• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seem to recall him slicing home totally unmarked vs Port Vale I think at Roots Hall. One of the most basic own goals we have seen in modern times.
yes, I can give examples of every one if our defenders being directly responsible for the opposition scoring. You can always find fault if you look for it

Ps as OBL said he has his faults, but panic isn't one of them.

Seem to recall him slicing home totally unmarked vs Port Vale I think at Roots Hall. One of the most basic own goals we have seen in modern times.

Was that in that awful game when he was first facing his old club? Yes, he lost a lot of confidence then and fought back despite it. I'm remembering the head injuries when he's put his head in several times during the course of defensive work, the number of great tackles he makes. He doesn't have to play the ball out of defence, he gets rid, which is basic stuff, no messing.

Agreed , but your comment and my response were about his goal threat from corners......
Nice deflection though :winking:

Prosser will be the first name on the team sheet at centre back next season if you ask me, who will partner him I'm not sure, maybe Thomson or Bolger, can see Barrett being on the bench due to lack of pace in the legs for league one, still think brown will sign another centre back in pre-season as well.

Was that in that awful game when he was first facing his old club? Yes, he lost a lot of confidence then and fought back despite it. I'm remembering the head injuries when he's put his head in several times during the course of defensive work, the number of great tackles he makes. He doesn't have to play the ball out of defence, he gets rid, which is basic stuff, no messing.

You are right, he is a basic player, all commitment and playing the percentages, basically a model Sturrock player. This type of player can shine in league 2, he was decent but I wouldn't say he particularly shined. As you go up the leagues you need a bit more in your locker

You are right, he is a basic player, all commitment and playing the percentages, basically a model Sturrock player. This type of player can shine in league 2, he was decent but I wouldn't say he particularly shined. As you go up the leagues you need a bit more in your locker

Indeed. People say in L2 you get more time on the ball and it's less physical - personally I think that's a myth. In L2 you can get away with mistakes and teams in generally tend to be fairly limited in an attacking sense. In L1, your mistakes get punished and if you're constantly "keeping it basic" and "getting rid" from defence then you're just throwing away possession and allowing good teams to come at you.

While Prosser is reasonably solid in defence, I think he'd cause us too many problems by not being calm and able to play the ball out and retain possession. Fine for L2, but not for L1, IMO.

I've still not seen anything to convince me otherwise that Prosser isn't "just" the cheap, team-focused, good for morale, squad player we need, who can be relied on to step in as and when required in a couple of positions. Much as most like the guy, we can't be planning success in League 1 around him and I'd be surprised if that's in Brown's thinking. Barrett's experience proved its value in the run-in, but I'm sure Brown will be targeting a new defensive kingpin for the main berth alongside him and/or Bolger with Thompson also playing a part. Time will tell but let's face it, Brown knows what he's doing in this area of the pitch.

Indeed. People say in L2 you get more time on the ball and it's less physical - personally I think that's a myth. In L2 you can get away with mistakes and teams in generally tend to be fairly limited in an attacking sense. In L1, your mistakes get punished and if you're constantly "keeping it basic" and "getting rid" from defence then you're just throwing away possession and allowing good teams to come at you.

While Prosser is reasonably solid in defence, I think he'd cause us too many problems by not being calm and able to play the ball out and retain possession. Fine for L2, but not for L1, IMO.

I think that is spot on.
Being very general here , but the higher up you go , the better the strikers are and more likely to punish any mistakes.

I cant see Prosser being near the starting line-up unfortunately. I think hes a good defender on his day, but league two is his level. We all say he has been unlucky not getting back in the team for the last two seasons, but a top defender like Bolger has been for the last bit of the season would walk back in. Im sorry but he will only be a back up. Probably 4th cb as well. Assuming we bring one in.

i'm willing to trust Brown on this. I'd like Barrett to get a player coach role so we can keep him around but it's not all about him being a first choice. who better to tutor Bolger and Thompson?
Prosser may be about level with Barrett in League One so i can see the point of this but i'd like another top quality (relatively) centre back in but 5 is a lot. 4 1/2 i.e. Barrett as a player/coach would do alright for me.

