• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown set for more contract talks with Gary Deegan

As much as i was a fan of Deegan's combative style of play last season , especially when he 1st came into our team and gave our team a much needed nasty streak , i fear League 1 might be a step too far for him.....

His beard is Premier League , his tackling is Championship level , but his passing is distinctly League 2 .

I think people are overcritical about Deegan's passing ability. I thought he picked out decent passes and was disciplined enough to keep it simple. John White doesn't come in for any stick and he's pretty woeful on the ball, expect for crossing.

With Timlin and Wordworth, I'm not fussed if we have Deegan in the squad as an option to provide some presence, and play simple passes to our more creative and attacking players.

However he's not worth breaking the bank for.

Thanks for last season, but not thanks for this. Dont see that we need him in the squad with the personnel already at the club.

If he is not going to mind sitting on the bench too much, then I would still like to have him at the club.

You never know what injuries we will get in the centre of the park, and against a strong aggressive midfield he maybe a good option to come in.

I think he does still have a place at the club - we know that Mr Brown likes to keep things tight at the back (fnar fnar), and to pass forward from defence, so it may be a case of using Deegan as a defensive anchor in midfield, allowing the likes of Timlin and Leonard more licence to get forward, where they will do more damage. I'd be happy if he signed.

Don't really get why we're still bothering to pursue him if he's being difficult, he isn't that good, he isn't that important and he is very replaceable. If only the powers that be were this bothered about keeping BBBC!

Much as I respect the ferocious animal on his chin, I've kind of moved on from Deegan now. Just don't tell him I said that.

For me, he was always pushing just to get into our team last season, never quite good enough to establish himself as a regular starter. Now that we've stepped up a division, we should be looking to raise the bar right across the squad. I do see that budget constraints mean you need a second-string of dependable players, but while the likes of Bolger, Prosser and Thompson have dramatically improved and are still showing signs of continuous improvement, I'm not sure Deegs is on an upward path.

Don't really get why we're still bothering to pursue him if he's being difficult, he isn't that good, he isn't that important and he is very replaceable. If only the powers that be were this bothered about keeping BBBC!

A little unfair to assume he's being 'difficult'. I'm assuming he's not overly 'expensive' and we're paying him in cowpie, nuts, protein shakes and beard oils. I'd bet the wages Corr has secured are light-years away from what Deegan might be asking us for. We might not decide he's worth it and he might not want to play for what we're offering, but he's got every right to negotiate for what he considers a reasonable wage.

I'd class Deegan as a 'nice to have'. He did a job for us last season and he offers us something different to the other midfielders we have but I'm not sure he'll be as required in League One where the football should be a bit more sophisticated. He's certainly not worth breaking the bank for.

Fair play, despite doing okay for us last season I very much doubt he's hot property and sought after. The only other offers I could see him getting would be from League 2 clubs or teams maybe in Scotland or back home in Ireland? Would have thought he'd be biting our hands off for a new contract and the opportunity to get the chance to continue his career in League 1 for at least one season. But, he's a pro footballer and obviously wants the best deal financially :thumbsup:

Much as I respect the ferocious animal on his chin, I've kind of moved on from Deegan now. Just don't tell him I said that.

For me, he was always pushing just to get into our team last season, never quite good enough to establish himself as a regular starter. Now that we've stepped up a division, we should be looking to raise the bar right across the squad. I do see that budget constraints mean you need a second-string of dependable players, but while the likes of Bolger, Prosser and Thompson have dramatically improved and are still showing signs of continuous improvement, I'm not sure Deegs is on an upward path.

Thats all valid and whilst I do like Deegan I dont see him as a first team starter so as you say should we even bother as we are pretty strong in midfield anyway.

The answer for me is for most players Id say not bother but with Deegan I think we should, and simply because he brings a quality that others don't. As Leonard said in the programme for Wembley, Deegan is someone you want to play with and not against.

I wouldn't be devasted to see him go, but I would be happy to have him in the squad to add bite when needed.

I agree with most of the comments above but it's difficult to say what may come out of the pre-season friendlies - for instance, Deegan might be the perfect counter-balance for Wordsworth and strike up a wonderful relationship.

I can't see Deegan getting any other offers from a Division 3 club so it might just be that the negotiations are all about Deegan's agent learning to swallow his/her pride and accept the wages that are on offer.

Don't understand all of the negative comments about Deegan. We might have a strong midfield, but it's a very attack minded midfield which needs to be balanced. Deegan is completely different to every other player we have and can play the holding role very well. Different formations and tactics throughout the season will mean that we'll quite often need a holding midfielder and Deegan is one of the best I've seen for a long time at this level.

Sergio Busquets and Cesc Fabregas are both exceptional midfielders, but you can't compare the two as they are totally different players and play totally different roles. Deegan for me is a must have, even more so in League One.

As much as i was a fan of Deegan's combative style of play last season , especially when he 1st came into our team and gave our team a much needed nasty streak , i fear League 1 might be a step too far for him.....

His beard is Premier League , his tackling is Championship level , but his passing is distinctly League 2 .

Easily Champions League for me !

Don't understand all of the negative comments about Deegan. We might have a strong midfield, but it's a very attack minded midfield which needs to be balanced. Deegan is completely different to every other player we have and can play the holding role very well. Different formations and tactics throughout the season will mean that we'll quite often need a holding midfielder and Deegan is one of the best I've seen for a long time at this level.

Sergio Busquets and Cesc Fabregas are both exceptional midfielders, but you can't compare the two as they are totally different players and play totally different roles. Deegan for me is a must have, even more so in League One.

Perhaps if Deegan were to lose the beard and wear shorts that more loosely fitted his lower superstructure, then we could make a more reasoned decision on his future with us. Lose the cult Deegs mate, it's confusing the Zone big time.

Perhaps if Deegan were to lose the beard and wear shorts that more loosely fitted his lower superstructure, then we could make a more reasoned decision on his future with us. Lose the cult Deegs mate, it's confusing the Zone big time.

Totally agree! Everyone has this obsession with him because he has a bushy beard. Personally I'm not a fan of this fad and can't wait for it to end and people to realise how stupid they actually look.

Deegan is average at best and is better suited to league two football. He will be found out in league one and in my personal opinion it's just a waste of a slot that could be used elsewhere. We are midfield heavy and could do with losing him to help bring more up top in.

How very dare you

Can see now why negotiations have been difficult ...

CJy81MIW8AAzNLF.jpg

Why does he persist in wearing shorts that would have looked at home in the 80s??? :stunned:

Not fussed, move on.

Back