• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No more rubbish than a lot of comments on this thread. Brown is woefully underappreciated. I didn't favour his appointment (more as I saw it as a lose / lose ie he'd be crap or he'd be good and bugger off) but we have a manager who has brought solidity, got us trying to play from the back, got the team fighting for each other, is adaptable in his formations, got the players unbelievably fit so they can fight to end..... To say any bloke in charge playing 442 every game would make us better is incredibly naive.

Maybe not 442 for every game. Obviously there are away games you change formation to suit, but too many times we have played 451, leaving Corr exposed when we should be playing 442. As someone has already said, we have been promoted despite Brown. Ia m happy for him to stay as long as he learns from his shortfallings this season and builds on them next season

Brilliant day, I think I spent as much time watching the magnificent crowd bellow in the whole bottom tier as I did the football on the pitch. The 3,000 yellow scarfs were a master stroke especially during a spell in the second half when the lads needed a lift and the whole section behind the goal were going mental twirling the things above their heads and partying as only Southend know how. So much better than the paint pot final which I'm soo glad we learned from regarding the allocation of the singing section that brought the sides and indeed the above together in unison and a wall of noise. But if I had to give a man of the match its to the guy or guys who provided the scarfs which im sure helped to unified the bottom tier and push us over the line. .... far better than those blue cards Wycombe held up at the start for two minutes.

Corr - disaalowed goal, look how we loses his marker, stonewall penalty, sets up the winner and a FOUR ? Seriously i know this game is about opinions but that is absurd

It is a strange one but I can see why some would give a 4, and some would give a 7 or even an 8...He spent half of the game on the floor and was bullied, but just get back up, it annoyed a lot of fans around me including myself. Maybe that is why he didn't get the penalty? Great header and assist as mentioned, but a very opinion splitting performance.

people have pre conceived ideas about players. the fact that the neutrals at sky gave barry corr man of the match and then i come on here to find people marking him as 4/10 says it all. its almost a shame to have players markings for yesterday. just enjoy it and stop arguing, even if its just for a few days.

Yesterday was so close to being desperately disappointing, the players didn't play anywhere near to their potential, but as often showed throughout the season...If they can't get the wins through outplaying an opponent they will do it through desire and passion and the team spirit they have.

Bentley - 8 - Good saves during the game, unlucky to have the OG next to his name. The penalty saves were top drawer. Hero! His distribution was also spot on.

White - 7 - Defended well and got forward a couple of times to put good balls in.
Barrett - 8 - Solid defending and kept pushing his team mates.
Bolger - 8 - Same as Barrett, couple of dodgy hoofs and passes but nothing that put us in danger.
Coker - 8 - We needed to use him more in the first half. Got forward well after that and he gets an extra mark for the game changing tackle that probably would have seen Wycombe get their second. Penalty needed to be higher if going down the middle!

Worrall - 6.5 - Played okay but struggled to influence the game as much as he can.
Atkinson - 7 - I thought in the first half most of our good attacking play came through him. Unlucky to be subbed.
Leonard - 6.5 - He did his job but I personally think he wasn't at his best which was a shame.
Timlin - 7 - Solid Timlin performance, similar to Leonards performance but Timlin edged it with his determination and influence.
Mcglaughlin - 6.5 - Same as Worrall, showed glimpses but the wingers didn't get enough space to play.

Corr - 6 - Going to sit in the middle of all the 4's and 8's. Constantly being on the floor annoyed me but done a difficult job and did influence the game with the assist and goal that wasn't.

Pigott - 7.5 - Done very well when coming on, great touch and finish and could have had another.
Weston - 7.5 - Again he tired them out with his running, good crossing as well.
Payne - 6 - Kept the ball okay, great penalty but didn't have too much time to influence the game. Wycombe looked to push him about at every opportunity.

Fans 10/10 - Awesome atmosphere for an often quiet Wembley!

Awful first half, second half improved, though we only played for about twenty minutes, once Wycombe scored they were excellent and couldn't see us equalising. Must mention the Coker tackle 2 mins before Piggott's goal, he ran 50 yards to save us.
Pens were uniformly excellent other than Coker's, who knew Bolger would score??!! But where was BBBC or big bottler Barry Corr as he may now be known as...

