• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was it Corr who injured Sam Saunders? Couldn't really see what happened but Saunders is a ****. Justice for his Daggers time wasting days.

Corr gets another point for that

I don't do ratings so here are some ratings from the Sun newspaper
Bentley 7
White 6
Coker 6
Worrall 6
Corr 6
Atkinson 6
Bolger 6
Leonard 5
McLaughlin 5
Barrett 6

Wycombe players got similar scores although Jacobson got an 8 for 'Beautifully curled his free-kick which deflected in off Bentley'. Now his Free-kick was actually a shot off target and he also had his penalty saved, not sure I would have made him star player.

Typical of The Sun - they've hacked off Timlin by leaving him out!

I don't do ratings so here are some ratings from the Sun newspaper
Bentley 7
White 6
Coker 6
Worrall 6
Corr 6
Atkinson 6
Bolger 6
Leonard 5
McLaughlin 5
Barrett 6

Wycombe players got similar scores although Jacobson got an 8 for 'Beautifully curled his free-kick which deflected in off Bentley'. Now his Free-kick was actually a shot off target and he also had his penalty saved, not sure I would have made him star player.

Jacobsen scored his penalty. It was the one Bentley dived for round about the same time Jacobsen started his run up :smile:

For what it's worth I thought their no 25 was by far the best player on the pitch (certainly from an attacking perspective)

Was it Corr who injured Sam Saunders? Couldn't really see what happened but Saunders is a ****. Justice for his Daggers time wasting days.

Corr gets another point for that

twas Atkinson I think....which reminds me of something else. He went down 8 seconds into the match (I looked up at the clock). Wycombe took the free kick around 3.40...so why only 3 minutes first half stoppage time?

i don't get criticising people for not taking penalties who we've decided should take them. we scored all but one and got promoted. as far as i'm concerned it worked, they were all good penalties (even Coker's was alright) so i'd say they did well and got it right

i don't get criticising people for not taking penalties who we've decided should take them. we scored all but one and got promoted. as far as i'm concerned it worked, they were all good penalties (even Coker's was alright) so i'd say they did well and got it right

Spot on - some of the comments on here are absolutely bonkers.

Can you imagine the torrents of abuse if Corr had taken the fifth penalty and missed?

Spot on - some of the comments on here are absolutely bonkers.

Can you imagine the torrents of abuse if Corr had taken the fifth penalty and missed?
so you weren't in the stadium saying wtf Bolger rather than Corr?!! if the CBs miss then turn it on its head and Corr/Brown is vilified. this is football and fine margins, but our designated pen taker in regular season doesn't take one of the first five looks a bit weird..

so you weren't in the stadium saying wtf Bolger rather than Corr?!! if the CBs miss then turn it on its head and Corr/Brown is vilified. this is football and fine margins, but our designated pen taker in regular season doesn't take one of the first five looks a bit weird..

Not when he's missed the last two he's taken (which stat I seem to remember someone saying yesterday). Like I said elsewhere, it's down to who feels up for them on the day, Corr clearly didn't.

Not when he's missed the last two he's taken (which stat I seem to remember someone saying yesterday). Like I said elsewhere, it's down to who feels up for them on the day, Corr clearly didn't.
luckily it turned out OK. i agree OBL some of it is on how you feel, but it's also a bit about nerve and skill too, and surely, surely Corr should be looking at Cian stepping up and saying No, it's me?

I wasnt, I never expected Corr to take one.

Penalty taking is about confidence, he has just missed a vital one in injury time of the semi final, his head clearly wasnt in the right place.

The pressure I felt watching was intense, heaven knows how it must feel for those players who stepped up.

luckily it turned out OK. i agree OBL some of it is on how you feel, but it's also a bit about nerve and skill too, and surely, surely Corr should be looking at Cian stepping up and saying No, it's me?

That's where some credit has to go to Bolger though, and presumably to Barrett for helping him develop. I wasn't surprised Corr wasn't one of the first 5 nominated but admit I was surprised he didn't get to take one at all in the first 8. Likewise I was also quite surprised JW didn't but having seen the quality of those less expected players' efforts I can certainly have no cause to complain.

