• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two in running for under 21 manager role

The young players who've broken into the team over the last couple of years show how important our development set-up is. We criticise our club a lot at times but when you look at the likes of Bentley, Payne and young Smith among others, we're clearly doing something right. As we'll see in the coming months/years when we do finally cash in on Bentley, ONE successful player should more than play for the coaching investment.

I'm keen for us to stay within our budget but it's great to see we've got ambition.

Keep up the good work Southend United.

Last edited:
The young players who've broken into the team over the last couple of years show how important our development set-up is. We criticise our club a lot at times but when you look at the likes of Bentley, Payne, Leonard among others, we're clearly doing something right. As we'll see in the coming months/years when we do finally cash in on Bentley, ONE successful player should more than play for the coaching investment.

I'm keen for us to stay within our budget but it's great to see we've got ambition.

Keep up the good work Southend United.

Fully agree. Although wasn't Lenny signed on a free rather than through youth team? Can only see this announcement as good news

Fully agree. Although wasn't Lenny signed on a free rather than through youth team? Can only see this announcement as good news

Yes, Leonard had already played for plymouth 1st team when we signed him, albeit 1 appearance, so he's hardly a product of our youth academy

Bentley, Payne and young Smith (aka Leonard) gain mention by name, but Kane Ferdinand and Franck Moussa also merit inclusion in the 'named' list I think.

U21 league is a poor set up, all the skill is being coached out of youngsters, too much emphasis on keeping the ball and no licence to express themselves anymore

What rubbish OAA. A good youth system is the only way for a lower league club to become sustainable. A club will coach it's young players the way it sees fit to bring them through to play for their team and fit in with the way they want to play. Would someone like Payne have come through if your hypothesis was actually the case? If by possession, however you actually mean technique then that's actually a good thing. Gone are the days of players making it through youth teams by being bigger than all the other boys and I hope the days of players with technical ability are here to stay. Producing players like that will allows football in this country to develop from the kick and rush we've been playing for a century or more.

Last edited:
What rubbish OAA. A good youth system is the only way for a lower league club to become sustainable. A club will coach it's young players the way it sees fit to bring them through to play for their team and fit in with the way they want to play. Would someone like Payne have come through if your hypothesis was actually the case? If by possession, however you actually mean technique then that's actually a good thing. Gone are the days of players making it through youth teams by being bigger than all the other boys and I hope the days of players with technical ability are here to stay. Producing players like that will allows football in this country to develop from the kick and rush we've been playing for a century or more.
You are talking tosh, get yourself down to the training grounds of some big clubs and see these lads before spouting off, most of them are huge. Did you actually watch any of the latest debacle from our England U21 set up ?

To be fair to OAA, he has a point. The England U21 team seemed to have the idea of possession football but it was possession for possession's sake, sideways and backwards but never the speed or the vision to use that possession to create any meaningful chances. It was keeping the ball, Eddy Melito, but not as the Germans or Spanish know it.

You are talking tosh, get yourself down to the training grounds of some big clubs and see these lads before spouting off, most of them are huge. Did you actually watch any of the latest debacle from our England U21 set up ?

That's why I specifically mentioned all of this as being about smaller clubs.

Bentley, Payne and young Smith (aka Leonard) gain mention by name, but Kane Ferdinand and Franck Moussa also merit inclusion in the 'named' list I think.

I have been a little reticent to refer to Moussa as a "youth Product" as he was 17 when he signed for us , he was at Anderlecht until he was 16 , then had a year at West Ham

I have been a little reticent to refer to Moussa as a "youth Product" as he was 17 when he signed for us , he was at Anderlecht until he was 16 , then had a year at West Ham

I think we can take at least some credit in his development, particularly in the context of talking about an u21 league.

Does this mean that we will be taking part in an Under 21/reserve league or just plodding on with behind close door friendlies, when they are arranged?

Does this mean that we will be taking part in an Under 21/reserve league or just plodding on with behind close door friendlies, when they are arranged?

We have to enter an U21 team in the FA's official U21 league(s) as part of our EP3 commitments.

It's a positive move and can, if managed properly, help to bridge the gap between our current academy set-up and the senior team. Quite a few players in the 18-21 bracket have stagnated with us and this should at the very least allow them regular(ish) football.

Back