• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
Chris Phillips tweeted someone leaving, question is who?

Seems strange given that the whole squad seems to be in Spain and only left yesterday. Would guess Prosser, Hurst or one of those whose contract has expired and yet to be renewed, though Bolger's absence in any pictures leaves a question mark there. CP doesn't state if player or staff so may even be Penney.

EDIT: Forget Bolger!

Putting 2 and 2 together .... Dave Penney? Not in the photo for the trip to Spain.

Edit: Bolger is in Spain, just arrived late for the photo.

My guess is Penney. If so perhaps we could replace him with a attacking coach..... or perhaps we have already replaced him with a goal keeping coach?

My guess is Mooney or Wordsworth.
Not getting on with the food or climate.

"To be honest , I didn't realise Southend was so hot and the food is so much different to what I expected.
Lot's of tapas and paella - thanks but no thanks" !

It's Penney. "Unable to agree a new deal". Coughlan been offered the role as his replacement.

Confirmed as Penney. Unable to agree a new deal and Echo say Coughlan is believed to be his replacement.

Wonder if we will get someone else in as a first team coach if Coughlan is now Brown's assistant.

The other thing to remember is the new "under 21" coach will probably be able to step up and join a Brown/Cougho partnership!

Dave Penney set to leave Southend United

DAVE Penney is set to leave his role as Southend United’s assistant manager, Echosports understands.

More...

May be a shame but I'm not sure.

I guess he would have been on pretty decent wages given his past experience and this now gives opportunity for others to flourish ie Cocko, AB and Paul Smith

Well, as I have said many times the last few seasons, the striker training has been woeful, so maybe now is the time to bring in a proper striker coach. The defensive coaching has been excellent, as you would expect with Brown and Coughlan.

We do seem to have a big back room staff set up but I'm a firm believer, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Maybe they will bring in an experienced striking coach........

For me penny was a big name to have as an assistant and he does have the CV to be a manager not an assistant

Not to bothered really, coughlan has been quite loyal and is learning his trade

For me penny was a big name to have as an assistant and he does have the CV to be a manager not an assistant

Not to bothered really, coughlan has been quite loyal and is learning his trade

I think this is pretty much nail on head.

I cannot imagine Penney wanted to stay as No.2 forever and with Brown signing a new 3 year deal I think that helped make his mind up.

I would expect to see Penney pop up as manager somewhere soon.

As a loyal, experienced and faithful servant to the club Cocko deserves this. Whenever I looked in at training it was always GC who was the most actively involved. I wish him all the best.

Well I think Paul smith has taken some of that coaching budget so someone somewhere is gonna be hit in the pocket, penny is a big loss but do we really need all these coaches ?

Back