the message heard outside the ground. Wasn't many singing outside by the sounds of things, so not quite sure how they didn't hear it.

The silence was broken by Luton then one of our fans told them to shut up and so it escalated

Too be fair TB, thats fine, but he didnt really need to use the "C" word to shut them up did he !! Minutes silence, meaning loads of kids etc could hear, plus the laughter that followed was Southend fans. Granted a lot of people at football are now too young to not know of events such as Hillsborough and Valley Parade, but surely these people, that just went to watch a football match to never return, deserve a minutes respect from all other football fans that are lucky enough to leave the ground after the game.

Too be fair TB, thats fine, but he didnt really need to use the "C" word to shut them up did he !! Minutes silence, meaning loads of kids etc could hear, plus the laughter that followed was Southend fans. Granted a lot of people at football are now too young to not know of events such as Hillsborough and Valley Parade, but surely these people, that just went to watch a football match to never return, deserve a minutes respect from all other football fans that are lucky enough to leave the ground after the game.

Correct mate

The "silence" was broken by fans outside the ground who would have had no knowledge of what was going on inside.
For once I agree with Old Blue Eyes(I mean Old Blue Lady)
The Luton fans singing were clearly behind the stand almost certainly outside the ground and therefore unaware of the minutes silence.
For the Southend fan to shout at them was ill advised.
Also the idiot in the South Lower who shouted should have known better as well. Not exactly setting his young son a good example.

Very very sad for our fans to break the silence. Not something we expect from Southend fans.

The smoke bomb incident considering our warning over the last one was stupid. I heard a couple of young lads walking out the ground talking about where they bought it and still thought it was clever. Age will bring maturity I hope.

Totally agree with the above. There is no way the chanting was coming from inside the ground, clearly there was a group of Luton fans outside, that was obvious by the fact the chanting was a bit muffled or distant. The only one to blame was the Southend fan in the west who took it upon himself to stupidly say whatever he said. We were sat in the east stand and the anger towards TBV section was clear. It was embarrassing. I hate Luton and their fans especially after what we witnessed yesterday, however, in this instance I dont blame them for retaliating in this instance. Whether Luton were making noise or not it's a minutes silence and should be respected by all. I'm afraid thus Southend fan has embarrassed himself.

The smoke bomb incident considering our warning over the last one was stupid. I heard a couple of young lads walking out the ground talking about where they bought it and still thought it was clever. Age will bring maturity I hope.

Or a ban, perhaps, when they are identified.

OMG ! Reading this thread there are a lot of Southend supporters with rose tinted glasses.

Yes , the Luton fans still coming into the ground were singing , as its fair to assume they did not realise that there was a one minutes silence occurring . Its fair to assume this as the Luton supporters inside the ground were silent .

Everyone could have let it go and the one minutes silence would have been observed. But as has been pointed out a SOUTHEND fan was the FIRST to break the silence by shouting ' Shut up you xxxxs'

I wonder if people understand the sentence 'one minutes silence ' To eveyone in W and X it was obvious that this is what happened . The Luton fans responded , then so did A LOT of Southend fans. Everyone who responded is in the wrong and has disrespected the minutes silence . The last time I looked it didn't say ' we are now going to observe a minutes silence , however if you want to shout insults that is obviously fine. Don't get me wrong the majority of fans in W were silent, but not everyone and there is no excuse. To even attempt to argue an excuse is pathetic.

I felt ashamed and embarrassed , and the excuses put up on this thread just add to that

Last edited:
re smoke bombs

I don't think a lot of people quite get it . They are banned so the argument ends there are lots of posts on people using the word flare and it should be smoke bomb . Surely this sums up why smoke bombs are banned ? you allow smoke bombs , some one fancies a bit of that but doesn't know the difference between a smoke bomb and a flare and buys a flare. Before anyone thinks 'that's dumb' look at all of the threads here on smoke bombs/flares and see how many times the wrong word is used. Allow smoke bombs, flares will follow .

50,000 fans in Adelaide were quiet during a minutes silence for the ANZAC's.

Another 90,000 did the same at the MCG.

To hear 12,000 people struggle to do the same thing for an utter tragedy is sad, really sad.

This is the whole reason why some clubs use a minutes 'applause' instead of the 'silence' as it's sadly often abused, there is really no excuse.

This is the whole reason why some clubs use a minutes 'applause' instead of the 'silence' as it's sadly often abused, there is really no excuse.

Yes I agree that is a much safer way to go , but guess the 'silence' or applause' may be dictated by the League ?
I understand that many consider the silence to be more fitting , me too , but have also heard this broken by children and/or people with learning difficulties , and in either case it is unjust to take offence.

It depends on what it's for.

A minute's applause is generally to celebrate someone's life.

Whilst I agree it's easier to manage, applause wouldn't seem appropriate for the Bradford Fire.

Whilst disgusted about the breach of the minutes silence, I can see no reference in this thread as to who was responsible for throwing the smoke canister onto the pitch. I could smell it in the East Stand. Surely someone knows who threw it because they must have been next to someone. After the League getting involved after a similar incident at Portsmouth, they will probably come down hard on our club for this repeat. To do this on the very day that we are remembering the Valley Parade fire is insensitive to say the least. Who has got the courage to name and shame the person(s) responsible for tarnishing our club's great supporters reputation? On what was probably a defining day in our season, the rest of our supporters were, as usual, magnificient.

Are these smoke bombs easy to buy then ? I wouldn't know where to start. I also cant think of any legitimate use for them. Why are they legally sold ? Bobby Dazzler mentioned earlier that he "heard a couple of young lads walking out the ground talking about where they bought it". Can he name and shame the source of this smoke bomb so that the authorities can stop the irresponsible selling of them in the first place ?

Are these smoke bombs easy to buy then ? I wouldn't know where to start. I also cant think of any legitimate use for them. Why are they legally sold ? Bobby Dazzler mentioned earlier that he "heard a couple of young lads walking out the ground talking about where they bought it". Can he name and shame the source of this smoke bomb so that the authorities can stop the irresponsible selling of them in the first place ?

There are many YouTube videos on how to make them simply with a toilet roll and duct tape then just add the ingredients not hard to find with a quick search.

IMO the real reason is that clubs realise that some moronic people who choose to attend have no respect for anything apart from their believed right to do what they want when they want. Therefore they have the in ability (or don't feel it necessary) to observe a 1 minute silence by keeping their gobs shut for just 60 seconds.

Having the applause rather than the silence sells out to that.

Can i suggest a flawless plan Involuntary euthanasia.

The person who shouted 'shut up you Luton c u next Tuesday' from the west stand is just as bad I felt ashamed to be a southend fan at that moment. Is it really asking too much to be silent for minute?

As for the smoke bomb I just hope the person who let that off is identified and banned from Roots Hall. Sooner or later someoneemeone is going to get seriously hurt or worse with this worrying trend of bringing in smoke bombs and flares into football grounds

Back