• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown attempting to make Southend sexier than Chicago to sign Noel Hunt

Yet you wanted us to sign Fagan last season, the exact same type of player as the one you wish we didn't sign. You are bloody hilarious!

You are comical,

Fagan would have been far cheaper and played wide,as you said he played 3 games and now is out for ages!He was also a year younger when I suggested he should be signed.

Hunt has already had injury problems,December he will be 33 and will almost certainly be the highest salaried player,Is he worth chucking the kitchen sink at,tell us Chappie.

How do you know Fagan would have been cheaper? How do you know we are going to break the bank for hunt? If he's been on £25k a week for a few years then maybe the difference between £2k and £3k doesn't make any odds to him and he just wants another year or two as a footballer?

I very much doubt we will put the club in any kind of financial danger.

I'm sure hunt will be our top earner but the days of players getting 6k per week are long gone.

I reckon 2k plus bonus for appearance and winning and goalscoring etc.

Compared to the 10k+ he was on at Ipswich it's pocket change.

How do you know Fagan would have been cheaper? How do you know we are going to break the bank for hunt? If he's been on £25k a week for a few years then maybe the difference between £2k and £3k doesn't make any odds to him and he just wants another year or two as a footballer?

If it was that simple then Hunt would have signed weeks ago,according to you he might not care about a massive drop in salary so why hasn't he signed already ?

I will tell you,

These guys are not cheap and Phil has offered him x which Hunt's agent has probably wet himself after giggling so much,Hunt's agent then circulates his name to every club and see who has any interest.

Eastwood and Barney(second time) no other club wanted them.
Freedman wanted Leeds to pay him top money which they refused,he ended up here because no other club wanted him.
Harris insisted on a lengthy deal despite his injury problems,in fairness to him he was a gentleman in resigning.

Its crazy stuff from a club who cannot keep their tax affairs up to date.

He didn't sign weeks ago as he was PROBABLY waiting to see what other offers he may have got. I say probably as I don't know, and nor do you.

As it is, Chicago Fire seem to have pulled out and he has us or retirement. Not really a strong bargaining position to make us break the bank

I think it's more a case of hunt has options abroad and he could play for a lot more money or does he want to stay in England.

Also hunt has spent the last however long playing a higher level than league 1 so may have wanted to stay at that level as long as he could given that he is a professional footballer.

I think it's more a case of hunt has options abroad and he could play for a lot more money or does he want to stay in England.

Also hunt has spent the last however long playing a higher level than league 1 so may have wanted to stay at that level as long as he could given that he is a professional footballer.

Hunt played 366 minutes last season !,most chairman appear to be swerving Noel as he is not value for the package,still that sort of thing never stopped Ron before:winking:

Hunt played 366 minutes last season !,most chairman appear to be swerving Noel as he is not value for the package,still that sort of thing never stopped Ron before:winking:

If we can get Barry Corr fit and playing for as long as he did, then I'm confident we'll get Hunt the same. We have a tremendous backroom team and the emphasis is on fitness. He will be a fantastic signing if we land him. A real touch of quality that we haven't seen for years.

If we can get Barry Corr fit and playing for as long as he did, then I'm confident we'll get Hunt the same. We have a tremendous backroom team and the emphasis is on fitness. He will be a fantastic signing if we land him. A real touch of quality that we haven't seen for years.

Since August 2009,

Noel has made 178 appearances scoring 29 with 4 of those goals against lower league opponents in cup games,so goal shy us want a player who has managed 25 league goals in the last 6 years.

Since August 2009,

Noel has made 178 appearances scoring 29 with 4 of those goals against lower league opponents in cup games,so goal shy us want a player who has managed 25 league goals in the last 6 years.

Have faith. He - and we - will be fine.

Since August 2009,

Its not all about the goals, hunt has never been prolific, it is what he can bring to the team as a whole. Goater only scored 10 goals I think but offered so much more. Hunt could be similar.

He does not look that fit, could take him months and months to get up to a decent level. Risk

He does not look that fit, could take him months and months to get up to a decent level. Risk

When did you last see him then? He was fit enough to be involved towards the end of last season at Ipswich and has been training with them pre season, appears fit enough to me.

Some people need to recognise that we are a lower league club. Hunt is a quality player, just ask Ipswich fans (and judging by Twitter many wanted him to stay and be part of their Championship promotion challenge). If there wasn't an element of risk then we wouldn't be in with a shout of pulling it off as Hunt would be attracting the interest of numerous clubs a lot higher in stature than Southend United. There will always be an element of risk for clubs our size, we're not Man United. Hunt has never been all about goals, he brings more to the table than that. And those questioning his goal record have failed to mention that NH has scored all of his career goals playing for clubs in higher divisions than L1. Barry Corr had a dreadful goalscoring record before he signed for us in L2 and he became a cult hero here and hit the net regularly.

I sincerely hope Brown can get this deal over the line, he'd be a top signing at this level.

Having worked in Chicago, with it's huge temperature swing in a year, a wet windy Southend would be a my preferred option 17f that's about -8c is a bit nippy in Jan, and well over 80f in the summer. You do still use imperial in the UK?

Mind you it's 92f here at the moment

Back