Likes Likes:  1,757
Page 274 of 309 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 4622

Thread: Jeremy Corbyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tangled up in Blue View Post
    I fully expect Labour under JC to honour A50 (and the referendum result ) and take the UK out of the EU.

You're right that I'm in favour of a united Ireland.However a colleague (from Dublin) assures me there is no realistic chance of that happening any time soon,if ever.

You might find this article interesting on JC and recent opinion polls.https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ion-win-voters

Good luck with that Uni course.Not thinking of politics I hope?
    Any current opinion polls are pointless as we don't know who will be taking over as PM when May steps down.

Labours down fall will be their failure to either back Brexit or fight it. I predict that the Lib Dems will re-emerge in the next 4 years to take enough remain votes from Labour.

Which is exactly why I will not be studding politics if I ever get the chance. I had more than my fair share of suffering because of left wing, self serving and self righteous union officials leading us to certain defeat. Their cosseted group think social bubbles cost every serving and future serving, firefighter dearly.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
    Any current opinion polls are pointless as we don't know who will be taking over as PM when May steps down.
    Interestingly,this is precisely the point made in the article,which I'm presuming you haven't read.

Labours down fall will be their failure to either back Brexit or fight it.
    I predict that the Lib Dems will re-emerge in the next 4 years to take enough remain votes from Labour.
    That's a possible scenario.

Which is exactly why I will not be studding politics if I ever get the chance. I had more than my fair share of suffering because of left wing, self serving and self righteous union officials leading us to certain defeat. Their cosseted group think social bubbles cost every serving and future serving, firefighter dearly.
    There were a couple of older guys on the politics degree course I did.One of them got slung out at the end of the first year.The other got his degree.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

That goes beyond common sense."

Alexander Yakovencko.Russian Ambassador to the UK:

There were a couple of older guys on the politics degree course I did.One of them got slung out at the end of the first year.The other got his degree.
    Perfect example of why people should pay for their own education. Still if uni debt millennial snowflakes are daft enough to vote for free education for me......I will take full advantage. Preferably on some pointless but interesting subject. The best bit will be the snowflakes will pay me rent will I study and then have to pay the long term education debt I will run up......Like I say I love the idea of free education for all.

Perfect example of why people should pay for their own education. Still if uni debt millennial snowflakes are daft enough to vote for free education for me......I will take full advantage. Preferably on some pointless but interesting subject. The best bit will be the snowflakes will pay me rent will I study and then have to pay the long term education debt I will run up......Like I say I love the idea of free education for all.
    Not really.The first guy,who failed his year I exams was, rather amusingly,sent a letter of acceptance by the Poly by mistake.The other bloke,Terry,ran a string of newsagents in Brum.He was ex-army and generally respected (if not liked) for the way he argued in support of his right-wing views.

There is, of course, no such thing as a pointless degree subject (with the possible exception of media studies).Anecdotal I know but a mate's young son is in his second year of unemployment here after switching to MS from archeology.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...duate-earnings
    Last edited by Tangled up in Blue; 13-03-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

Not really.The first guy,who failed his year I exams was, rather amusingly,sent a letter of acceptance by the Poly by mistake.The other bloke,Terry,ran a string of newsagents in Brum.He was ex-army and generally respected (if not liked) for the way he argued in support of his right-wing views.

There is, of course, no such thing as a pointless degree subject (with the possible exception of media studies).Anecdotal I know but a mate's young son is in his second year of unemployment here after switching to MS from archeology.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...duate-earnings
    If so many people will never pay back their uni debt then that proves their degree was pointless. If it was a subject you had no intention of gainfully using then you should pay.

We would be better off encouraging private and certainly big business to fund education. After all they will take the profits and if they really need you to have a degree in a certain subject why not combine it with day release or something similar. Maybe corporation tax should be higher for those that don't participate.

Like wise degrees for nursing or teaching etc should be free providing you stay for 5 or 10 years in that career.

If so many people will never pay back their uni debt then that proves their degree was pointless. If it was a subject you had no intention of gainfully using then you should pay.

We would be better off encouraging private and certainly big business to fund education. After all they will take the profits and if they really need you to have a degree in a certain subject why not combine it with day release or something similar. Maybe corporation tax should be higher for those that don't participate.

Like wise degrees for nursing or teaching etc should be free providing you stay for 5 or 10 years in that career.
    Time for you to F.O. to the USA then.You clearly don't share the liberal and humanitarian values which tertiary education in the UK is based on.

Hector Of The House Benfleet A1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting article in The Guardian concerning JC and why he failed to condem Russia. If someone would be kind enough to pop a link up.

Surprised it hasn't surfaced already, can't imagine why.
    Lord, in your mercy please give my friend a stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Benfleet A1 View Post
    Interesting article in The Guardian concerning JC and why he failed to condem Russia. If someone would be kind enough to pop a link up.

Surprised it hasn't surfaced already, can't imagine why.
    JC was quite right to question the lack of proof of Russia's involvement yesterday.While there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence that Russia is indeed implicated, this lack of proof will eventually scupper any firm international support (other than fine words) from the US,Nato and the EU.
    Apparently,according to the Chemical Weapons Convention, we are required to give Russia a sample of the nerve agent used.We haven't so far.

