• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah, not exactly rocket science. I dare say Penney might've been tapped up for a management role and wanted any new deal to reflect that. The additions of Smith and the new U21 manager would've added to an already tight coaching budget, so there's not a lot of wriggle room. Penney to chance his arm elsewhere with Coughlan stepping up is a smart move for all those involved.

I've always felt he was a bit superfluous to be honest. Cocko seemed to lead the day to day stuff already.

Seems to be a matter of best for all parties.
Chief Executive Steve Kavanagh said: “We offered Dave a new contract but he has decided for personal reasons not to accept and plans to move back to West Yorkshire.

“I would like to thank Dave for all his efforts over the last two years and wish him well in the future.”

Dave Penney said “I have had two great years at the club, culminating in promotion last May.

“I would like to take this opportunity of wishing the club and its supporters continued success”

http://mobile.southendunited.co.uk//news/article/dave-penney-southend-united-news-2529340.aspx#

I think Dave Penney will be a big miss. Very experienced as a previous Manager and strong figure with us. From where I sat without doubt the most influential of our coaches during games in terms of strongly shouting instructions, warnings, encouragement and advice.

Sad to see Dave Penney go. I would like to thank him for his contribution whilst he has been at Southend United . He helped to make the day at Wembley a memorable one. A day to remember for the fans. Thank you and good luck in whatever you do. :smile:

He didn't fancy the sun down here in the end and wanted to return back up north to the wind rain and snow, must be mad:omg:

For me penny was a big name to have as an assistant and he does have the CV to be a manager not an assistant

Not to bothered really, coughlan has been quite loyal and is learning his trade

Not that I begrudge him the opportunity but he had an interview for the Plymouth job - loyalty is one thing, being unemployed is different.

This said, after being with us for five years and second only to Prosser in terms of longest serving, I would expect that Coughlan has a strong affiliation to us.

Shocking stuff! Should have gone with the headline "Blues now Penney-less"

Certainly a shame, makes me wonder if the police incident played are part in this.
there's been many in the past that have done far worse and the club hasn't made it difficult to stay .... So I believe ambition is the root cause and who would blame him if that is the case ....

Sad to see Dave Penney go. I would like to thank him for his contribution whilst he has been at Southend United . He helped to make the day at Wembley a memorable one. A day to remember for the fans. Thank you and good luck in whatever you do. :smile:

Yes. Whenever I have been near enough to see Penney "in action" during a game Penney seemed to be adding something positive to the situation - unlike that bloke Widdrington who did a good impression of a "bell end". :omg:

The question for me that I would like answering is whose idea has it been to bring off Timlin during games when Tims has been playing so well/running the midfield?

Shame to see him go, obviously would have contributed to the promotion last season.

As others have said, would really like to see an attacking coach brought in. Our coaching staff next season could be;

Brown, Coughlan, Paul Smith, Barrett (bit presumptuous, but he could get involved in some coaching either this season or next). Hardly attack minded.

In my opinion Penney was a key to our eventual promotion. He get Doncaster playing well but admire his ambition. If we were still in Lg 2 he would probably have been offered Browns job.
Good luck to him and getting further work despite the problems of pending prosecution.

I think Barrett will be offered some form of coaching roll, and think this will be his last season, he's a Ron Martin favourite.

Penney looking at a sentence for hitting a copper, probably a reason for wanting to go back up north. Coughlan as number 2 Barrett as number 3!

He wants to go back to Yorkshire .Or is yet another way of cutting the wages bill . Its a pity he has left not to sure coggers is up to being assistant manager just yet .Still we will see as the season progresses .

Back