• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
Ok so now the season is finally over and the fairytale of yesterday is still firmly in the memory we can turn our attention to next season in a higher division.

As we know squads in the lower divisions can change quite drastically over the summer. Who would you like us to keep and believe is good enough to adapt to League One and for whom might it be a step too far?

Thoughts?

For me, I'd keep:

Bentley - Promotion should keep the wolves away until at least January as Dan can get some experience in a higher division with us as undisputed no 1.

White - Captain and already has League One experience with the Scum.

Coker - Been one of the best fullbacks in League Two this year so think he could comfortably play at the next level.

Bolger - Alongside an experienced partner in Barrett at the tail end of this season Cian's come on leaps and bounds and looks really solid now.

Worrall - Arguably our best outfield player and certainly key to our attacking play. Must keep and could have moved on if we didn't win yesterday IMO.

Lenny - Not been quite as good this season as the year before IMO but still got so much potential. You forget how young he is so isn't even at his peak yet.

Timlin - This year's playoffs have really highlighted how vital Tims is to us. In a way that sickening head clash did some good by showing to the wider football community what a warrior he is. If he could add goals to his game he'd have been in League One already.

Atkinson - Surprised Bradford saw Atko as surplus to requirements at this stage a couple of years back. I think WA is a vital player to have in your squad, bit of a lower league James Milner and great for away games.

Corr - Will be interesting to see how Barry does in League One. He's played there before with Swindon but I think he might need a lot more support scoring wise at the next level. He might get 10 so would need someone else chipping in regularly.

Payne - Real breakthrough season for Jack and has really established himself as a first team player this year. Has so much potential and whilst there's still some route one sides in League One the standard is obviously better. I'd expect him to get more time on the ball but be up against better defences for him to try and unlock. Like Corr will be interesting to see how he does.

The rest of the squad I'm unsure would be up to League One football so I think we'd need to strengthen if we want to stay up comfortably. Sadly that includes Adam Barrett as I think his lack of pace could be exposed more against better forwards. But I'd probably keep him around as a squad player. Harsh but you've gotta take sentiment out of it.

Thoughts?

I agree with everything you've said. I would give Barrett a chance though. I would also keep Weston and play him as an impact sub. If the Pig is available I would sign him, and probably Cassidy too.

Yeah of the loan players I'd try and loan Pigott and McLaughlin again.

Agree we should see how AB does and the same is probably true for Hurst and Weston too.

Keep the lot and add a couple - team spirit will still be all what it is about in League One and this lot have spirit and focus in bucket loads. The boost the players will get in all being given the chance to stay together will be worth a lot. We don't have to offer long contracts to those on the fringe but keep them anyway, they have all done great of late and even at Morecambe you could see the commitment they all had (if not the luck on that day). UTB

Keep the lot and add a couple - team spirit will still be all what it is about in League One and this lot have spirit and focus in bucket loads. The boost the players will get in all being given the chance to stay together will be worth a lot. We don't have to offer long contracts to those on the fringe but keep them anyway, they have all done great of late and even at Morecambe you could see the commitment they all had (if not the luck on that day). UTB

Totally agree keep as many as possible and build on the obvious team spirit we have at present :thumbsup:

I've seen quite a few League 1 games this season and can tell you the standard is appreciably higher.
So Brown will need to be ruthless :-
We have just 7 who can definitely cope at that level:
Bentley
Bolger
Thompson
Coker
Timlin
Leonard
Worrell
3 more would be useful squad/back-up players:
White
Deegan
Corr
2 others should be given a season to see what they can do:
Payne
Ibenfeldt
And the others(I'm not considering the loanees),and I know some of these are popular with the fans,should be shown the door:
Atkinson
Barnard
Barrett
Hurst
Prosser
Weston.

I've seen quite a few League 1 games this season and can tell you the standard is appreciably higher.
So Brown will need to be ruthless :-
We have just 7 who can definitely cope at that level:
Bentley
Bolger
Thompson
Coker
Timlin
Leonard
Worrell
3 more would be useful squad/back-up players:
White
Deegan
Corr
2 others should be given a season to see what they can do:
Payne
Ibenfeldt
And the others(I'm not considering the loanees),and I know some of these are popular with the fans,should be shown the door:
Atkinson
Barnard
Barrett
Hurst
Prosser
Weston.

Pretty much agree with that though I'd give Barrett another year.

Just want to put this out there...could Barnard do better in league 1? Where he has scored most of his goals... Just a thought.

We cannot play the slow sideways play for next season with balls hoofed from defence and hoping for throw-ins and free kicks in the last third of the pitch.

That means keeping much of the current team but key improvements required in defence, midfield and upfront or else we will struggle.

Been having this conversation with friends today. I think PB will know what he wants for league 1 and where he needs to strengthen. Hope he decides with his head and not with his heart, some tough decisions to make methinks, and, maybe some not so popular ones!

Brown was saying this morning that our chief scout was on the bench yesterday assessing the players. Need quality rather than quantity in my opinion. There are a lot of players out of contract and I'm sure loan signings with play a big part too.

I really don't get all this "Barrett lacks pace" rubbish, he did ok against Liverpool and his footballing brain and positional sense more than makes up for his age.

I wouldn't mind if John White never played for this football club ever again.

I have been nice to everyone today because we have just won promotion. The thing is we did it with John White leading from the front. So in keeping with my 'be nice' day, I don't think you could be more wrong.

We will need a clear out to compete in league 1 and if Phil stays then his tactical attacking prowess will need to be vastly improved.

Players out for me
Hurst,Corr,Atkinson,Barnard,Ibe,and sadly Deegan,from the loans,keep Macca and Piggy.

League 1 is a different animal altogether with big clubs with big players,pace at that level is key.

Still celebrating so good week end.

What planet are some of you fans on why on earth is it a must that ADAM BARRETT has to go If you cut him open like a stick of rock he would have SOUTHEND UNITED all the way through .he must have another season in him .Look at yesterday the way he beat his chest after his penalty and when he had hold of the trophy the pride really shoed through . Never fear Adam Barrett will be hear next season in league one .

I don't really want to see any of them go. Always sad when some good people end up departing the club at the end of the season.

Think Payne will definitely play a huge role next season. League One is a better standard of football and he'll be afforded more space and time. Don't think we'll see him bullied out of games like we have an occasions this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him score 10+ next season and become a vital member of the squad.

I have been nice to everyone today because we have just won promotion. The thing is we did it with John White leading from the front. So in keeping with my 'be nice' day, I don't think you could be more wrong.
He was nowhere to be seen afterwards when Wycombe scored the free kick, he's the least inspirational captain I've ever seen. Also a captain who has decent set-piece delivery letting two centre-backs take a penalty ahead of him.

Back