• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour will not win a GE with such a left leaning party. The bottom line is that they simply won't win the floating voters and May will win at a canter (more like sitting trot). Remind me the last time Labour won an election with a far left party?

At the end of the day, the idea of having to give more to others who show up on "Benefits Street" saying things like "I'm on benefits and can't be arsed to get a job" or smoking 100 fags a day would rock the middle classes to their core if it means missing out on their yearly family holiday to Rhodes.

Course you bleeding hearts will all argue with me, but I'm just telling it like it is. JC remaining in charge has effectively ended any competition in the next GE....tbh I didn't see Smith as much of a worthy opponent either!

Labour will not win a GE with such a left leaning party. The bottom line is that they simply won't win the floating voters and May will win at a canter (more like sitting trot). Remind me the last time Labour won an election with a far left party?

At the end of the day, the idea of having to give more to others who show up on "Benefits Street" saying things like "I'm on benefits and can't be arsed to get a job" or smoking 100 fags a day would rock the middle classes to their core if it means missing out on their yearly family holiday to Rhodes.

Course you bleeding hearts will all argue with me, but I'm just telling it like it is. JC remaining in charge has effectively ended any competition in the next GE....tbh I didn't see Smith as much of a worthy opponent either!

Blunt, but to the point, and likely correct.

The 1945 GE produced a pretty impressive landslide win for Labour and some landmark legislation.

Let's be honest the LP are out of the running for at least 10 year's...Voters have witnessed the back stabbing with a mixture of laughing or taking the wee out of the party,they have watched MP's crying,whining,moaning and in general acting like spoilt children..voters will think twice about electing this crowd again.

Corbyn has strange ideas in general,PM's questions he never asks about the big topics,it's always "I had a letter from Tom"..the cynical public think it's a dopey set up,add the train con equals one dodgy mix for Jezza.

I never said it was due to yesterday's result. Personally I'm glad Corbyn won, I like the guy, but, regrettably, he's never going to win a GE. Labour have been drifting ever further from what most of the electorate consider to be electable ever since Blair stepped down and the past 12 months have been catastrophic for them. I find it sad times indeed when someone like May can simply stroll to victory over someone like Corbyn; I really wish somebody within Labour had the answer to that problem, an answer that didn't involve moving back towards Blair's neo-liberal politics, but I just don't believe that they do.
It's the timing of the posts - on the day that Corbyn was reaffirmed as leader.
Of the two outcomes of that - Corbyn as leader backed up by hundreds of thousands of newly engaged members of the public, or Smith backed up by the same MPs that have failed to beat the Tories in two elections so no real likelyhood of any change of policy or added appeal - I fail to see why the Tories would be more pleased with a Corbyn victory.

With Smith they know they just need to carry on as they are as he offers nothing new. Corbyn is a bit more unpredictable and his appeal is not trying to beat the Tories at their own game. He has a lack of spin, he just says what he thinks - the notion of May strolling over Corbyn is nonsense - in the PMQs where he focussed on her grammar school proposals he approached her with facts, quotes from Ofsted, quotes from teachers, quotes from her own party, and common sense - she countered with attempts at taking the **** - and politicians trying to make jokes never ends in dignity.

Cameron, Soubry, Morgan are 3 Tories I have heard state they want Corbyn out so there is an effective opposition (the first two in an uber snidey manner) - lies, mind games, they want him out because they want to face a mildly left version of themselves because they know how to keep that in check. Corbyn is an unknown quantity and he isn't in their game, refuses to share platforms with them - they don't know how to handle him and don't know what to expect from him.

Tories can win fighting over middle England but Labour can fight them on a different level if they pull together and play to their strengths.

But 1.1 million people are using food banks, around a million people are on zero hours contracts, 53,000 junior doctors, 400,000 teachers, 530,000 new university students per year, all those who had disability benefits cut, Christ knows how many people who are priced out of the housing market, both sides of the EU referendum debate when they see how the government puts that into practice - these are all the types of people the Tories have offended or are likely to offend before 2020 and these are all target Labour voters - and with a membership of over half a million Labour has the opportunity to have face to face contact with all of these people and get them on side.