That's where some credit has to go to Bolger though, and presumably to Barrett for helping him develop. I wasn't surprised Corr wasn't one of the first 5 nominated but admit I was surprised he didn't get to take one at all in the first 8. Likewise I was also quite surprised JW didn't but having seen the quality of those less expected players' efforts I can certainly have no cause to complain.
where we were in Block 248 when Bolger stepped forward to a man (and woman) we were very afraid..but fair play to him, and indeed Barrett, they were among the best pens. If they have some secret ability then why aren't they taking pens normally??!! anyhow it turned out for the best and so we celebrate and life carries on...

No....not really. We have had 9 days to prepare for a play off final..do you really not think the squad would have been practising penalties over that time? You would assume they would have got the line up right? Just because someone is a striker it doesn't mean they have to take penalties. It's a different art. Corr has never been a reliable penalty taker, I don't have the facts but I'd say he's a 60/40 penalty taker. I think he's only been our "regular" taker due to lack of options (didn't Barnard start the season as "regular" penalty taker)....add to that as others have said, he's missed his last couple so if he's mentally questioning himself it makes perfect sense to give it to someone else with instructions to just leather it in the roof of the net without the mental baggage....if Bolger hadn't fancied it either then I'm sure Barry would have stepped up.

Sometimes it is braver to stand down

Football has very very fine margins....if Corr had been 4 inches lower with his pen against Stevenage he'd probably have taken the fifth one yesterday, tried the chip again, hit the bar this time and he would have been burnt at the stake by some on here.

I can understand people questioning decisions that prove to be wrong......but questioning decisions that proved to be match-winning is pretty baffling to me?

What an absolutely brilliant day and one I won't forget in a hurry.

A few 'random' views , not in any particular order of relevance.

1. I wasn't enamoured with us starting 4-5-1 , but as others have stated , maybe the plan of starting with this , keeping it tight and then going more attacking was the right thing to do.
If we had started 4-4-2 , we may have been 3 up at half time , but equally we could have been 3 down.

2. 4-5-1 for whatever reason makes it very tough for the striker , especially if the midfield don't support quickly.
Thats why I'm amazed that Corr ( and Brown ) get stick when we play it.
To make the system work , it depends on others and Corr does not always get the support required.
Add to that he was up against one of the best young CB's in L2 ( think Mawson may have won L2 player of the year ? ) and I thought he had a decent game yesterday.

3. Corr negative - IMO as top scorer and striker , he has to step up for a penalty ( CB's taking them in front of him is not great , despite them both hitting superb pens ).
I know he had just missed v Stevenage , but still.

4. Key moments in the match ?
The first for me it has to be Cokers tackle - awesome !
However , a close second has to be Saunders going off after a minute.
He has been the key to the way they play and think he was a huge loss for them.

5. Phil Brown ? Hasn't always got it right , but then who does.
He has by all accounts improved things off the pitch ( at the training ground etc ) and the team spirit is superb.
Yes he likes the sound of his own voice and would be off like a shot if a 'bigger' club came in , but so would most Managers and I don't see how ambition should be viewed as negative.
I think he's done really well and will hopefully improve us even more.

6. Our players ?
I have , and always will , support every player selected to play for the team.
Sure , I will moan at mistakes etc , but by and large I will try to encourage every one out there on the pitch.
I think the entire squad this season have done their best and have a superb team spirit.
However , if I'm totally honest , I think that quite a few of them may struggle in L1 and we need a fairly large overhaul if we are to do well.
i just hope that sentiment ( and budget constraints ) don't hinder Brown next season.

