• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But you're saying that the MoM interview will involve two players from the winning team. The means that a player from the losing team can't be chosen.

It is possible that we win 4-3 Thursday night and one of their players scores a hat trick. That would mean your theory can't stand.

Not at all. Beefy is absolutely right, it seems as if you are reading far too much into the Man of the Match awards on TV. There are no rules that say they can't choose a player from the losing team, it's just that it is an extremely rare exception that this does ever happen. All TV companies do it, they will think that the player who made the biggest contribution to the match is someone on the team that won the game, as that for them is the big story that all those glory-hunting viewers will want to hear about - who has won. I have even watched games in the past where the commentators have got all in a fluster about wanting to change their minds when the result of the game has suddenly been turned on its head in the final minutes of the game.

It is a similar situation where at whichever football ground you go to, including Roots Hall, if they announce a Man of the Match chosen by their sponsor, it will always be someone from the home team, even if they've just lost 6-0, because they know their audience is largely the home fans who are far more likely to come back the following week!

My theory about goalscorers winning the award was prefaced (twice) by the phrase "more often than not". It does not happen that way all the time, so if the scenario you describe for tomorrow night's game did happen, the co-commentator would choose a player from our team (probably someone who scored at least one of our goals), because he would have made the contribution to our team getting to Wembley and the scorer of the hat-trick for Stevenage would have done nothing to help his team progress. Similarly, were we to win 10-1 and the Stevenage goal was a goal of the season effort and all of our goals were close-range tap-ins and fumbled efforts across the line, one of our players would still get the Man of the Match award because we end up going to Wembley.

So, after all that, my point is that Sky have their routines, such as have a player from the opposition present the Man of the Match award when the game ends in a draw, in the interests of fairness, so that's what they stuck to on Sunday night. I thought the awkwardness came more from the two players, who don't usually get on to TV, finding it all a bit strange. Watch a Championship game where one of these interviews take place (admittedly after a normal League game where maybe the stakes aren't quite so high as a play-off semi-final) and the players take it all in their stride.

But then again, as I said in my earlier post, it's all quite meaningless really... :smile:

It is a similar situation where at whichever football ground you go to, including Roots Hall, if they announce a Man of the Match chosen by their sponsor, it will always be someone from the home team, even if they've just lost 6-0, because they know their audience is largely the home fans who are far more likely to come back the following week!

Apart from when Brentford FC gave Paul Smith Man of the Match for his display in goal for us against them in our 2-1 FA Cup Replay defeat.

Apart from when Brentford FC gave Paul Smith Man of the Match for his display in goal for us against them in our 2-1 FA Cup Replay defeat.

In fairness they only did that because they went on to win the match, I don't think they would of been so humble if they would of lost. Despite him deserving the Man of the Match. It's easy to do something a bit tongue in cheek when you have won the match.

In my experience sponsors are told it has to be a home player...

In my experience sponsors are told it has to be a home player...

Not always. I remember some time ago when we lost at home the sponsors gave one of the opposition players the man of the match award. I can't remember when this was, who it was, or the team we played. All I remember is that we were torn to pieces by him.

It wasn't far different to the way Sterling tore our youth team apart in the FA Youth Cup, but without the number of goals.

It's simple. We want better coverage we need promotion.

I'd rather sky's coverage was awful and we go out and get promoted than look at yet another play off failure and have them discuss it to death.

Back