• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We pretty much always had more shots than the opposition, just struggled to score. Even when we went to what some will call a more attacking formation we still lacked goals.

On a slightly different tangent, that is the problem with statistics .............. you can go to a game and come away thinking we had hardly any chances on goal and wouldn't score if we played all night and then the BBC says there were 17 shots and 3 on target ...... what it doesn't tell you is that the opposition goalie didn't bother to get his kit washed at the end of the game because it was still clean after 90 minutes of doing nothing.

As it stands our opening match could see us line up with

Bentley
white Bolger Barrett coker
lenny timlin
worrall Wordsworth McLoughlin (I know it's not yet confirmed but I do believe he will sign)
mooney

im not a fan of the one striker formations, but this lineup does excite me, and to think we will still make more signings which could change that 11

As it stands our opening match could see us line up with

Bentley
white Bolger Barrett coker
lenny timlin
worrall Wordsworth McLoughlin (I know it's not yet confirmed but I do believe he will sign)
mooney

im not a fan of the one striker formations, but this lineup does excite me, and to think we will still make more signings which could change that 11
That's the exact starting line up I'd go with if McLaughlin signs.

Fry was a one-off, very few managers play that open nowadays - if you're looking for a manager with that kind of philosophy you'll likely be disappointed. If you remember Webby teams then you can't have failed to notice that we were quite direct. Yes we had a very good side in the late 80's and early 90's and we were very successful and fair play to Webby for that as he did a good job. Brown's teams play in a more attractive way in my opinion, while I have no real problem per se with direct football no-one can really argue that a passing style is more enjoyable to watch and Brown has given us that.

I'd describe our style last two seasons as more possession than passing.

If Wordsworth provides some attacking guile so we can play passing football with some purpose and attacking intent than I'm all for his signing.

Passing for passing sake without any attacking intent is extremely dull. Even worse than seeing players compete for high balls. That's why FIFA outlawed the backpass. What you want to see is football like we played that second half v Yeovil.

I'd describe our style last two seasons as more possession than passing.

If Wordsworth provides some attacking guile so we can play passing football with some purpose and attacking intent than I'm all for his signing.

Passing for passing sake without any attacking intent is extremely dull. Even worse than seeing players compete for high balls. That's why FIFA outlawed the backpass. What you want to see is football like we played that second half v Yeovil.

Indeed, what our midfield lacked all season other than from Worrall was assists and creativity, Wordsworth is hopefully a player that will shift us from having an industrious midfield to more of a creative one.

That's the exact starting line up I'd go with if McLaughlin signs.

Maybe that would be a good starting eleven , but I really hope that Hurst can hit the ground running and get back to something like his very best.
He was a very important player for us 2 seasons ago and had an excellent assists record plus a fair few goals for a wide midfielder.
Without wishing to sound too much like a cliche , it would be like a new signing.

Maybe that would be a good starting eleven , but I really hope that Hurst can hit the ground running and get back to something like his very best.
He was a very important player for us 2 seasons ago and had an excellent assists record plus a fair few goals for a wide midfielder.
Without wishing to sound too much like a cliche , it would be like a new signing.

I hope I am wrong but I have an unpleasant feeling that Hurst might end up moving on. :sad:

I think that too Danny. Trouble is, who would he displace. A nice problem for Brown if it happens, but I can see a few of last season's heroes being a bit brassed off at the lack of opportunities.

Yeah completely agree. Was such a contrast between last season and 2 seasons ago. Hard to put your finger on why that happened.

The games at the end of the season showed that the attack starts and moves right from the gk through the team and that an attacking mindset really can help us get some wins; maybe not the "attack, attack, attack, you score 3 we will get 4" of Barry Fry but close enough to be worthy of appreciating.
Mr Barratt, Thommo, and Bolger along with the "wing backs" do try and bring it forward/see a pass and AW may be the sort of middie we need to get 10 goals a season, box to box, and similar cliches - Lord knows JJ O'Toole wasn't the right fit for us.
IMO this is a good signing for us AND the suggested starting 11 in an earlier post reads to have balance and lots of positives.

The games at the end of the season showed that the attack starts and moves right from the gk through the team and that an attacking mindset really can help us get some wins; maybe not the "attack, attack, attack, you score 3 we will get 4" of Barry Fry but close enough to be worthy of appreciating.
Mr Barratt, Thommo, and Bolger along with the "wing backs" do try and bring it forward/see a pass and AW may be the sort of middie we need to get 10 goals a season, box to box, and similar cliches - Lord knows JJ O'Toole wasn't the right fit for us.
IMO this is a good signing for us AND the suggested starting 11 in an earlier post reads to have balance and lots of positives.

Yes - the O'Toole experiment. Funny how sometimes it works and other times not. As you say with a defence that bring the ball forward we might see the midfield moving further up (and Lenny can attack well at times) and take the pressure to the opposition.

I can see Hurst improving with players like Wordsworth & Mooney to work with. To be fair to Kev he's not got the pace but has a good footballing brain and a nice technique, working alongside Wordsworth who looks to be pretty switched on and Mooney who likes to make runs in behind could work well for Hurst. Time will tell, if the signings of Wordsworth & Mooney do get us our old Hurst back then that'll be a big bonus.

Southend United manager Phil Brown: Anthony Wordsworth can dictate matches for us nex

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is backing his latest summer signing Anthony Wordsworth to dictate matches for the Shrimpers next season.

More...

It would be great to Hurst back playing like he used to. Last season was a write of for him but I still see him as a quality player, I just hope brown can get him back to his old self. We need his creativity and assists. A midfield of Timlin scrapping and batterling for everything with wordsworth pulling the strings and then having worrall and hurst being creative on the wings. That would be a quality midfield and can see it working well.

YAWN... YOU'VE MADE YOUR POINT SEVERAL TIMES NOW... WE GET IT... YOU LOVE THE GUY AND WANT HIS BABIES.... NOT GOING TOO HAPPPEN... LET IT GO WILL YA:violin::Red card:

The irony is he has been banned and hasnt posted in ages yet people keep replying.

Lets ALL let it go and stick the topic now eh....

The irony is he has been banned and hasnt posted in ages yet people keep replying.

Lets ALL let it go and stick the topic now eh....

Is he banned? It said "banned" under his user name before, now it doesn't. Trouble is, some people, like southend4eva above, may only just be coming to the thread for the first time, we're not all daily users!

Back