• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thank god Mohsni won't be playing. One of the worst football performances i have ever seen from a player.

Bit harsh - he was played in the one position that he had no experience of and no qualification for. Brown (or his advisers) cocked up massively there.

Time to redeem yourself, Phil.

32,000 people watching one of the worst Southend teams/performance in a long while.... Maybe that's what's making it all even more nerve-racking

Crewe were a division above us and we still created chances to score....mkandiwire header in first half and mohsni header cleared off line as well as britts disallowed goal....We did not play well but I have seen far worse during the last 32 years.....let it go and let's look at the upcoming match.

Cos nobody had posted since 10:39 am until you just now. That's how message boards work mate. :smile: Flags, tickets numbers, seats and seas of yellow etc far more interesting apparently.

How did this thread drop off the front page.:stunned:

It's close season.....new kits, unsubstantiated transfer rumours, changes to the menu in the tea bar......but we don't play matches at this time of year do we?

We should be going into the game confident, but the same can be said about Wycombe. Team should pick itself with the exception of who should partner Barry upfront in a 442 formation. Would go with the Pig to start. He's a good finisher, but gets caught flat footed once in a while. The key to us being the better team are our subs who can change things up quickly. It's the occasion that will decide it, who will rise to it and who will be affected by it. Sad not to be able to make the trip back, but will watch it on Sky and cheer the lads on to victory.

Curiously, in all the time I've followed Southend (mostly from afar) I don't think I've been to a crucial game.......certainly not one as important as Saturday. My most consistent attendence was between 1956 and 1970 and it's during that time I saw my majority of league games.......sadly for me, it was a time of little success for the club. Most of my good memories concern Cup games against Man City, Birmingham City, Liverpool. At the start of the seventies I moved from Southend and my attachment to the club weakened, although I returned to see Cup games against QPR and Derby County + Liverpool in '79. I don't know what happened in our successful 71/72 & 77/78 seasons but I certainly wasn't there to toast our promotions........perhaps it was all a little more low key in those years?
During the eighties my occasional returns to see the family in Southend nearly always coincided with a game.......usually Friday night. Ironically, of course, my departure to France in 1989 coincided with what was going to be a period of Southend's greatest success. Since then it's been the odd game at the start of the season and more recently, as finances (and Ryanair) have allowed, a family visit that happens at the same time of a couple of games, home and away.
Yes, I was there for the JPT Final in 2013 but can that be really counted as a crucial game?..............more a crucial occasion. So Saturday, not to overplay its importance, is probably the most important game I've ever seen in nearly sixty years of following the club! I don't mind the selection and the formation, just as long as they turn up and give it their all. Something to cheer about would also be welcome, there was precious little of that at Wembley last time.

I don't mind the selection and the formation, just as long as they turn up and give it their all. Something to cheer about would also be welcome, there was precious little of that at Wembley last time.[/QUOTE]

Hear blo*dy hear !

Other than the Lincoln play off game we're usually up against teams from a higher division in these big stadium games, but this time its two evenly matched sides and it could go either way. Key for me is to stop them scoring early on. They score a lot of early goals and we have history in 'finals' of conceding early, so we've got to keep it very tight early on, don't give Hayes a kick, and let their initial attacking threat wear itself out. I expect us to come into it more as the game goes on, and expect us to be on the front foot second half. Just hope we havent conceded beforehand because lets face it, we don't score too many in the average 90 minutes. The longer it goes without us going behind, the more likely we'll become to get a winner. That said, they have also developed a nasty habit of scoring very late, which I would hope the players are aware of.

So in summary, my prediction is they do manage to get the usual early goal before we wake up, we equalise midway through second half, game ends 1-1 after they hit the bar in injury time. Our all round quality & fitness starts to tell in extra time & we score just after the turnaround, then go into defensive mode & hang on for dear life and get over the line 2-1 winners. You heard it here..

Other than the Lincoln play off game we're usually up against teams from a higher division in these big stadium games, but this time its two evenly matched sides and it could go either way. Key for me is to stop them scoring early on. They score a lot of early goals and we have history in 'finals' of conceding early, so we've got to keep it very tight early on, don't give Hayes a kick, and let their initial attacking threat wear itself out. I expect us to come into it more as the game goes on, and expect us to be on the front foot second half. Just hope we havent conceded beforehand because lets face it, we don't score too many in the average 90 minutes. The longer it goes without us going behind, the more likely we'll become to get a winner. That said, they have also developed a nasty habit of scoring very late, which I would hope the players are aware of.

So in summary, my prediction is they do manage to get the usual early goal before we wake up, we equalise midway through second half, game ends 1-1 after they hit the bar in injury time. Our all round quality & fitness starts to tell in extra time & we score just after the turnaround, then go into defensive mode & hang on for dear life and get over the line 2-1 winners. You heard it here..

I would suggest the very opposite.

I just realised if I walk to Wembley I get to leave earlier!!!

9.4 miles from Finsbury Park - 3 hours 16 minutes.

The key to this one is to buck the trend of the season and take our chances as they come. We cannot afford to be wasteful. Should have beaten them at RH but we were wasteful in front of goal.

Last edited:
Back