or it might be that given what budget we have and other areas working better that this is an alright move to keep the defensive unit together for one more season and spend the money on other areas. in a way it's win/win as if we stay up we can replace him and if we go down we have a ready-made League 2 blocker who can do a job

i'm willing to trust Brown on this. I'd like Barrett to get a player coach role so we can keep him around but it's not all about him being a first choice. who better to tutor Bolger and Thompson?
Prosser may be about level with Barrett in League One so i can see the point of this but i'd like another top quality (relatively) centre back in but 5 is a lot. 4 1/2 i.e. Barrett as a player/coach would do alright for me.

or it might be that given what budget we have and other areas working better that this is an alright move to keep the defensive unit together for one more season and spend the money on other areas. in a way it's win/win as if we stay up we can replace him and if we go down we have a ready-made League 2 blocker who can do a job

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - HOW MANY COACHES DO WE NEED?

Yep, this for me as well. What I (man)love about the guy is his infectious enthusiasm around the club and its players. Some of his excitement in the after Wembley video was amazing considering he didn't get on the pitch during play.

The win was about the Season. Luke played a massive part mid way.

That all depends. Prosser was good enough to be first choice most of last season and for a good part of this. If he hadn't have got injured and we happened to find Adam ready and willing to come back, then he probably would still have been first choice.

Both of the past two seasons our best defensive run has been combined with Prosser injuries.

a fair point and I have no idea but Barrett seems like the type who would be useful as a coach. and we probably don't need any more defensive coaches but it would be nice to keep Barrett involved in some way

why would it be nice? it would be nice to keep everyone who's been under contract 'involved' in some way, but we need to do what's best for the club.

why would it be nice? it would be nice to keep everyone who's been under contract 'involved' in some way, but we need to do what's best for the club.

it would be nice because he's a local lad and a club legend. while i get that 'nice' and 'good for the club' may be different things as a fan i'm a romantic rather than hard-headed. if the manager can't find a place for him that's his decision, but c'mon. c'mon, it's adam bloody Barrett

As many have said Luke is a nice bloke and a real friendly chap; he has made steady improvements.
I don't think he was as poor as some seemed to think when he first started playing for us & nor do I think he has improved sufficiently to be a Div 1 starter or replacement.
He has had several good years and earned the respect he is being given.
And the truth is he is NOT of the standard of Adam or Egan (both who came in for him) and more is needed from a centre back in being able to bring the ball forward/composure than Luke has displayed.
His skills are in last ditch tackles and blocks - better reading of situations and awareness ( remember the JPT v Daggers) is unlikely to be areas Luke can develop at 27 & 100+ league games experience if he hasn't got it yet.
He is a smart lad and if he gets offered a 2 yr contract elsewhere then I will wish him well; and if he plays for us I will cheer him on as i have since his first game.

Bit harsh when his last ditch tackles are overwhelmingly from when he's been reading the game and covering a team-mate's mistake.

Both of the past two seasons our best defensive run has been combined with Prosser injuries.

Don't think that's right. Our clean sheet record is pretty much identical with or without him this season.

As many have said Luke is a nice bloke and a real friendly chap; he has made steady improvements.
I don't think he was as poor as some seemed to think when he first started playing for us & nor do I think he has improved sufficiently to be a Div 1 starter or replacement.
He has had several good years and earned the respect he is being given.
And the truth is he is NOT of the standard of Adam or Egan (both who came in for him) and more is needed from a centre back in being able to bring the ball forward/composure than Luke has displayed.
His skills are in last ditch tackles and blocks - better reading of situations and awareness ( remember the JPT v Daggers) is unlikely to be areas Luke can develop at 27 & 100+ league games experience if he hasn't got it yet.
He is a smart lad and if he gets offered a 2 yr contract elsewhere then I will wish him well; and if he plays for us I will cheer him on as i have since his first game.

If you have to go that far back for an example your point is lost IMO. How about his last performance against Luton, and a late late tackle that saved an almost certain goal - where as Yorkshire pointed out earlier he was covering for someone else being out of position !

Ultimately we all see the game differently, I see Prosser look up see nothing on and launch it, others see a hoof. Another defender puts it into the stands, people say ' good stuff , play it safe, Prosser does the same thing - its a hoof Anyone remember Morecambe- and when they scored from a quick throw- a 'hoof' into the stands would have stopped the quick throw and therefore would/may have stopped the goal.

Back