• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown set for more contract talks with Gary Deegan

Don't listen to the troll. I know pundits who have played for their country who are morons....

You don't have to be a carpenter to appreciate a decent bookcase, or a leading conductor to recognise a good piece of classical music.

The notion that you might not rate a player if you haven't played at a high level is only slightly more insulting than it is ridiculous. I like to think most can appreciate the artistic nature of my avatar without necessarily having worn a Hank bikini themselves.

The notion that you might not rate a player if you haven't played at a high level is only slightly more insulting than it is ridiculous. I like to think most can appreciate the artistic nature of my avatar without necessarily having worn a Hank bikini themselves.

You haven't really denied wearing one though .... :unsure:

If we can get a deal done I hope to see beards sold in the club shop like we did with the Sodje bandanas!

Are you 100% sure that it is the bikini that is the main point of interest in your picture rather than some other element?

Are you 100% sure that it is the bikini that is the main point of interest in your picture rather than some other element?

For me it is the depth of colour and delightful use of light and shade by the photographer...............capped by a seriously developed pair of tits obviously.

Think you mean against Newport.

Great pass.

[video=youtube;yXwIx0PmQPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXwIx0PmQPE[/video]

That's the one! Shrugs 1-2 defenders off the ball also, he does a lot of work that goes unnoticed in my opinion. Would be happy to see him sign on for another year

Interesting about opinions of players re non players etc... someone has played the sport at a high competitive level, or as suggested elsewhere on the thread maybe has been the conductor of an orchestra or Tour de France cyclist, will have opinions valid on completely different parts of the game or discipline. A non-cyclist may find the race itself extremely entertaining but couldn't possibly offer an opinion on the requisite fitness level because they had never experienced it. The orchestra leader can appreciate the skill required in order to produce the end result but someone who has never conducted an orchestra couldn't possibly know the finerys of the job but nonetheless could appreciate it without really knowing what it was.

Similarly with football; the spectator who loves being entertained by football but who has never played the game (to any senior level) will know what was being done was good but without knowing how good; their level of experience doesn't give them the qualities to offer a valid opinion on something like that, whereas someone who has played the game would no doubt be able to appreciate whether the skill involved was good, very good or truly exceptional.

Let's look at Deegan's pass for instance. At first glance, it's a defence splitting pass that seems to take several players out of the game and McLaughlin finishes it nicely. Bloody fantastic.

But look closely again.

Deegan wins the ball mid pitch and get's a slightly lucky knock from the defender which diverts the ball beautifully into his path. He is facing McLaughlin who is in motion and who then takes two steps to his left away from his marker. If McLaughlin continues this movement, then Deegan's has two options; 1) play the ball wide or 2) Drive on towards the area himself.

But McLaughlin then makes it easy for him; he changes direction and accelerates towards the goal, probably calling for the ball as well. The right back is lost as McLaughlin has now got level and then behind him and Deegan, facing McLaughlin, now only has one option; a stab with the outside of the foot inside the full back. There is about 5-6 yards between the full back and right sided centre back who is too far away to do anything. The right back is lost and the weight of the pass is the clever bit. McLaughlin doesn't break stride and scores.

But for a pro footballer, a 15 yard ball with the outside of the foot in between two defenders 5 yards apart isn't actually that hard. Good pass, certainly. Great pass, probably not. Entertaining? Absolutely.

McLaughlin deserves the credit for making the run in the first place. That's the bit we have been missing and that's where the opinions of people who have played the game differ against those who haven't. Both opinions are valid; they are just about different aspects.

As much as i was a fan of Deegan's combative style of play last season , especially when he 1st came into our team and gave our team a much needed nasty streak , i fear League 1 might be a step too far for him.....

His beard is Premier League , his tackling is Championship level , but his passing is distinctly League 2 .

Interesting about opinions of players re non players etc... someone has played the sport at a high competitive level, or as suggested elsewhere on the thread maybe has been the conductor of an orchestra or Tour de France cyclist, will have opinions valid on completely different parts of the game or discipline. A non-cyclist may find the race itself extremely entertaining but couldn't possibly offer an opinion on the requisite fitness level because they had never experienced it. The orchestra leader can appreciate the skill required in order to produce the end result but someone who has never conducted an orchestra couldn't possibly know the finerys of the job but nonetheless could appreciate it without really knowing what it was.

Similarly with football; the spectator who loves being entertained by football but who has never played the game (to any senior level) will know what was being done was good but without knowing how good; their level of experience doesn't give them the qualities to offer a valid opinion on something like that, whereas someone who has played the game would no doubt be able to appreciate whether the skill involved was good, very good or truly exceptional.

Let's look at Deegan's pass for instance. At first glance, it's a defence splitting pass that seems to take several players out of the game and McLaughlin finishes it nicely. Bloody fantastic.

But look closely again.

Deegan wins the ball mid pitch and get's a slightly lucky knock from the defender which diverts the ball beautifully into his path. He is facing McLaughlin who is in motion and who then takes two steps to his left away from his marker. If McLaughlin continues this movement, then Deegan's has two options; 1) play the ball wide or 2) Drive on towards the area himself.

