• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maybe I'm talking rubbish, but can we attract the likes of Darren Bent or Bobby Zamora to Lge 1 ? Getting on a bit bu score goals, otherwise I think we need to target ex Championship rejects..
Don't think either of those would be realistic, would still be demanding stupid wages and Bent looked set to go to Derby before McClaren was sacked. Could do with some higher level experience as you say and definitely some interesting names on that list.

I think we should keep lee barnard as he is experienced in league one I don't see us getting tom pope jake cassidy
Is this a joke? Hasn't played for us since what October? Struggled all season and Brown's clearly not a fan, probably on a decent wage too.

We had near on 9 different strikers this season and was still one of the lowest scores in the top half , I would that must go down to our lack of creativity or that PB was putting the reigns on our midfielders .
I don't think we can say that with the right service that barnard, correct, piggot etc wouldn't do well , I think we need a creative midfielder , a quick forward and another CB and we should be able to compete at league one level

Barney couldn't score for us in L2. There is no reason to suggest he will score in L1. The formation isn't one that suits Barney

Can't agree with that last bit, he scored goals for us before while playing with several different strike partners. Theoretically, a Corr & Barnard partnership could have reaped huge rewards with both recording double figures of us in the past. Sadly this never materialised.

I do agree that he should be let go.

We should change the title on all these "who should we sign" threads to "which former players should we sign" as that's all most people seem to hanker after.

Personally I wonder if we might offer Hogan Ephraim a deal. He's can certainly put a ball in.

The squad size needs reducing, but all 4 loanees will go, plus maybe Smith, Ibenfeldt, Deegan, Clifford, Barnard, Hurst, Barrett - that actually frees up for 3 or 4 to come in.

I do wonder what view he'll take on Prosser, Corr and Atkinson at a higher level?

Keep Corr, try to get Pigott, Tom Pope would be good (or another such proven striker), + a young loanee would be a good core of strikers for me. I'd far rather find 3-4 strikers who would get us 8-12 goals each than chase after the elusive 20 goal striker.

We should change the title on all these "who should we sign" threads to "which former players should we sign" as that's all most people seem to hanker after.

Personally I wonder if we might offer Hogan Ephraim a deal. He's can certainly put a ball in.

The squad size needs reducing, but all 4 loanees will go, plus maybe Smith, Ibenfeldt, Deegan, Clifford, Barnard, Hurst, Barrett - that actually frees up for 3 or 4 to come in.

I do wonder what view he'll take on Prosser, Corr and Atkinson at a higher level?
I would keep Barrett, Bolger has improved greatly with Adam at his side

Brown really needs to kick into gear now - a successful season next year (mid-table finish) will do wonders for his CV (and ego).

Strikers are definitely a priority, as are some decent wingers. I don't think we should limit ourselves to the Championship/League One lists as there is plenty of quality in League 2 and conference. Hopefully we get to see a mixture of trialists in the pre-season matches.

How refreshing it'll be to have a summer of signings that we expect to considerably strengthen the club though! 😃

Simon Church would be a great signing. Career has stalled but loads of talent and quick.

I don't think championship freebes will drop down to league 1 for low wages so id rule that out

Some will.

There's a reason that a Championship club has released them in the first place, they don't deem them good enough for their own squad anymore. If no other Championship clubs are interested in said player or the player thinks he'll play more regularly he might drop down a league.

Even if we hadn't have secured promotion, we needed a new option up front and on the wings. If we can just bring in someone like Piggy on a perm plus some cover on the wings, I think that, along with the current promotion squad are good enough to comfortably maintain league 1 football.
Not entirely sure I buy into this league 1 is a big leap in quality. The amount of teams that come down to league 2 and struggle and teams that go up from league 1 and push at the top suggests its not a massive leap. Well, at least I hope so!
Besides. Col Ewe survive somehow so can't be that good :hilarious:

I would rather not see players at the fag end of their careers . Commitment and enthusiasm from youngersters eager to make a name for themselves in the game. So what if they end up going on to bigger and better things, I am ok with that

Indeed. Just like that central defender we signed in January.

Would you really keep Jake Cassidy over Corr? You say he would score goals in league 1, well he didn't in league 2 did he! Personally I would keep Corr and try our hardest to keep the pig alongside another new signing, for me Cassidy for all his work rate has shown nothing to convince me he's got that goal scoring instinct, I'm not convinced he'd score goals regularly at any level.

Oh yes every time Cassidy has scored goals for notts county , also a much better player than corr.but we need real pace up front someone like wanye gray time ,,

need pace for league one

Oh yes every time Cassidy has scored goals for notts county , also a much better player than corr.but we need real pace up front someone like wanye gray time ,,

need pace for league one

oh that should say type not time:'(

Not sure that Championship list is 100% accurate as Joe Pigott is at Charlton until 2016. Beckford is on that list, although I'd be surprised if Preston don't snap him up ASAP.

I wouldn't say they are "rejects" either as I doubt Brighton want to let players like Jake Forster-Caskey & Lewis Dunk leave.

Tom Pope would be a decent signing, but he said he wants to stay as long as he doesn't get offered a huge pay cut.

beckford is going to leeds again with keeper paul robinson

Danny Collins centre back at Forest is a no nonsense defender who would improve us but would probably turn his back on a drop in leagues and going south:blush:

Back