Bentley 8, 2 great saves, unlucky for the OG, just could have commanded his area a bit more for me. Great decisive penalty save MOM
White 7, offered nothing going forward but solid
Bolger 7, passing woeful again but did well defensively
Barrett 8, solid and got stronger as ET went on
Coker 7 again little attacking threat from him today, but that covering tackle...
Leonard 6 passing not there today and no trademark burtsing runs
Timlin 6, looked off the pace all game
Worral 7 worked hard without any real end product
McGlaughlin 7 surprised he was subbed as thought he had some promise
Atkinson 7 worked hard as per normal
Corr 4 won nothing in the air kept falling over, no pace and no penalty either - not sure how he stayed on

Weston 6 showed he had the beating of the full back but didn't do it often enough!
Piggott 7 great goal, worked hard
Payne 5 did nothing when he came on

Crowd 10, great singing throughout from everywhere not just TBV, the scarves were a great idea.

Copied from last night's post!

4! 4! really ? 4! Good job you are not the manager. Pretty sure that a manager would not keep someone on the pitch who's performance was worth a 4 when we had ready made subs on the bench. Just out of interest if the ref had awarded our goal (not Barry's fault that the ref didn't give it ), and if the ref had given us a penalty- and it was a foul on corr,, and if you accept that he gave the assist for Piggots goal would he have still been a 4. A player scores one, gains a pen and gets an assist and its still a 4!

Thank you, I knew what I was letting myself in for when my son persuaded me to get tickets in the 'singing section'. At my age I'm paying for all that enthusiasm today though!!

I have to say i was disappointed in those around us firstly the row wasn't full and secondly apart from a group of young lads a lot of others weren't signing or even clapping. What was there not to understand in being in the 'singing section'?

Full credit to the club though for the scarves, had to laugh at all those coming from other blocks to 'steal' those not yet claimed by their occupant!!

Maybe not 442 for every game. Obviously there are away games you change formation to suit, but too many times we have played 451, leaving Corr exposed when we should be playing 442. As someone has already said, we have been promoted despite Brown. Ia m happy for him to stay as long as he learns from his shortfallings this season and builds on them next season

I just don't understand this. Why promoted despite brown. He got us a winning mentality during the run in, helped our younger players develop, let us build an outstanding defensive record. Maybe other managers would also have got us promoted but I can't see how you can separate browns work from the players. He has made mistakes, been adaptable and got us up, much the same as the players

What an emotional roller coaster! We didn't play particularly well, but having said that neither did Wycombe. I thought a draw after 90 minutes was about right, though we could have pinched a 1-0 if that penalty had been given, how did both the ref and linesman who had a great view, miss that!

Extra time they got the goal with a great free kick, albeit with a slice of luck after the ball bounced in off Bentley. Still 20+ minutes to go, I thought we'd come out all guns blazing, however we became really ragged and careless with the ball, I thought the Payne sub unbalanced the team, I was struggling to work out what formation we we're supposed to be playing. With 5 to go I said to my mate that I didn't think we'd score even if we stayed out for another hour, what do I know! A great run and cross from Weston and a cool finish from Pigott :pig: and we'd somehow got to pens.

The shoutout was pure agony, followed by a release of emotion when Bentley saved the final pen. All the takers showed balls of steel and all 7 scorers took great pens.

I won't bother with ratings other than to say that the best players were defenders, Barrett and White we're excellent throughout. The midfield in particular disappointed, Leonard, Timlin and Worrall all had off days. McLaughlin seemed the main attacking threat early on so I was surprised he was subbed though we did need to get the extra striker on.

Overall what a day, you can't beat going up through the play offs and the celebrations at the end we're amazing.

Up the Blues, league 1 and especially Col U here we come! :loyalsupporter:

the thing with Corr is that he plays for the team. He won so many headers in our own box he deserves a great deal of credit for those alone. He was a key part of our game as he always is. He puts a great shift in and did so again yesterday in playing for the team

How some of you misery guts can complain on a day like today is beyond me.
Corr put a shift in for the team. The whole game was tense due to what was at stake which is the usual way with finals. To say we got promoted despite Brown is ridiculous, are you the same people who were saying he'd lost the dressing room earlier in the season? How did that dressing room end the season by the way?

Incredible.

people had taken the yellow scarfs by the time we got there. They helped the atmosphere though.

pigott I love you

How can anyone say that we promoted despite our manager? We have one of the fittest teams in the league (as shown against Stevenage) that never give up until the final whistle, a mentality clearly instilled in to the team by our manager. He has coached one of the most successful defences in the football league (least goals conceded at home in England) and made several astute signings. Not to mention getting Payne on a professional contract and integrating him in to the first team, and developing Leonard into a much better player than the one he was before Brown came in.

