• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If Bentley is sold, who's number 1?

• Ted Smith

Votes: 86 40.2%
  • Paul Smith

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • New first choice keeper

Votes: 119 55.6%
  • Bart/Abstain

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Bentley and Mayor

2 players our respective clubs need to keep hold of or sell for a Million +

He won't walk for free, he will still be under 24 next summer so will demand a fee. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a 1 year contract extension just to help the club bargain more.

This. Jonjo Shelvey did a very similar thing at Charlton a few years ago.

For me, if Ted gets himself in the gym, must as Bentley did I see no reason why he shouldn't have a shot at being number 1. I imagine if Bentley goes we will sign another keeper so it will likely between Ted and whoever that is.

I'd be happy if we sold him to a decent top of the league Championship team so he gets the chance to improve his game further, but then gets loaned back to us for a year toget the league one experience

If he goes, the coaching staff need to make a call on Ted Smith, and if he's not ready we'll bring someone in.
Paul Smith will be gone within a week I'd have thought - our fat squad needs thinning and 3 keepers is too much at this level.

If he goes, the coaching staff need to make a call on Ted Smith, and if he's not ready we'll bring someone in.
Paul Smith will be gone within a week I'd have thought - our fat squad needs thinning and 3 keepers is too much at this level.

It is spelt PHAT, get down with the lingo dude ...

I cannot remember the exact wording of it, but Bentley said in an interview words to the effect of "I've achieved everything I wanted at Southend." That suggests to me that he thinks his work here is done, and he'll be off to a top Championship club over the summer.

Can't see Dan going now we've gone up, at least not this year. Ted needs to bulk up a bit before he can be considered first choice and I think Paul will move into coaching but possibly retained on a lower wage as back up.

If Bentley went for less than £2m we have been absolutely robbed

Joe Hart went from League 2 Shrewsbury to Man City for £600k plus add ons in 2006 after 54 league appearances.

Dan has made 96 and will be in League 1 next session, purely economic inflation makes that figure £800k but with transfer fee inflation, particularly for home grown players, it would be even more.

If Bentley went for less than £2m we have been absolutely robbed

Really?

Keepers are relatively cheap. No one is going to spend £2m straight up for for a keeper who may or may not be ready to play in the top 2 divisions. Kasper Schmeichel didn't move for that amount when he went from Notts County to Leeds, and then Leeds to Leicester. With addons and appearances we could make a small fortune, but I think if he was to go it'd be more like for £500k basic and a lot of additional clauses.

Really?

Keepers are relatively cheap. No one is going to spend £2m straight up for for a keeper who may or may not be ready to play in the top 2 divisions. Kasper Schmeichel didn't move for that amount when he went from Notts County to Leeds, and then Leeds to Leicester. With addons and appearances we could make a small fortune, but I think if he was to go it'd be more like for £500k basic and a lot of additional clauses.

City paid 600k rising to £1.5 million for Hart from Shrewsbury, he only played league 2 & conference 58 first team games, Bentley has more potential & experience than Hart did, he's English which adds to the price as there is not many up & coming english keepers about & if the Premier have the home grown rule then that could just add £££££££s

City paid 600k rising to £1.5 million for Hart from Shrewsbury, he only played league 2 & conference 58 first team games, Bentley has more potential & experience than Hart did, he's English which adds to the price as there is not many up & coming english keepers about & if the Premier have the home grown rule then that could just add £££££££s

City paid a lot because they're City. I don't think Bentley has quite the talent of Hart so my point remains really. We won't get £2m straight up. We may get a reasonable amount (500k or so) along with various additional clauses/loan back/sell on fee etc.

There are only 92 #1 jerseys, and so it comes down to a small group of clubs who might be looking for a first or second choice keeper. There are lots of good English keepers and so I don't get a strong sense that lots of clubs are going to be after Bentley, maybe a relatively small handful. A big club might wait a couple of years until he's established at a higher level and then make a move. For every Joe Hart there's a Ben Alnwick.

I think Bentley's price will be higher because without those clean sheets, we wouldn't be in the play-offs. It is a team effort but a lot was down to Bentley.

For every Joe Hart there's a Ben Alnwick.

...and for every Ben Alnwick there's a Tommy Forecast!

Personally I'd say £500k-£750k with a 25% sell on clause and other appearance and performance related bonuses would be good businesss. Having said that, the SkySports scout valued him at £1m with a potential value of £10m. I still can't see Ron wanting to part company for less than a million though as he's quite stubborn when it comes to holding out for a good fee.

If Bentley goes Ted will take over, if Dan stays Ted will be off.

I hope not, Ted is still developing and we have great GK coaching available.. I know there have already been enquiries from higher up the league but I hope they both stay.

I'd have no issue in Paul Smith taking over. OK, he isn't the hot prospect these days, but it is downright disrespectful to the man to not even acknowledge his existence in this scenario. No way that Ted Smith is ready yet.

For what it is worth (and I am sure they are just pulling my leg), a number of my Hamster friends have all told me that an ITK at West Ham is adamant that a deal has been done to purchase Bentley for circa. £1m, with a loan back for next season. Probably bollocks, but you never know.

I spoke with Dan Bentley on Sunday last week at the Southend legends charity match. He was pretty adamant that he has no plans on leaving Southend this summer, his family base being Wickford with his missus and little brother mean to much for him to leave at such a young age. I asked if offered will he sign a new contract as its up at the end of next season, and he responded saying that the club have made him aware that he will be offered a new deal in the summer, when I responded saying your value will obviously go up, he responded by saying happy with that, I love this club and want the best for it.

From the chat I had with him I do believe we will see him at Southend with another year on his deal, fingers crossed doing so well we can afford to turn down January offers as were right up there. If not look to cash in January with a loan back till end of the season.

West Ham seem hot favorites to make a move for him according to Sky Sports this morning..........surely this would depend on the new manager, whoever that may be

Back