But McLaughlin then makes it easy for him; he changes direction and accelerates towards the goal, probably calling for the ball as well. The right back is lost as McLaughlin has now got level and then behind him and Deegan, facing McLaughlin, now only has one option; a stab with the outside of the foot inside the full back. There is about 5-6 yards between the full back and right sided centre back who is too far away to do anything. The right back is lost and the weight of the pass is the clever bit. McLaughlin doesn't break stride and scores.

But for a pro footballer, a 15 yard ball with the outside of the foot in between two defenders 5 yards apart isn't actually that hard. Good pass, certainly. Great pass, probably not. Entertaining? Absolutely.

McLaughlin deserves the credit for making the run in the first place. That's the bit we have been missing and that's where the opinions of people who have played the game differ against those who haven't. Both opinions are valid; they are just about different aspects.

It's a great pass:

- He's just evaded pressure
- He's just ridden through a half-arsed tackle
- Deegan glances in the direction he wants McLaughlin to make the run. That triggers McLaughlin's run. Deegan looks back when McLaughlin starts the run and plays the pass. It's Deegan who initiates the move, with that glance, not McLaughlin.
- He's running quite fast, in a different direction to McLaughlin
- The ball is bobbling
- It's a high risk/high return pass
- From winning the ball to passing it was all within 2 seconds
- It's weighted perfectly for McLaughlin
- He makes the pass before the defenders spot the run and close out the gap

While you can break it down and say it might be easy/difficult whatever, it was a great assist for a good goal.

Personally I respect so much of what you say FBM, but I think this is yet another example of people being unnecessarily critical and negative wrt Deegan's ability on the ball. He isn't primarily in the team for his assists and attacking passing ability, but he's shown he does have the ability and he has the confidence and creativity to spot it and attempt it.

If it was Timlin, people would be gushing.

Rant over.

While you can break it down and say it might be easy/difficult whatever, it was a great assist for a good goal.

Personally I respect so much of what you say FBM, but I think this is yet another example of people being unnecessarily critical and negative wrt Deegan's ability on the ball. He isn't primarily in the team for his assists and attacking passing ability, but he's shown he does have the ability and he has the confidence and creativity to spot it and attempt it.

It wasn't intended to be critical of Deegan, I like him! As an ex midfielder, I was just offering my opinion. Please note, footballers who weren't midfielders may have different views...
:winking:

It wasn't intended to be critical of Deegan, I like him! As an ex midfielder, I was just offering my opinion. Please note, footballers who weren't midfielders may have different views...
:winking:

haha no worries.

It was the kind of pass that you can pull off during five-a-side on a nice flat surface and not running quickly, but he did that on a bobbly pitch and made it look easy. The ball had to travel a reasonable distance at reasonable speed and he executed perfectly. There have been other times where he's picked out an 'unexpected' pass rather than the simple option and that's shown good vision as well.

It's all relative, which I guess is your point. Messi and Iniesta will make those passes in their sleep - but at L2 level it's a great pass and assist, IMO.

haha no worries.

It was the kind of pass that you can pull off during five-a-side on a nice flat surface and not running quickly, but he did that on a bobbly pitch and made it look easy. The ball had to travel a reasonable distance at reasonable speed and he executed perfectly. There have been other times where he's picked out an 'unexpected' pass rather than the simple option and that's shown good vision as well.

It's all relative, which I guess is your point. Messi and Iniesta will make those passes in their sleep - but at L2 level it's a great pass and assist, IMO.

Yup. Exactly.

I have eaten and enjoyed many pies in my lifetime , but I have no idea how to bake one.
Am I a pie expert ?
You bet I am !

haha no worries.

Like Mike Marsh could do in his sleep :)

At the end of the day, PB wants to have Deegan in his armoury, but not at any cost. By the look of things he will be staying, and if Brown thinks that is good then that's ok by me. This has been an interesting thread so far in that it has evolved into one where some feel you have to appreciate the finer professional football aspects of Deegan to offer an informed opinion on his worth. I will be fascinated to see if that approach persists all the way through the season as it will make post match discussion such fun.

At the end of the day, PB wants to have Deegan in his armoury, but not at any cost. By the look of things he will be staying, and if Brown thinks that is good then that's ok by me. This has been an interesting thread so far in that it has evolved into one where some feel you have to appreciate the finer professional football aspects of Deegan to offer an informed opinion on his worth. I will be fascinated to see if that approach persists all the way through the season as it will make post match discussion such fun.
Exactly this.....................In the perfect squad different players provide different skill sets which are called on when needed. Deegan provides the muscle and I would want to keep him for this. I also wish we still had Mohsni who was more unpredictable but hey, when you need a hand grenade !!!

It genuinely took me by surprise. Anyone who's listened to Michael Owen or Trevor Francis commentating (or suffered Alvin Martin managing) should realise it's complete bobbins.

Back