• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

She's fit.

rocket.png

There are also other London Championship clubs you know, like QPR for starters!
Not yet they're not.

It's not cut and dried that the football league will let them back in without resolving the small issue of the £60m fine they owe.

Not yet they're not.

It's not cut and dried that the football league will let them back in without resolving the small issue of the £60m fine they owe.

Good point. Let's hope they end up in the Conference!

Fair enough, I just enjoy a bit of a build up to a game. And like I said in my original post I'm just shocked that as they sponsor the football league they don't put more effort in. It would be interesting to see how much pre match coverage the other leagues got?

Why would they care about pre match coverage? The only people watching are us, Stevenage fans and people who couldn't be bothered to switch off after the Chelsea game. The first two groups are going to watch no matter what and the third group isn't going to care about build up because they have no idea who we are, they just want a match to have in the background. We average about 200,000 viewers when we're on TV (probably slightly higher his time due to it being the playoffs, plus us being straight after Chelsea), not that big a number. It isn't worth Sky's money to do pre and post match stuff, who's going to advertise in those slots?

Interestingly the Cambridge manager Mooney was sitting in our end right in front of me. Next to him apparently were two scouts, but I don't know where from. They didn't leave with Mooney so I assume they were not from Cambridge

Interestingly the Cambridge manager Mooney was sitting in our end right in front of me. Next to him apparently were two scouts, but I don't know where from. They didn't leave with Mooney so I assume they were not from Cambridge
His name is Richard Money .

You sure it wasn't Angry Anderson?

With regard to the shortage of pre-match build-up, Sky do usually allow 15 minutes of this for play-off games, but we got short shrift (just as the Plymouth v Wycombe game did the day before) because we are League Two squeezed in straight after their live Premier League coverage. Rest assured that for both games on Thursday - us on Sky Sports 5 and the other game on Sky Sports 2 - coverage is due to start at 7.30pm with kick-offs at 7.45pm.

As for the interview at the end, that is standard practice for all of Sky's Football League coverage. After each live match they broadcast, they like to interview the man of the match with a team mate from the winning team, who at the end will hand over the MOTM award. Whenever the match is drawn, however, they will always have a player from the opposing team to present the Man of the Match award, in an attempt at fairness to both teams. That is the only player interview they have, so had it been the Stevenage captain up there with Parrett instead of John White, there would doubtless have been people on here complaining (possibly quite rightly) that only Stevenage players got interviewed when the game ended all square. Note that the two managers were given equal airtime both before and after the match.

I can assure you that there will be no such shared interview after Thursday's match, as it cannot end up as a draw, and so the Man of the Match interview will feature two players from the winning team.

Why on earth did a Stevenage player get the MOM award that is the real issue here. Oh and we were sitting next to Terry Alderton

Couldn't care less about the build up/post-match analysis, but what did grind was the requirement for a Southend player to present the Stevenage goalscorer with a bottle of bubbly. Ridiculous scenario given the magnitude of the game, and the fact we are only at half time...

I had no problem with the presenter, but I had a problem with this.

Present the champagne to the player yourself and interview both players, one after the other. NOT TOGETHER.

With regard to the shortage of pre-match build-up, Sky do usually allow 15 minutes of this for play-off games, but we got short shrift (just as the Plymouth v Wycombe game did the day before) because we are League Two squeezed in straight after their live Premier League coverage. Rest assured that for both games on Thursday - us on Sky Sports 5 and the other game on Sky Sports 2 - coverage is due to start at 7.30pm with kick-offs at 7.45pm.

As for the interview at the end, that is standard practice for all of Sky's Football League coverage. After each live match they broadcast, they like to interview the man of the match with a team mate from the winning team, who at the end will hand over the MOTM award. Whenever the match is drawn, however, they will always have a player from the opposing team to present the Man of the Match award, in an attempt at fairness to both teams. That is the only player interview they have, so had it been the Stevenage captain up there with Parrett instead of John White, there would doubtless have been people on here complaining (possibly quite rightly) that only Stevenage players got interviewed when the game ended all square. Note that the two managers were given equal airtime both before and after the match.

I can assure you that there will be no such shared interview after Thursday's match, as it cannot end up as a draw, and so the Man of the Match interview will feature two players from the winning team.

What if the Man of the Match is on the losing side? Are you saying they fix the award so that only the players on the winning side have a chance?

What if the Man of the Match is on the losing side? Are you saying they fix the award so that only the players on the winning side have a chance?

I'm not saying it's a fix, more a very pedestrian and sometimes rather meaningless exercise. When a co-commentator is put on the spot to select a Man of the Match, they always choose someone from the winning team (if there is one) and more often than not it is someone who has scored a goal. It makes me laugh when they go on about the player's great contribution to the whole game, when probably all they can remember is the goal that they scored.

I can't really say whether Dean Parrett made the best overall contribution to the match on Sunday, as I was focussing my attention more on our players, but I'd be willing to bet that the quality of his goal was all that Gary Birtles probably based his judgement on when making his decision. I'm pretty sure if you watch any game on TV, more often than not the scorer of the best quality goal will be deemed to be Man of the Match.

^
Exactly this.

They gave Mario Gotze the MOM in the World Cup Final and he didn't come on until the 88th minute!

I'm not saying it's a fix, more a very pedestrian and sometimes rather meaningless exercise. When a co-commentator is put on the spot to select a Man of the Match, they always choose someone from the winning team (if there is one) and more often than not it is someone who has scored a goal. It makes me laugh when they go on about the player's great contribution to the whole game, when probably all they can remember is the goal that they scored.

I can't really say whether Dean Parrett made the best overall contribution to the match on Sunday, as I was focussing my attention more on our players, but I'd be willing to bet that the quality of his goal was all that Gary Birtles probably based his judgement on when making his decision. I'm pretty sure if you watch any game on TV, more often than not the scorer of the best quality goal will be deemed to be Man of the Match.

But you're saying that the MoM interview will involve two players from the winning team. The means that a player from the losing team can't be chosen.

It is possible that we win 4-3 Thursday night and one of their players scores a hat trick. That would mean your theory can't stand.

But you're saying that the MoM interview will involve two players from the winning team. The means that a player from the losing team can't be chosen.

It is possible that we win 4-3 Thursday night and one of their players scores a hat trick. That would mean your theory can't stand.

You make it sound like the Man of the Match award means something or is based on some scientific methodology.

You make it sound like the Man of the Match award means something or is based on some scientific methodology.

No really. Just trying to show you can't use that as justification for Sky's awful post match interview.

I think it is a perfectly fine justification. The fact that so few people on here, even as fans of lower league football, realised that this is what Sky's model for post-match interviews has been all season in the Football League fully justifies their decision to devote such little time to pre and post match interviews and analysis. No one cares.

I think it is a perfectly fine justification. The fact that so few people on here, even as fans of lower league football, realised that this is what Sky's model for post-match interviews has been all season in the Football League fully justifies their decision to devote such little time to pre and post match interviews and analysis. No one cares.

throughout the season I can understand it but this is the playoffs, it does generate more interest then normal league games. ALot of people I know watch all the playoff games but wouldn't settle down to watch any old league two fixture.

Back