• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Women's World Cup 2015

Yep, cracking result and better still as the frauleins were on the receiving end for once. I think the Lionesses have taken UK women's football a huge step forward by their performances.

The "legacy" is already being felt. I coach at Charlton Womens and we had a record number of trialists over the age groups, including around 70 for the U16s. There's a huge ground swell of public opinion that this England side have helped propagate so it's now crucially important that the FA do everything they can to not just help the sport grow, but educate too. Michael Calvin's raised a great point today that there are still some pro outfits without a womens team, including the likes of Southampton and Man United, which is very poor. Make it mandatory under the EPPP when it's reviewed.

The "legacy" is already being felt. I coach at Charlton Womens and we had a record number of trialists over the age groups, including around 70 for the U16s. There's a huge ground swell of public opinion that this England side have helped propagate so it's now crucially important that the FA do everything they can to not just help the sport grow, but educate too. Michael Calvin's raised a great point today that there are still some pro outfits without a womens team, including the likes of Southampton and Man United, which is very poor. Make it mandatory under the EPPP when it's reviewed.

And that may yet prove the most difficult thing to do. I'm sure the FA will say all the right things and have poster campaigns etc, but truly embracing women's football? I remain to be convinced just yet.

Great viewing last night! :thumbsup:

At the risk of having ESB giving me a moral rousting, up until this World Cup women's football has only been of passing interest to me, even the GB team at the 2012 Olympics didn't do it for me, football's for blokes I thought. I have, however, been completely converted as a result of the matches I have seen at this World Cup. Good, flowing games with very little dissent or cynicism and not a little skill. A bit naïve tactically at times, but most of the players were fit, very fit, and definitely exciting to watch and I would probably now pay to watch particular matches at International level.

Last edited:
I'll watch ladies footie, problem is it's not on a lot. Even if we got a MOTD style highlight show on free to air in the next few seasons I'd be happy. I'd love for Sky to get a few matches on the telly as well if they haven't already (don't have it myself so can't really check).

Think that own goal might have been a blessing in disguise, we got to go out on a high instead of being humiliated by the US. Based off the first 20 minutes I have no idea how USA aren't ranked first in the world, it looks like Arsenal against Canvey Island at the moment.

Nice to see (some, and hopefully a tiny minority) of US fans not gloating much.

Apparantly the women's world cup win for repayment for Pearl Harbor. Nice. :thumbdown:

That's Americans for you. ****ing stupid.

Ahem, plenty of Americans who also attacked the idiot tweeters, so hopefully just a tiny minority. The English are hardly golden - everytime we played Germany the press (used to) roll the clock back to 1945.

And that may yet prove the most difficult thing to do. I'm sure the FA will say all the right things and have poster campaigns etc, but truly embracing women's football? I remain to be convinced just yet.

I didn't think the FA would prove the point so quickly, but they have. Diabolical!!

A tweet from an account run by the Football Association was quickly deleted on Monday after immediately running into controversy - although the organisation behind England's national football team says the message was taken out of context.
It was meant to be a tribute, but ended up being criticised as "patronising" and "sexist." @England - the official feed of the England national football team, run by the FA - tweeted on Monday:
_84085608_englandtweet.png
The message was deleted soon after posting, but not before being captured and circulated on Twitter. Soon criticism was heaped on the organisation behind what a Washington Post reporter called an "appalling, sexist tweet."

Goes to show you just how much more education is needed really. It really doesn't matter what the intent is if the content is ultimately patronising and offensive. The only caveat with the FA's tweet mind is it was probably some social media intern who's dropped a bollock, as a lot of full-time staff will be on holiday while they can. Doesn't excuse it of course.

Poorly worded, but would there be this hoo-ha if it was the mens team (obviously would be "fathers, partners and sons")? I highly doubt it.

It seems like during this whole tournament some people have been waiting for a slightly sexist comment to be made before jumping on it. This tweet is probably a classic example, you can read it 2 ways. One way is the way it was most likely meant, they have returned from the bubble of being in an International tournament and have been reunited with their families as heroes. The other way is to take it as they are saying these women are going back to being mothers, partners and daughters and just that - i.e. saying women live just for family life.

I'm all for equality, but that doesn't mean you can't say anything about them. If a man says a woman footballer has "nice legs", is that sexist? What is a woman says a male footballer has "nice legs", is that sexist too? Either both are or neither are IMO.

I still think the tweet could have been worded differently, but they have hardly resorted to a stereotype by saying they are mothers or daughters.

Poorly worded, but would there be this hoo-ha if it was the mens team (obviously would be "fathers, partners and sons")? I highly doubt it.

The point is such comments wouldn't be made about the men's team if they'd just returned home with a third place finish in a World Cup.

I saw the tweet before seeing the story and though it was patronising instant I saw it.

Very poor choice of phrasing.

ON other news I see Tilson has been given the managers job at Basildon ladies, wonder if the World Cup will give the sport a boost?

ON other news I see Tilson has been given the managers job at Basildon ladies, wonder if the World Cup will give the sport a boost?

They've been promoted into our division for next season. I'll be bagging a spot on the bench for that game for sure.

I saw the tweet before seeing the story and though it was patronising instant I saw it.

Very poor choice of phrasing.

Is that C & K Basildon Ladies? I know he was already coaching there and they were promoted last season. They play at Selex sports ground at the moment but looks like they now need to move as they need a pitch with floodlights.

Is that C & K Basildon Ladies? I know he was already coaching there and they were promoted last season. They play at Selex sports ground at the moment but looks like they now need to move as they need a pitch with floodlights.

Yep thats the one, he was head coach but the manager left so he has move up.

Back