7. Our fans ?
We were all mostly superb in our support yesterday and the players clearly appreciate that.
I don't attend many away games , but from what I've heard that support has been brilliant all season.
I really have nothing but total respect for everyone that's travelled up and down the country all season.
As with all clubs though we do still attract our minority of idiots.
Some were 'showing off' and getting 'over excited' at The Green Man and one or two more inside the ground.
I would add , before anyone points fingers at TBV ( who have been excellent this season ) according to my son who attends all home games in TBV that he didn't recognise any of them.
Day tripper wannabe gangsta's ?
Pathetic.

8. Let me end on a positive and to echo another thread , what a superb service Wino and Co run.
I've only used TZ a few times , but always excellent and would recommend it to anyone.

Awful first half, second half improved, though we only played for about twenty minutes, once Wycombe scored they were excellent and couldn't see us equalising. Must mention the Coker tackle 2 mins before Piggott's goal, he ran 50 yards to save us.
Pens were uniformly excellent other than Coker's, who knew Bolger would score??!! But where was BBBC or big bottler Barry Corr as he may now be known as...

Bentley 8, 2 great saves, unlucky for the OG, just could have commanded his area a bit more for me. Great decisive penalty save MOM
White 7, offered nothing going forward but solid
Bolger 7, passing woeful again but did well defensively
Barrett 8, solid and got stronger as ET went on
Coker 7 again little attacking threat from him today, but that covering tackle...
Leonard 6 passing not there today and no trademark burtsing runs
Timlin 6, looked off the pace all game
Worral 7 worked hard without any real end product
McGlaughlin 7 surprised he was subbed as thought he had some promise
Atkinson 7 worked hard as per normal
Corr 4 won nothing in the air kept falling over, no pace and no penalty either - not sure how he stayed on

Weston 6 showed he had the beating of the full back but didn't do it often enough!
Piggott 7 great goal, worked hard
Payne 5 did nothing when he came on

Crowd 10, great singing throughout from everywhere not just TBV, the scarves were a great idea.

Copied from last night's post!

Genuinely feel gutted for you mate that you missed our goal. What a moment to be a Shrimper, a moment that will live long in the memories of those of us fortunate enough to be there.

ps Bit harsh to penalise Corr for the ref not awarding a penalty when he was fouled.

This was 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff.

Having dashed our hopes in front of a massive following at a grey sodden Morecambe May day, we found ourselves in the Play Offs instead of automatic promotion. We battled past Stevenage bloody and bruised and once again in front of 20k passionate supporters we dared to hope.

I said all along, promotion through play off final at Wembley is as good as it gets, but you cannot get that guarantee beforehand. To do it the hard way, goal disallowed; penalty chance denied; give away a free kick just after having our own turned down and then concede through a rebound off the keeper! Time litterally ran out quicker than fans leaving the stadium, but with 20 seconds from defeat and League two continued obscurity, we somehow have a player with ball at his feet and cool head to finish.

I detest penalty shoot-outs, but here I was delirious with joy at the thought of them. Losing the toss and penalties being taken at the Wycombe end Coker misses and I say to my son, its never easy for a team to come back from going down in the shoot out, so we are up against it again. All the other penalties (especially the CB's!) are class and Wycombe must miss one...?

I decide not to look as Wood takes his penalty and the cheer all around me tells me he has missed. No one could have written a more perfect script.

This is for Michael Timlin and his stitches - the scars of which he will have permently

With your obvious love of language and ability to write such fine prose you must be very lonely in Colchester! :winking:

The Corr doing it ?? What game did you watch? When I got home I made a point of stopping my recording & double checking the number of times BBBC was fouled without getting a free kick. So fair play to him for not retaliating & if he did go to ground a couple of times - fair enough - no way did he "do it a lot" !!! Anyway what a game, what spirit, there's only one Adam Barrett. Great to see the team dive towards the fans behind the goal. Well chanted & shouted one & all. On another point the TV commentators gave Ben Coker no credit for his last ditch tackle.
Really? I thought Wycombe played well and looked far more dangerous than us going forward. Their keeper had nothing to do it was only set pieces we looked like scoring from.
After they scored I thought they ran the game superbly and I couldn't see us scoring. Yes they fell over and feigned injury but the Corr was also doing that a lot.

Back