These are some of the reasons why 2020 is not a foregone conclusion.

Is anyone on here a Labour Party member in the Southend area?
Is the Labour Club (Clifftown Road?) welcoming and does it have a bar with proper beer?

Thanks for adding substance to my point.

Some people, (including myself), would also argue that the Wilson governments of the 60's produced some pretty impressive social legislation (largely in the form of Private Member's Bills) too.

Not only that, Wilson refused to send any British troops to Vietnam and founded the OU.Solid left-wing stuff.

Last edited:
Saddle our kids with £100 billion extra debt. What a blinding idea.

Actually, it makes perfect economic sense in Keynesian terms.

Hmmm so minimum wage will receive an extra £112 pw...company with 50 workers will need to find an extra £300,000 to service this wage.

Cant see it happening myself.

You'll remember that it was Tony Blair's much maligned 1997 government that introduced the minimum wage in the first place, (to strong Tory opposition).All that JM is advocating, is increasing it, so that the UK eventually becomes a high-wage economy.Thus generating more employment and a greater tax take.

The Tories are planning to raise it to £9 p/h in 2020 anyway. Didn't hear you lot moaning then.

Pay people more, maybe they'll spend more eh? I doubt they'll stick it in an off-shore tax haven.

The Tories are planning to raise it to £9 p/h in 2020 anyway. Didn't hear you lot moaning then.

Pay people more, maybe they'll spend more eh? I doubt they'll stick it in an off-shore tax haven.

At present the minimum wage is part of the lure for non skilled eastern EU migrants & likely a big factor in TM insisting that border controls are vital. My belief is that raising the minimum wage, tax threshold and reducing low pay state subsidy benefit are essential for many social mobility and aspiration reasons.

With a extra £100 billion debt I doubt anyone will have a ****ing off shore tax haven, certainly not yours or mine kids.

So if my reading of Keynesion Economics is correct, Labour want to return us to the 1970's.

**Puts candles on shopping list and prepares for a three day week**

It was great for nicking records!

Kelley's down the High Street was the place ... it was dark downstairs there anyway so with the power cuts, it was a gold mine for one of my light-fingered record-collecting acquaintances. :omg:

So if my reading of Keynesion Economics is correct, Labour want to return us to the 1970's.

**Puts candles on shopping list and prepares for a three day week**

No,that was Heath's Tory government you're talking about for the "three day week" in the "Who Governs?" election of Feb.1974, which was won by a minority Labour government under Wilson.

I remember it well, because I stayed at Labour MP's Bruce George's ( retired in 2010) house that night in Walsall South, after the count and getting out the vote for him all day (along with quite a few other Brum Poly.students,where he was a Senior Lecturer), thus helping him win the seat narrowly for the first time for Labour.

Bruce had done his Boundaries Commision (of the time) homework and realised the seat was winnable for Labour.

There's a lesson there to be learned by some Labour candidates for the 2020 election.:smile:

With a extra £100 billion debt I doubt anyone will have a ****ing off shore tax haven, certainly not yours or mine kids.

"I’ll give you this assurance that when we go back into government, we’ll make sure HMRC has the staffing, the resources, and the legal powers to close down the tax avoidance industry that has grown up in this country".

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...b0f55a9f4035dd#block-57e9133ee4b0f55a9f4035dd

I'm sure quite a few of my accountant chums must have shuddered when they heard this bit of John Mcdonnell's conference speech.

"I’ll give you this assurance that when we go back into government, we’ll make sure HMRC has the staffing, the resources, and the legal powers to close down the tax avoidance industry that has grown up in this country".

I'm sure quite a few of my accountant chums must have shuddered when they heard this bit of John MCDonnel's conference speech.

Why? They'll all have been long retired before Labour get back into power.

Back