• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes, that was my understanding - he (Marsh) could no longer play league football because of the injury payout. I had never heard of it before and I still not quite sure how such a restriction on earnings can be applied.

Didn't that happen to another player who was way too good to be in the conference? Can't remember his name but he was always linked with us but he never came for that reason.

Didn't that happen to another player who was way too good to be in the conference? Can't remember his name but he was always linked with us but he never came for that reason.
I recall it happening with Gary Waddock , got injured , got an insurance payout, went to play in the Belgian 2nd Div, which the insurers were ok with, when he came back to the UK his new club paid the insurance company back, QPR and Millwall ring bells

Yes, that was my understanding - he (Marsh) could no longer play league football because of the injury payout. I had never heard of it before and I am still not quite sure how such a restriction on earnings can be applied.
there is no restriction on earnings, the insurance payout is based on the termination of a players career, if he resumes playing at an equivalent level, ie full time then the claim , or some of it, must be repaid.
A bit like salvage on a total loss in general insurance

Yes, that was my understanding - he (Marsh) could no longer play league football because of the injury payout. I had never heard of it before and I am still not quite sure how such a restriction on earnings can be applied.

This type of clause has been around since the 70s at least. If I remember correctly, Jimmy Greaves was prevented from resuming his league career with Hereford (after they were elected to the football league) as he'd taken a payout from the PFA when he retired.

don't think my last post went on mods.

Just to reiterate I though he was one of the best players I have seen at RH, pure class IMO

We broke him pretty quick though

Although the insurance money came in handy. IIRC he went non league after that and won the Conference with Kidderminster but couldn't go up with them because of the compensation he had received

Just Checked, he played 84 games ,
works out about £6K a game, staggering.

Marsh is now in the England coaching set up, but must reapply for his job:

ENGLAND COACHES' JOB FEAR ... to reapply for their jobs – Keith Downing, Paul Williams, Mike Marsh and Eric Steele ... All their contracts are up at the end of next month and they must reapply to get their jobs permanently

Marsh is now in the England coaching set up, but must reapply for his job:

ENGLAND COACHES' JOB FEAR ... to reapply for their jobs – Keith Downing, Paul Williams, Mike Marsh and Eric Steele ... All their contracts are up at the end of next month and they must reapply to get their jobs permanently

Two ex Shrimpers in those four, mind you Eric Steele was awful....

Always remember Plymouth away under Alvin when we were expecting to see Mike Marsh. Defintely wasnt him wearing the shirt, but Martin Allen. Back in the day when all we had was an email list and Teletext/Ceefax for news.

Mike Marsh is definitely one of the best players I have ever seen play for us

I know this post is from a couple of years back, but I missed it then.

Marsh was quality in the middle of the park in that Championship side.

Loved watching him play. Just had that extra second of time that the best players always seem to have.

Good to see he's still involved in football today.

Still friends with a lot of players from the Southend side inc John Nielson who came to visit
The two Whelan seasons were chalk and cheese. 95/96 was great, lots of amazing games and goals, some characters too in Marsh, Byrney, Laps, McNally, Boere. Flirted with play-offs in the new year. The second was a catastrophe, absolute ****e apart from the Bolton game.

Back