• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

davew

Coach
Has the club any money to spend on new players without selling (Bentley, etc) it's not just a case of transfer fee, but salary etc.

If they can get a good deal for selling Bentley to a bigger club, may be a good deal for both SEND + him.

At the mo can't see them getting much for any of the other contracted players

You never know I may win the SKYBET transfer comp (think its £250k) to help out

I'm sure Ron will have learnt a very valuable lesson in overspending last time we were in a higher division. I'm confident we'll be OK on that front.

There's no need to spend transfer fees these days unless you're buying someone from a lower league who's on a long contract, in which case a small fee is appropriate. Look at the (many) transfers that have already happened this summer at L1 and L2 level - very few have involved money.
We've just won promotion with a sizeable squad which can't have come cheap, and it's not the first time the club has backed its manager around January time in a bid to get out of that league.
Whether the club has the money it's spending is another question entirely.

I'm sure Ron will have learnt a very valuable lesson in overspending last time we were in a higher division. I'm confident we'll be OK on that front.

The very last time we were in "a higher division", he wasn't paying the players or management anyway !

The very last time we were in "a higher division", he wasn't paying the players or management anyway !

Very true, although Ron will know he can't get away with that again if he wants us to at least consolidate in L1. Even after Barney left there was enough quality in that squad to avoid relegation IMHO, unfortunately off-field issues understandably affected the teams performances. While I give RM credit for backing both Sturrock & Brown in L2 there's no getting away from the fact it was his fault we dropped into the 4th tier. I'm confident he won't make that mistake again.

We've released 7 players, with 3 likely to be on decent wages (Barnard, Clifford & P Smith) and 4 on low wages (Banton, Farrell, Ibenfeldt, E Brown). We lost Corr as well, who would have been on decent wages too.

As long as those getting a new contract don't get a considerable wage rise, those 8 leaving plus the funds from season ticket sales (currently at 3,000 - higher than this stage last season) should be enough to bring in 4 or 5 quality first team players.

We've released 7 players, with 3 likely to be on decent wages (Barnard, Clifford & P Smith) and 4 on low wages (Banton, Farrell, Ibenfeldt, E Brown). We lost Corr as well, who would have been on decent wages too.

As long as those getting a new contract don't get a considerable wage rise, those 8 leaving plus the funds from season ticket sales (currently at 3,000 - higher than this stage last season) should be enough to bring in 4 or 5 quality first team players.

Plus, maybe, some of the dosh from the play-off semis and final?

I'm not hundred percent on this but a good friend of mine who's not prone to bullshitting told me the Sky deal for league two clubs was around 750 thousand so I would imagine for league one we'd have to be looking near a million - total guess.

Last season's Sky money
Championship 2.3m (plus parachute payments)
League 1 £360,000
League 2 £240,000

Not sure about this season very similar I believe. Larger rises due in 2016.

Although he may have been on a clauses depending on amount of games played, with Julian Bennett retiring, that will free up some of the wage budget and accruals for bonuses depending on the clauses of his contract.

Its probably because Ron has got the clubs money in offshore accounts. Knowing Ron, he's probably done it on the cheap and put it in Greek bank accounts, thus can only withdraw €60 a day.

We should have enough to pay for the agents fees in about a 6 months at that rate

Back