• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OK so here's the scenario as I see it.

One match ban if we don't appeal.
Appeal fails - 2 matches.
Appeal succeeds - no ban.

Is that right?

Incorrect. An extra game is only added on if the panel see absolutely no reason for the appeal and it is a stone wall red and therefore wasting their time with the appeal.

Personally, I think it's worth an appeal, as if any card was to be awarded, it should've been a yellow at most.

Opinions of any refs on here on the red card incident? Is it worth an appeal?

Straight red is 3 games for violent conduct, isn't it?

(Oops - beaten to it!)

If an extra game ban was added he would still be available for the final, a red card is a ONE match ban unless it was shown for violent conduct (3 match ban). It's rare to get an extra 1 match ban on appeal. It was designed to stop clubs deliberately appealing red cards in circumstances when appeals were heard after the teams next game, say a player got sent off on Saturday and the appeal was heard on a Wednesday but the club had a game on a Tuesday the club would appeal so player would be available for the Tuesday.

I am sure a straight red is three matches and two yellows for a red is a one match ban. Am happy to be corrected if wrong.

Doesn't really matter how malicious the tackle is, if you foul someone and you're the last man you have to go.

That being said, he didn't foul him and he wasn't the last man so the referees have made a howler.

If we appeal and are unsuccessful please don't bring in JBW Phil, my nerves won't take it, keep Prosser there
Anyone know where he was yesterday? Unusual for him not to be on the bench. Agreed about Prosser though, and he has played there before under Sturrock, when he and Chrissie Barker both played in both positions.

Should not appeal in my opinion. The only basis for an appeal to the referee's decision is one of mistaken identity. The referee deemed that Coker denied their player 'a goalscoring opportunity' when he committed the foul. Rightly or wrongly, that was the decision at the time and we will just have to live with it. Any appeal runs the risk of being deemed frivolous (which I'm sure it would be) and will result in an extra ban for Coker.

that is not true , A simple recent example to prove the point is Adrian at West Ham

Just seen the highlights and confirmed what I thought at the time; absolutely shocking decision, was never a goal scoring opportunity in a million years; Bolger was right to next to their attacker, so I have no idea why the ref and linemans decided it was a red!!!

It certainly wasn't violent conduct, therefore we should appeal 100%.

To confirm Great Yarmouth's comment; a straight red for violent conduct is a 3 match ban; straight red for denying a goalscoring opportunity (including deliverable handball) is a one match ban.

Saw it at the time and felt that if he did indeed catch him then it would depend on where Barrett and Bolger were in relation to the player had he got through. It was 50/50 in real time.

having looked at it last night afterwards, I felt that the player was probably through on goal, but I do not feel that Coker touched him and an appeal is probably worth it.

Should not appeal in my opinion. The only basis for an appeal to the referee's decision is one of mistaken identity. The referee deemed that Coker denied their player 'a goalscoring opportunity' when he committed the foul. Rightly or wrongly, that was the decision at the time and we will just have to live with it. Any appeal runs the risk of being deemed frivolous (which I'm sure it would be) and will result in an extra ban for Coker.

Completely disagree. There are more grounds to appeal than just mistaken identity. IMO the ref got it wrong. Even if you accept it was a foul (which I don't) Coker wasn't the last man. Bolger would have got a challenge in. It was therefore not an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity, and is therefore worth an appeal.

I also don't think an appeal would be deemed frivolous because there is plenty to argue, it certainly isn't a cut and dried red card.

Just as a matter of interest, in the lower leagues, how does the appeal work?

Obviously at Premier League level Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Alan Shearer and Uncle Tom Cobbly have had about 50 replays and analysed it to the hilt, so it heavily influences the appeal process, but if the appeal is based on what the FL Show aired, I think you wouldn't be able to tell 100% either way and the red card would stand, IMHO.

It should have been a card without doubt, leaving the decision on the colour. If the ref thought Bolger had any chance of getting there then a yellow, otherwise a red.

Bolger looked to me to be level with the guy at the time, and the replay shows similar, so he would have a chance of getting there.

So appeal, albeit with little expectation as the league likes to back the refs. I do wonder though, if the importance of next weeks game will mean they do the right thing rather than back the ref

Just seen the highlights. Never ever a red card. Coker puts out his right arm, hardly touches the guy, Coker trips and falls, again Coker hardly touches the guy. The Luton player goes down like he's been shot. Bolger is right next to him, so is covering.

The ref got that very very wrong.

I was in the East stand and the incident was right in front of me. At the time I felt that their player had got in front of Coker who deliberately stopped him from advancing on goal. I thought at the time that Coker had taken one for the team. I remember seeing Bolger coming over but whether he would have got there I'm not sure. Straight away I thought it might be a red and noticed that the ref took his time in deciding which card to give him. Haven't seen the FL show yet so don't know what it shows on TV but it was one of those fouls that you always run the risk of a red. My honest opinion is that it was a red as I'm sure the Luton player would have got a shot away. Hope the TV proves me totally wrong as Coker was playing very well yesterday and is a class act.

In live time my thoughts were it was a risky tackle but needed, and Bolger was covering. Also thought at the time that the Luton player took another step or two before going down, though from the South Stand couldn't tell if that was a dive or just his momentum. Was very surprised it was a red, think it was heavily influenced by the away fans and their players surrounding the ref. Can't see how it would be unsuccessful on appeal, although as some people have said it may be unsuccessful if they deem it should have been a yellow and the FA would keep it as a red as they can't reduce to a yellow so it's red or nothing.

I thought that the suspension was only extended if it was deemed a "frivolous appeal" e.g. Freddy many years ago

So many right and wrong interpretations of the rules regarding the appeal process and suspensions on here.

For example, its either a red or nothing, they can't downgrade it to a yellow?

Is it a 3 game, or 1 game ban ?

What is correct?

I have no idea, can someone with a bit more knowledge or too much time on their hands clear this up?

So many right and wrong interpretations of the rules regarding the appeal process and suspensions on here.

For example, its either a red or nothing, they can't downgrade it to a yellow?

Is it a 3 game, or 1 game ban ?

What is correct?

I have no idea, can someone with a bit more knowledge or too much time on their hands clear this up?
Have had a quick read, for denial of a goal scoring opportunity it is a 1 match ban, the disciplinary committee can lengthen it but a straight red is usually only one match ban unless it's violent conduct.

I'm fairly certain that they would only overturn the red card, not change it to a yellow, though I can't find much on this.

If the red card is upheld, the committee can then choose to extend the ban or not, though in most cases they do not it can happen.

This is quite a good read for more info http://playtheadvantage.com/2014/02/06/what-a-red-card-appeal-really-means-part-one/

The FA said:
The Regulatory Commission that considers a claim of wrongful dismissal is concerned withonly the question of whether any sanction of a suspension from play is one which shouldbe imposed in view of the facts of the case.
Seems to back up the red or nothing idea.

The FA said:
If the Commission’s decision is to reject the claim, it will, in every case, go on toconsider whether or not the player’s punishment should be increased.
If the Commission considers that the rejected claim had no prospect of successand / or amounts to an abuse of process, the Commission shall have the discretionto increase the penalty up to twice the standard punishment set out in thisMemorandum.
In all other cases, the Player reported by the Referee shall serve the standardpunishment as set out in this Memorandum. In all cases where a claim is rejected the fee shall be retained.

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/rules-of-the-association/2013-14/memorandum-of-disciplinary-procedures---section-a_b_c.ashx

Either way the club has to give notice of appeal by Monday and submit an appeal by Tuesday if they are going to.

Back