• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you enjoy your job?

Job love

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
My boss just gave me a bollocking about not being enthusiastic about my job - and I told her pretty much that I find it, and probably any Engineering role tedious, and I'm only here for the money.

So does anyone actually enjoy their job?

BTW, I'm after a new one soon :hilarious:

I write software for an investment bank. It's really cutting edge stuff which the strats (mathematicians) use to write their risk models and reports.

Given a choice I would rather not be working for a bank but if I did anything more interesting I would more than likely take a hefty pay cut.

I am lucky in that I am in it for the money but I quite enjoy what I do.

In my experience most people who have high paid, enjoyable jobs are either sportsmen or have parents with high paid, enjoyable jobs.

My boss just gave me a bollocking about not being enthusiastic about my job - and I told her pretty much that I find it, and probably any Engineering role tedious, and I'm only here for the money.

So does anyone actually enjoy their job?

No enjoyment whatsoever and my bosses also struggle to grasp the reality, that its just something I do to pay the bills and fund a life away from my job.

Not really enjoying my job at the moment but thats mainly down to the London traffic. The money is what keeps me here.

Find another one then. One piece of advice - never denigrate your current/past employer in a job interview. Very few people complain their way into a new job.

Also bear in mind the people you meet on the way up might be the people you meet on the way down.

Yep. It's interesting and get a vague sense of doing something helpful and good. Underpaid relative to doing the same work in the private sector, but relatively well paid for the flexibility and 'work' that I'm expected to do. It's technical, hard, and sometimes stressful, but I can't really complain.

Never burn your bridges. It's a small world.

So very true. One reason I'm stuck where I am is because I did exactly that. I didn't take redundancy from a job I loved, in a good 'stiff upper lip' way and I said one or two things that have been remembered and when I applied for a job within the same department I heard from someone still there, that the phrase 'no way' was linked to my name. Mea culpa.

I love my job, sometimes there is a lot of ******** but I get to train and handle or sorts of dogs and I've always wanted to work with dogs. To be able to do it in the capacity I get to is a massive advantage. :smile:

I love my job... I get to t handle or sorts of dogs

So when you're handling the dog - let's say it's big, it's slathery and it's got one eye staring right at you - what do you? Man up and just jump on it? Or is it more about taking things slowly, not being too hands-on and just avoiding getting a good lashing across the face?

As for me, B2B journalism is - thankfully - far better paid and easier to climb than anthing for a sport-based publication like I initially set out to do. The hours are also far friendlier and allow me to get out and actually enjoy the game. There's a little sacrifice in the way of content - there's only so much interest you can take from the renewables industry - but that's par for the course. I still enjoy writing about it.

Being self employed has its moments, I can start and finish when I want aslong as I earn enough in the week to survive. It also comes down to the customers, for example today I took a woman with Downs Syndrome to a stable in Barling where she works. nice scenery and a sense of helping somebody, where as I have left customers in all night off licences or kebab shops as they are absolute *** holes.

Strangely enough despite the constant pressure and the flack that I take I regard myself as a very fortunate person as I actually do love my job and I work with some fantastic people and manage some utterly brilliant staff who deliver care under extreme constraints. Unfortunately, today was not a good day with people making various comments and demands and some just being down right rude and abusive - which I will not tolerate under any circumstances.
I have some decisions to make in the next year/eighteen months as I can retire at 55 and at the moment I don't feel ready to

Back