Time for you to F.O. to the USA then.You clearly don't share the liberal and humanitarian values which tertiary education in the UK is based on.
    That's not very nice Tangled, Just because I don't have your naïve views on education....You may think its fine to waste lots of mine and future generations money, following the latest cool political fashion (the IRA in your day) but I of course don't. Besides I don't have much time for the US.

I would prefer a country that has greatly prospered from the acceptable form of Fascism and its institutional racism....Like Spain for example.

That's not very nice Tangled, Just because I don't have your naïve views on education....You may think its fine to waste lots of mine and future generations money, following the latest cool political fashion (the IRA in your day) but I of course don't. Besides I don't have much time for the US.

I would prefer a country that has greatly prospered from the acceptable form of Fascism and its institutional racism....Like Spain for example.
    Yeah sorry about that but I'd had rather a bad day.My views on education are anything but naive btw,as I've spent much of my life teaching.Sorry you don't have "much time for the US." I think it's a wonderful country (and I spent 3 months there as ayoung man) but obviously I don't have much time for the present incumbent of the White House.

Modern day Spain certainly has its problems,though I'm not aware that "institutional racism" is one of them.Your comment about its "acceptable form of Fascism" would probably be supported by Pablo Iglesias.Funnily enough,I normally vote for the party he leads,Podemos,at local and European elections here.

Good to see an apology, Tangled, I did think your previous post was a bit strong.
    Kennington Shrimpers

JC was quite right to question the lack of proof of Russia's involvement yesterday.While there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence that Russia is indeed implicated, this lack of proof will eventually scupper any firm international support (other than fine words) from the US,Nato and the EU.
    Apparently,according to the Chemical Weapons Convention, we are required to give Russia a sample of the nerve agent used.We haven't so far.
    It is good to hear that a lot of Labour MPs have distanced themselves from his naive comments. Hopefully they'll be able to save the party's reputation.

Yeah sorry about that but I'd had rather a bad day.My views on education are anything but naive btw,as I've spent much of my life teaching.Sorry you don't have "much time for the US." I think it's a wonderful country (and I spent 3 months there as ayoung man) but obviously I don't have much time for the present incumbent of the White House.

Modern day Spain certainly has its problems,though I'm not aware that "institutional racism" is one of them.Your comment about its "acceptable form of Fascism" would probably be supported by Pablo Iglesias.Funnily enough,I normally vote for the party he leads,Podemos,at local and European elections here.
    My last visit to the USA was to NY in 2,000. I spent time with the NYFD in Central park whilst other London Firefighters climbed the World Trade Centre stairs for charity......That's why I won't be visiting the USA anytime soon.

I'm certainly not against education, my sister has been an on/off teacher in her time. I would just like to see the forgotten half of society, you know the ones who don't go to Uni, have money invested in their future. Such as apprenticeships and some really quality training and not just glorified youth clubs disguised as Tech colleges......After all you seem to have forgotten that these are the very people that the Labour party are supposed to represent.

Quote Originally Posted by londonblue View Post
    It is good to hear that a lot of Labour MPs have distanced themselves from his naive comments. Hopefully they'll be able to save the party's reputation.
    On the contrary, Jeremy Corbyn made a measured and balanced reply to Mrs May's statement.Too many of Labour's MP's are Blarites, who hopefully won't be in the PLP much longer.

My last visit to the USA was to NY in 2,000. I spent time with the NYFD in Central park whilst other London Firefighters climbed the World Trade Centre stairs for charity......That's why I won't be visiting the USA anytime soon.

I'm certainly not against education, my sister has been an on/off teacher in her time. I would just like to see the forgotten half of society, you know the ones who don't go to Uni, have money invested in their future. Such as apprenticeships and some really quality training and not just glorified youth clubs disguised as Tech colleges......After all you seem to have forgotten that these are the very people that the Labour party are supposed to represent.
    When I went to the US the WTC hadn't been finished.Plus ça change and all that.

FWIW,I agree with your comments about apprenticeships.As I've said before, the quality of technical education in the UK lags far behind that of other European countries like Germany,Sweden and France (even Spain for that matter,where it has a similar low prestige).

On the contrary, Jeremy Corbyn made a measured and balanced reply to Mrs May's statement.Too many of Labour's MP's are Blarites, who hopefully won't be in the PLP much longer.

When I went to the US the WTC hadn't been finished.Plus ça change and all that.

FWIW,I agree with your comments about apprenticeships.As I've said before, the quality of technical education in the UK lags far behind that of other European countries like Germany,Sweden and France (even Spain for that matter,where it has a similar low prestige).
    Only in the minds of those in power.

I meet plenty of young people who would welcome the chance but as Britain moves further down the Educational Apartheid system we now deploy, the less opportunity they have.

Whilst other forms of discrimination have ben made illegal, education has become the great divider in the modern world. Even within the police and Fire service people are fast tracked depending on a degree education or not.