• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barry Corr explains reasons for leaving Southend United to join Cambridge

Evening Echo

The News
BARRY Corr has revealed the reasons behind his decision to leave Southend United in favour of a switch to Cambridge.

More...

“The manager wants to play two up front with two wingers and I think that will be good for me,” said the 30-year-old.

“I don't really enjoy playing up front on my own if I'm honest and I do feel as though a new challenge will bring the best out in me.

Says it all. Doesn't like Brown's style of set up

“The manager wants to play two up front with two wingers and I think that will be good for me,” said the 30-year-old.

“I don't really enjoy playing up front on my own if I'm honest and I do feel as though a new challenge will bring the best out in me.

Yet we have been playing two up front for 20 odd games.

Target men play up front on their own, bring the ball down & hold it up for others to bring into play, Barry could hold it up, he couldn't find the pass to bring others into play cos he lacked the vision.

He will struggle at Cambridge too...........

If someone doesn't want to play for a manager that got us promoted in a system that got us promoted, see you later. Barry you have done alright for us but you are a long way of being bigger than this club. It should be a ****ing honour to play in the Blue or Yellow of SOUTHEND, regardless of system. The majority dream of playing a minute in your shoes, now jog on and don't look back. We won't.

If someone doesn't want to play for a manager that got us promoted in a system that got us promoted, see you later. Barry you have done alright for us but you are a long way of being bigger than this club. It should be a ****ing honour to play in the Blue or Yellow of SOUTHEND, regardless of system. The majority dream of playing a minute in your shoes, now jog on and don't look back. We won't.

I agree that all the fans on the terraces would love to play a fraction of the time that Barry has but overall that view is harsh - the man has a living to make and has an opinion that I am happy to listen to.

I suspect you are hurting a little inside and the post is a reflection of that ...... and that says quite a bit about Barry. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Memories. have to say I'm surprised that a player would drop a division.. That's not the kind of player we want at this club, so right decision in the end for both parties.

Less of the "WE" you certainly don't speak for the majority of SUFC fans

It may be a case that he would struggle in the new league be interesting if Cambridge get promoted to league one would he leave? I think so hes a league two player

From the echo website:
“I would never want to speak badly of anyone at the club because I've had such a great time there but they didn't really massively push to keep me there,” said Corr.

“They left talking to me about a new deal a very long time and let my contract run out so other clubs started talking to my agent."

Am aware it's professional football and not the same as the 'real world' but how valued would YOU feel if your employer did the same after you have performed well?.. I would certainly be listening to other offers and looking out for Number One (or Number 10 in Corrs Case)

If this truly is the main driver behind Corr leaving, then good riddance. All emotion aside, if a player wants to ply their trade for another season in League 2 after achieving what we did barely a week ago, distain for one-up-front or not, then this shows a massive lack of ambition and, perhaps, a complete lack of self-belief.

Pretty sure you could replace the word 'Southend' with any football club and the fans of that club would say it say it should be an honour to play for them, I think the majority of people dream of playing for Manchester United or Arsenal, not Southend. Corr isn't a Southend fan, he's given us 5 good years when he was under no obligation to stick around, if he feels it is time to move on then good luck to him, there's no need to start insulting him.

Pretty sure you could replace the word 'Southend' with any football club and the fans of that club would say it say it should be an honour to play for them, I think the majority of people dream of playing for Manchester United or Arsenal, not Southend. Corr isn't a Southend fan, he's given us 5 good years when he was under no obligation to stick around, if he feels it is time to move on then good luck to him, there's no need to start insulting him.

Let us not forget that the Club also stuck with the player through extended periods of injury, and successive managers have probably raised his stock to the point where an outfit like Portsmouth were courting him. When he left Swindon, he almost certainly faced the scrapheap as a footballer.

Sounds to me like Corr wanted to go to a club that was desperately trying to persuade him than a club that waited until the last minute.

This bit about Cambridge playing with 2 up front and 2 wingers sounds more like the reason why he joined them instead of someone else rather than join them instead of staying with us.

From the echo website:
I would never want to speak badly of anyone at the club because I've had such a great time there but they didn't really massively push to keep me there,” said Corr.

They left talking to me about a new deal a very long time and let my contract run out so other clubs started talking to my agent."

Am aware it's professional football and not the same as the 'real world' but how valued would YOU feel if your employer did the same after you have performed well?.. I would certainly be listening to other offers and looking out for Number One (or Number 10 in Corrs Case)

He keeps forgetting to mention that Cambridge are paying him a lot more dosh. Selective memory.

Never get the animosity to players when they leave like this. He was a good player largely, we picked him off the scrap head and supported him when he wad a crock, in return he scored a fair few goals and moved on.

Good luck Bazza. not bothered your off but good luck none the less.

Back