• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

spoons

Manager
I have heard all the discussions of his worth, and no need to repeat, but surely we need to thank him for keeping the club afloat and progressing.
He has his critics but no one can doubt his backing for Brown this season, leading to a large and talented squad.
He seems to have stayed quietly in the background this season but deserves credit for enabling us fans to enjoy some great moments with him in control.
He is working with a club at the 4th, now 3rd tier of football where financial decisions are crucial without the funds available in the Premier League supplied by Sky TV.
He seems to have weathered the financial crisis to build a great management team at Southend.
I hope he stays and manages to get Fossetts Farm built and gains the reward for the time and cash he has invested in Southend United.
Thanks Ron, looking forward to even better days :clap:.

Yeah,the club loses £20,000 every single week,well done Ron:winking:

There will be the haters who will never admit to appreciating anything RM does for the club. I think it's pretty amazing he's stuck around as long as he has, continuing to bankroll the club on a monthly basis.

MRS BLUE are we the only club to lose money every single week in the lower tier of football NO so lighten up woman And give Ron a little slack One some how some way we didn't take administration as some did By hook or by crook he kept us afloat I am not a Ron fan But should get some credit MRS blue don't rain on our parade just enjoy the day

Three promotions and three national finals. Not to mention five times in the play offs.....rubbish record
2004/05 - LDV Final, League 2 Play-off victory
2005/06 - League 1 Champions
2006/07 - Championship relegation, 1-0 vs Man Utd
2007/08 - Lost in play-offs
2008/09 - 1-1 and 1-4 vs Chelsea, 5 points off play-offs
2009/10 - League 1 relegation
2010/11 - Complete rebuild of the squad
2011/12 - Just missed out on automatic promotion, lost in play-offs
2012/13 - JPT Final
2013/14 - Lost in play-offs
2014/15 - League 2 play-off victory

Never a dull moment!

We can have owners that are a lot worse than Ron, look at Blackpool, Leeds etc just some examples. He has done well sticking around for this long. I really do think without him gone bust years ago. He is one of the better ones out of a bad bunch. Hope we do get the ground sooner or later. However, been saying this since 10 I'm now 32 years old. Up the blues

2012/13 - JPT Final

Never a dull moment!

Have been supporting this club since 1972 and can never remember such so much drama and excitement as we've been fortunate to experience in the last 10 years, albeit odd games (ie Liverpool and Bury) excepted. We have been fortunate.

Yeah,the club loses £20,000 every single week,well done Ron:winking:
and without the money coming from somewhere to cover these losses , without large interest repayments , imagine what the standard of squad we would have.
he may not be the best at delivering on the new ground promises, but I am sure we would be in uproar if a "greek style" austerity program was introduced in order to ensure we broke even every year.

2012/13 - JPT Final

Never a dull moment!

Throw in getting permission for the the new ground, a few winding-up orders, protests, Tilly being sacked the whole Sturrock/Brown fiasco and yeah it has been an incredible rollercoaster really.

If only

and without the money coming from somewhere to cover these losses , without large interest repayments , imagine what the standard of squad we would have.
he may not be the best at delivering on the new ground promises, but I am sure we would be in uproar if a "greek style" austerity program was introduced in order to ensure we broke even every year.

If only 1000 of the extra 14000 people who went to wembley turned up at home matches then we wouldn't be losing £20000 a week!

Three promotions and three national finals. Not to mention five times in the play offs.....rubbish record

I know things are meant to come in threes but I hope this isn't Rons plan to push ahead with a three sided stadium.

Seriously Cheers Ron. And also a thanks to Steve Kavanagh as well. I think under him the club has progressed quite a bit and the tax man seems to have been kept at bay since he came in as well.

If only 1000 of the extra 14000 people who went to wembley turned up at home matches then we wouldn't be losing £20000 a week!
It would take a few more than a 1000
20k a week is million, over 26 games and taking off vat etc thats going to be close to 3000 a game !
but semantics aside, your point is spot on, if we dont like the financial losses and we dont want to cut back on playing staff etc we must put more bums on seats....

I guarantee, if we had lost there would have been outrage on here about Uncle R and how he's been gambling with our club. Let's not suddenly change our opinions - we were a kick away from losing that playoff.

Somehow he has managed to keep a big name manager at the club and given him funds this season to strengthen the squad this season. How he's done it, I don't know, but fair play to him..it was a huge gamble that paid off.

However, the club is still losing an incredible amount of money each month and I won't let this win overshadow my worry that one day we may not be able to survive. I don't care about other clubs ie they are all losing money, have worse chairmen than ours etc. It's not relevent. All I care about.... is SUFC.

It would take a few more than a 1000
20k a week is million, over 26 games and taking off vat etc thats going to be close to 3000 a game !
but semantics aside, your point is spot on, if we dont like the financial losses and we dont want to cut back on playing staff etc we must put more bums on seats....

Well being in a higher division will help, probably not to the extent of 3,000 a game but if we do well you never know!

So Ron puts his own money in every month,well done Ron:hilarious:

Ron "chancer" Martin.Obtained the ground at a very good price,well below the going rate.Just so happened to live near Vic Jobson,who was very ill and near to death at the time.Jobson was desperate to offload the club,£2.3 million in debt,but,a big but,SUFC still owned the ground,albeit mortgaged.Uncle Ron is an out and out property man,who smells property.First,Delancy,and then Sainsburys have contributed financially.What with various subsidies,eg Football League,the pools,TV money etc.I feel Martin Dawn contribute some monies ,but nowhere near what people think.Anyway,the club survives and Saturday was a fantastic day. I am sure when and if the stadium is built Ron will have his tuppence worth out of it.He is surrounded by a yes men board,including the fat muppet Geoffrey King.Let us hope the club can go on to even better things in the near future.Us supporters will stillbe here when the family Martin are gone.Up the Shrimpers.

Still not for me unfortunately, but I will admit that he has done well to last this long - I just hope he has the decency to sell up if somebody comes along who has the capability, funds and resolve to really move us forward as a Club - unfortunately he still has too vested a personal interest in making this work. Emotion and business don't complement one another particularly well.

Back