• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As a side issue - I hope your son doesn't dump you. My old man took me as an 8 year old in 1986 and we still sit together now . I've made friends at football, good mates, but I will never sit in a football ground away from my Dad if we are both at the same game !

Yeah I couldn't imagine not watching the game with my old man and my brothers.

I am awaiting to be told it's all my fault I should have been there I am the father of the flock SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

I am sure blame is not far way

Not your fault mate - nobody is expecting you to police a large bunch of adolescents. As I say, the problems all begin at home - yes, kids will be kids and do silly thing, but the kind of behaviour discussed above comes down to nothing more/less than having some respect. That has to be taught.

Why certain individuals go to a game of football and take their brain out is beyond me.
This would not happen if they're with their family in a restaurant! so why at a football ground?
As has been said we have all been young and done things we're not proud of but wherever you go you will always be tied to the club.
Sadly the good things will always be overshadowed by the bad things (community day versus Cambridge).
Yes it is a very small minority(not just adolescents).
As Sherif says Respect!

One thing that was discussed on the coach home last night was the stewarding. Now it has been said that it was handled well but the one thing that has come to mind for me is why were the fans allowed to stand on the concourse anyway? A few stood there at the start of the second half rather than get back into the terrace.

If the stewards had made everybody go back into the terrace before the second half started and then guided and wayward fans back into the terrace and kept watch at the stairs, I am pretty sure the debacle wouldn't have happened at all

I am awaiting to be told it's all my fault I should have been there I am the father of the flock SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

I am sure blame is not far way

8 pages in and no one in any way has mentioned you or TBV. The only person to bring it up is you ! Sorry Scott- but its a pretty sad post.

One thing that was discussed on the coach home last night was the stewarding. Now it has been said that it was handled well but the one thing that has come to mind for me is why were the fans allowed to stand on the concourse anyway? A few stood there at the start of the second half rather than get back into the terrace.

If the stewards had made everybody go back into the terrace before the second half started and then guided and wayward fans back into the terrace and kept watch at the stairs, I am pretty sure the debacle wouldn't have happened at all

Exactly what we said, and I think I've already mentioned somewhere on one of the threads.

Exactly what we said, and I think I've already mentioned somewhere on one of the threads.
I have mentioned before, there are about a dozen morons that follow Southend at away games and would appear to have the sole intention of being obstructive to stewards, by refusing to sit, or refusing to clear the aisles with yellow markings. They think they are clever in their childlike little group but have no idea how pathetic they look.
The majority of the away following are sensible and respectful people as seen at Morecambe when most of our fans applauded Drummond the Morecambe player who had given long service and set to retire. Being exiled in North Wales I try and have a chat with our travelling fans and am always struck by the friendliness and swapping travel tales is all part of my enjoyment of the games, but the pathetic youngsters do spoil it for everyone.
Parents would be ashamed if they saw how their offspring act up.
A tougher line by stewards would sort it out but they are usually small in number and rarely supported by police these days due to costs to club.:sad:

As an ex steward at SUFC our job was to show people to their seat, where to park their car and basically be at hand to help anybody if needed. It was the security job to deal with potential pitch invasion and trouble in the stands. However due to lack of finances stewards got placed alongside the pitch to act as a deterrent for potential pitch invasion although none of us had any training, while every security member were trained and certificated (think doormen).
If anybody was on the North Terrace they would had seen an old female steward guarding the entrance to the pitch, what do you think she would had done if 20-30 lads had run on the pitch?
At the end of the day all stewards are visible deterrents.

As he said Trust coach 2, jersey shrimper, message me and if you can, let me know where you were sitting so we can try and identify the person.

This is the trouble with travel like we had on Saturday, you get a lot of non regulars who don't "get" the idea of how to behave. Despite having made it quite clear we would allow reasonable time for celebrating, if necessary, we had two who didn't get back to the coach till 5.30....no apologies.

We also had a group of about 9 of what you would probably suspect might be the young lads heavily criticised on here. Not the case for us, they were as good as gold, very respectful. Our only problem was the mess of crushed biscuits and stuff they left behind at the back of the coach! Don't judge them all by a few poorly behaved ones.
I was late back to my car too after waiting in the rain like an idiot, anticipating an appearance from our players. The public address stated both sets of players would appear and Morecambes did understandably but not our sorry lot.
Yeah they did give a wave as they left and would have been downhearted but so were many of us who had got up at 5am, travelled all that distance, spent good money and gave the team great support. They could at least have got someone to tell us they were not coming out. Not the first time supporters have been ignored in this way either.
Surprising because Phil Brown always appears to like greeting supporters when they arrive at away grounds.:sad:

I have mentioned before, there are about a dozen morons that follow Southend at away games and would appear to have the sole intention of being obstructive to stewards, by refusing to sit, or refusing to clear the aisles with yellow markings. They think they are clever in their childlike little group but have no idea how pathetic they look.
The majority of the away following are sensible and respectful people as seen at Morecambe when most of our fans applauded Drummond the Morecambe player who had given long service and set to retire. Being exiled in North Wales I try and have a chat with our travelling fans and am always struck by the friendliness and swapping travel tales is all part of my enjoyment of the games, but the pathetic youngsters do spoil it for everyone.
Parents would be ashamed if they saw how their offspring act up.
A tougher line by stewards would sort it out but they are usually small in number and rarely supported by police these days due to costs to club.:sad:

You say the stewards should have sorted it out, but I've never seen a steward intervention that's been welcomed by SUFC fans - people always complain when stweards get involved.
And it's not for the stewards to sort out other people's unruly behaviour - people need to take some responsibility. The same with kids messing around at school - it's not the teacher's job to sort them out - it's the parents job to bring them up better.

You say the stewards should have sorted it out, but I've never seen a steward intervention that's been welcomed by SUFC fans - people always complain when stweards get involved.
And it's not for the stewards to sort out other people's unruly behaviour - people need to take some responsibility. The same with kids messing around at school - it's not the teacher's job to sort them out - it's the parents job to bring them up better.
I agree in part but what are stewards employed for? Entering the pitch after being warned not too should have warranted some intervention by stewards. I accept the idiots on the pitch responded to booing etc from us fans.
Taking your line of leaving it all to others does nothing for my confidence in the next generation. I think it is part of a teachers job educate in every aspect of a youngster time at school.
Proper stewarding when called for, may not be welcome but neither is idiotic behaviour affecting others enjoyment.
It is this do nothing attitude that lets the idiot minority carry on as they do. Intoxicants probably play a part too.:blush:

This whole thread is embarassing, all this site does is dwell on the past, so what some people ran on the pitch? The reaction that small incidents get on here is a joke! Its as if someone was stabbed or beaten to a pulp by our fans, quite laughable really.

This whole thread is embarassing, all this site does is dwell on the past, so what some people ran on the pitch? The reaction that small incidents get on here is a joke! Its as if someone was stabbed or beaten to a pulp by our fans, quite laughable really.

I sense a theme here from BJB.

Back