But sure, let's ignore all that and moan about him playing 451 a bit too often. He played a huge part in getting us promoted but that doesn't mean he's infallible. I mean, just look at the substitutions in our last 2 games: Mclaughlin and Weston tore Stevenage to pieces and won us the semis. Weston puts in the cross in the 120th minute and Pigott converts to take us to penalties.

Incredible.

people had taken the yellow scarfs by the time we got there. They helped the atmosphere though.

pigott I love you

The scalves looked great from where I was further up, brilliant seeing everyone jumping up and down swinging the scalves at one point!

thought we had a few more than 20 thousand there - if the crowd was 38 thousand then there was never 18 thousand Wycombe.

Yep probably 21,000 Southend, 16,000 Wycombe & 1,200 in the neutral Wembley areas. I doubt we will get an official support figure apart from the total crowd 38,252.

I watched the game in a sports bar in bournemouth as I was on my stag night, what an amazing final, we had our own vip area and just went ballistic each time something happened. The bournemouth punters were amused lol. Awesome day. UTB!

Some people just can't help being miserly! I don't think any player of ours deserved less than a 7 so to see some 4s flying about seems totally ridiculous in a team that's just won promotion to the next level. And "in spite of Brown"? Really?? :facepalm:People seriously under-estimate the team mentality that he's inspired in them if they honestly believe that!

Yes, I was unhappy with the team selection. I thought we should have started as we did against Stevenage at home, it worked so well having two tall forwards for the long ball to be aimed at, and having the ever industrious Atkinson running the opposition ragged before bringing on the much more cultured McLaughlin to deliver the killer crosses. I also didn't really want Weston to come on but there you go, the guy delivers the perfect cross for Corr to knock down for Piggy to score and save our bacon with just 20 seconds left.

Bentley - 9, MOTM, absolute world class save and desperately unlucky to have an oggy against his name. And then the penalty saves, he also narrowly missed an earlier one which he got a hand on. Daniel, son, your value has increased by a performance of quality on one of the biggest world stages.
White - 8, what a terrific game by JW, led from the front and looked dangerous on the break. Carting the trophy round like it's a new infant atm!
Bolger - 8.5, remember Luton away and the comments back then? This lad has developed and grown in stature metaphorically so much since then, yes, a lot of that is going to be down to Barrett, but he really HAS done it and I am delighted for him. And who knew he could take such a cracking penalty? Are we going back to the days of centre backs being our penalty takers?! Much less of a push on their player for the disallowed goal than was made on Corr for our penalty appeal!
Barrett - 8, the old war horse had a stormer. Total club legend, no other words needed, except another year please?
Coker - 7.5, that tackle was just sublime, perfectly timed. Gave it a good go on the hoof but did have difficulties when the WW right back was pushing forward.
Worrall - 7, didn't feel he should have been taken off myself, but Brown clearly knew what he was doing and why. Let's hope he'll stay with us as he's proved what a danger man he can be.
Timlin - 7.5, Iron Mike played as he always done, at 100 mph and whole heartedly.
Leonard - 7, thought he had a good, solid game. Targeted by them. Happy Birthday Lenny, hope you're having the best kind of celebrations!
Atkinson - 7, run around a lot and worked WW's defence, but not much end product and I personally feel that having 3 CMs on disrupts the natural balance of the other two.
McLaughlin - 7.5, worked hard and worked the line quite well, best deliverer of a corner ball currently at the club.
Corr - 7, felt for him as the ref was very unsympathetic, and yet, there he was when it mattered with the knock down for Piggy.

Subs (I may have got them a bit wrong as I can't quite remember who was subbed for who!):
Pigott for Worrall - 8, really like this boy, works hard and makes things happen. He certainly did yesterday anyway!
Weston for McLaughlin - 7.5, frustrating as hell, needs some belief because when he does things right, he really does things right! Don't be so afraid at seeing opposition players in front of you!
Payne for Atkinson - 7, well done Jacko, great effort!

What a truly amazing day out!

I haven't read through the whole thread,but just wanted to say if it hasn't already been mentioned how good the Yellow Scarves looked, we were sat block 233 and it looked class, much better than blue cards!

Back