• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The difference in area of the Stevenage pitch compared to Roots hall is far bigger than the difference between roots hall and Wembley. I don't recall people getting worked up in playing on my the 'tiny' Stevenage pitch like they are with the 'massive' (5% bigger) than roots hall , Wembley.does then extra 7 1/2 feet each end really make that much difference?

I
I rate Atkinson, as I think his work rate is second to none, however we looked really good and threatening once McLaughlin came on. With his introduction, we were able to really stretch the game out, his wide left and Worrell wide right and for me Wembley is a perfect pitch to stretch the game out. He will start with Atkinson I believe, however for me, the first change if we need to change it would not be Payne, just for the reason stated here.

Haha you ain't got a clue,Wembley well renowned for the energy sapping pitch,Deegan mistimes challenges but gets away with them,the open spaces at Wembley will leave him in the spotlight and it only takes 2 poor tackles.

If one of the other posters is correct, the pitch is hardly any bigger. It's the same size as wycombes! What you are saying about deegan goes for a lot of our players.

The difference in area of the Stevenage pitch compared to Roots hall is far bigger than the difference between roots hall and Wembley. I don't recall people getting worked up in playing on my the 'tiny' Stevenage pitch like they are with the 'massive' (5% bigger) than roots hall , Wembley.does then extra 7 1/2 feet each end really make that much difference?

People are going well over board with the size of Wembley.

The problem as i see it, when defenders have only one striker to mark, it tends to turn fullbacks into wingers, as two centerbacks are enough to deal with a lone striker, 442 please.

The Wembley pitch issue is not to do with the size, it's the occasion it's forms part of. If you clutter the middle of the pitch and the game will be strangled. Stretch the game out. Pin the fall backs to the touch line and keep them on their toes by putting out and out wingers up against them. Lenny can spread the play easier, as can Timlin. This for me is how we should play and would also play to our strengths , again like we did when the subs against Stevenage was made.

Has to be 4-4-2 to win the game 4-5-1 we will lose that simple ...Deegan must not play for me need players to pass to each other :smile: .payne to play a part

Has to be 4-4-2 to win the game 4-5-1 we will lose that simple ...Deegan must not play for me need players to pass to each other :smile: .payne to play a part

We've lost games playing 442. We've won games playing 451. We've won games playing Deegan and lost them with Payne.

Football. It's not that simple

Im happy to watch a dreary defensive display keeping it tight for 70mins and then take a 1-0 win towards the end... After thursday i feel a hell of alot more confident in PB's ability to get it right saturday. He got everything spot on IMO. Aslong as we lift that cup at the end, i dont care how we play.

We've lost games playing 442. We've won games playing 451. We've won games playing Deegan and lost them with Payne.

Football. It's not that simple

Agreed - and with the prospect of extra time it makes the use of subs even more complicated. So we don't want early bookings making the decisions harder.

But as someone else said, the Pig looked like he was fading in the second half against Stevenage, so maybe he'd be better to bring on from the bench, depending upon how the match is evolving ?

Agreed - and with the prospect of extra time it makes the use of subs even more complicated. So we don't want early bookings making the decisions harder.

But as someone else said, the Pig looked like he was fading in the second half against Stevenage, so maybe he'd be better to bring on from the bench, depending upon how the match is evolving ?

Also Payne can barely last 60mins.

Go back a season ( or was it two ? ) and Hurst was probably one of our most influential players.
Now , unless injuries , he probably wont even make the bench.
My 'guess' at the team is :

Bentley
White , Barrett , Bolger , Coker
Atkinson , Leonard , Timlin , Worrall
Corr , Pigott

subs : Smith , Prosser , Deegan , Payne , McLaughlin , Weston , Cassidy

I think the space outside of the white lines somehow clouds people's judgement.

It's like putting a normal sized cup of tea on a giant saucer and saying oh wow that's a massive cup of tea I'm not sure I can drink all that.

I'd personally play 7 defenders and 3 attackers. Doubt anyone's ever done that at Wemblet before :dim:

I would play a sort of 4-3-2-1
I dont personally care if its a boring game. Its all about the result and Promotion.
Mc Laughlin for me will the big pitch, as Pig has not been so effective for the last few games.
We need to keep it tight.

Bentley
White Barratt Bolger Coker
Atkinson Timlin Leonard
Mc Laughlin Worrall
Corr

Subs T. Smith Prosser Degnan. Payne Cassidy Piggott Weston.

Feel sorry for Hurst but last time we were at Wembley if i remeber a certain player
did not even make the bench who is one of our best players now.

I would play a sort of 4-3-2-1
I dont personally care if its a boring game. Its all about the result and Promotion.
Mc Laughlin for me will the big pitch, as Pig has not been so effective for the last few games.
We need to keep it tight.

Bentley
White Barratt Bolger Coker
Atkinson Timlin Leonard
Mc Laughlin Worrall
Corr

Subs T. Smith Prosser Degnan. Payne Cassidy Piggott Weston.

Feel sorry for Hurst but last time we were at Wembley if i remeber a certain player
did not even make the bench who is one of our best players now.
I think we lack width with this formation. I'd personally go for 4-4-2 again.

I think we lack width with this formation. I'd personally go for 4-4-2 again.

Thats the whole idea the Worrall and Mc Laughlin out wide coming from the wings and supporting Corr.
Plus supporting the midfield three most of the time

Back