• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We hold the aces. Can either play hardball now for £1.5m+ or keep him till his contract expires and agree a fee then with the highest bidder or tribunal. Hopefully he will have ano excellent season in L1 adding further to his value anyway. This all assumes that the story is true......................Skeptical !!!
Dear skeptical,
how about this for a story I've just made up;
PB; "Ron , we need some strikers, but they all cost money , or want paying"
RM ; You will have to offload someone first, how about that goalkeeper , we might get a fee for him, Wet Spam have been sniffing round, but somehow we've got to get them to 'up the ante'"
PB; " I know I'll get my mate at hull ( I used to manager there you know, got em into the premier league et al, you might have seen me singing, or on the pitch with the players ) Brucie, to put in a tempting offer, so we can get into a bidding war with Wet Spam"
RM; "good idea Phil, the I can get a £1m to dig some footings, Er I mean let you have some funds to get a striker in on loan, or at a push get an old favourite back, Eastwood, Barnard, or maybe even get Corr back, we might be able to afford him!

We hold the aces. Can either play hardball now for £1.5m+ or keep him till his contract expires and agree a fee then with the highest bidder or tribunal. Hopefully he will have ano excellent season in L1 adding further to his value anyway. This all assumes that the story is true......................Skeptical !!!

Smaller clubs usually get turned over at tribunal.

Clubs of our stature rarely turn down the money it is what it is !,If Dan suffers a dip in form or becomes injured then his price tag will plummet,Ron has the dilemma.

So is everyone assuming he is after Bentley just because he was at the game?

Maybe he is after another keeper on our books, no I don't mean Paul Smith.

People forget that Teddy Smith has played for England and is a huge prospect. If I was a big club and wanted a young keeper to develop for the future it may be him rather than Dan.

After all if I was Bentley and I went to another club I would want 1st team football now, Teddy wouldn't demand that yet.

It's simple.

1 million plus 25% of any sell on and a season long loan back to us.

Extra 250k should he earn promotion to the premier and 250k if he goes on to play for England.

That's the deal the club should want.

So is everyone assuming he is after Bentley just because he was at the game?

Maybe he is after another keeper on our books, no I don't mean Paul Smith.

People forget that Teddy Smith has played for England and is a huge prospect. If I was a big club and wanted a young keeper to develop for the future it may be him rather than Dan.

After all if I was Bentley and I went to another club I would want 1st team football now, Teddy wouldn't demand that yet.

He only watched Bentley, when he was subbed and Ted came on, Steve Bruce left the stadium.

We've managed 4 pages and 55 posts so far (56 with this one) based on a Daily Mail article. I can see this thread pushing the boundaries for most pages/posts unless some element of facts emerge soon. God we're good.

It's not a surprise that he's being linked to bigger clubs but it's absolutely about making sure we get good value. The sell-on clause is absolutely right. That said, Ted doesn't look ready for consistent first team football to me yet. Happy to be wrong though :-)

I suppose the best case scenario for us now would be for Bents to sign a new contract with a release clause in it for say £1m/£1.5m and substantial sell clause. If he doesn't sign a new contract, it becomes a question of how much he is worth to us this season and I would imagine an offer of in excess of £1m +SOC would be enough for us to sell. I wouldn't hold out much hope that a tribunal would give us much as they are weighted in favour of the big clubs!

With regards to selling Dan, I think we would be mental to do so.

£750k would be pointless to accept, especially if it is actually £250k plus £500k add ons.

I would've thought we would get at least this through tribunal if he went for free next season, especially after he has had a blinder in league 1.

If the club have a good season (say top 8 finish), then Dan may well prefer to stay that go to a mid table championship club and not play (I appreciate money is of course a big factor)

I would also say that if he did end up going next summer for a tribunal decided fee, then Ted would be another year along in his development and in a better position to take Dan's place.

I would really say that to think of selling now, it would be stupid to sell for anything less than £2m - as you would have to consider it far more likely that we would be relegated without Dan too.

Do we actually know that he is refusing to sign a contract?

Dan seems pretty level headed to me and not the type of person to hold the club to ransom.

Back