• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I want 4 signings, 16 outfield players isn't enough

You thought wrong, clueless as usual.

Fred signed 3 weeks after his debut,so even though loaned initially I think it was down to the 2 chairman haggling over the price,he was never going to be a long term loan.

Are you angry most of the time or all of the time?

Not every transfer target comes off. That goes for those able to spend £80m+ down to those getting free agents.

You mean it isn't all down to Ron and Phil and other clubs sometimes struggle to get their targets in? I just wish we jumped in and signed those players no one else wanted!

Fred signed 3 weeks after his debut,so even though loaned initially I think it was down to the 2 chairman haggling over the price,he was never going to be a long term loan.

Are you angry most of the time or all of the time?

Now you have inside info on the negotiations, even though you didn't know he wasn't signed straight away? Clueless as per

Every season is the same though,loan players in taking up pitch time and rarely delivering the goods.

Whilst I understand your point and to a certain extent I agree with you "cough , cough" ( sorry can't believe I typed those words and hope mud doesn't stick ! ) , but in all honesty - what are the alternatives for a club like ours and many more.
Please answer without using the words 'Jason' or 'Williams'

Now you have inside info on the negotiations, even though you didn't know he wasn't signed straight away? Clueless as per

To be fair to mrsblue I can see her point re Freddy. It was a permanent signing in all but name, the loan was just to get him playing whilst Ron and his counterpart discussed the size of the fee.

To be fair to mrsblue I can see her point re Freddy. It was a permanent signing in all but name, the loan was just to get him playing whilst Ron and his counterpart discussed the size of the fee.

It's catching.................

Whilst I understand your point and to a certain extent I agree with you "cough , cough" ( sorry can't believe I typed those words and hope mud doesn't stick ! ) , but in all honesty - what are the alternatives for a club like ours and many more.
Please answer without using the words 'Jason' or 'Williams'

For starters stop looking at expensive free agents such as Hunt,if we cannot afford any decent forwards then fair play,but we have to steer away from signing loan guys who are here for months.Catch 22 I know.

Thanks Mr Napster,Now where's Berk side

I think I must be going mad. But I'm sure some posters think it's a free-for-all on her - and I know mrsblue can stand up for herself, but there has to be some balance...

It's ok I can handle them,but thanks anyway:smile:

For starters stop looking at expensive free agents such as Hunt,if we cannot afford any decent forwards then fair play,but we have to steer away from signing loan guys who are here for months.Catch 22 I know.

You say Noel Hunt would be expensive, how do you know that?

Phil Brown and Noel Hunt (And agents, chief executives etc) have had a number of meetings now. IF Hunt was demanding unreasonable figures, Phil wouldn't have had more meetings.

I don't think Hunt signing or not will be down to us not being able to afford him. He has a straight choice between us and Chicago. Both of us can afford his wages, otherwise we both wouldn't still be discussing it, it will be down to the players choice.

Phil Brown and Noel Hunt (And agents, chief executives etc) have had a number of meetings now. IF Hunt was demanding unreasonable figures, Phil wouldn't have had more meetings.

I don't think Hunt signing or not will be down to us not being able to afford him. He has a straight choice between us and Chicago. Both of us can afford his wages, otherwise we both wouldn't still be discussing it, it will be down to the players choice.

Just my guess,

Hunt will want at least 2 year's on around 4k per week,he will also want appearance money ,plus other bonuses such as win and draw and possible even per point.

If we had matched his demands,he would have signed by now simply because he could possibly still play in the USA when his 35.

Valid point. He's only an expensive signing if we offer those terms. He's as expensive as we want to make him.

Just my guess,

Hunt will want at least 2 year's on around 4k per week,he will also want appearance money ,plus other bonuses such as win and draw and possible even per point.

If we had matched his demands,he would have signed by now simply because he could possibly still play in the USA when his 35.

With the greatest of respect you have no idea what Hunt is demanding, none of us do. To say that is a total stab in the dark, different players demand different deals. I do agree he is likely to want at least two years though which is completely understandable on his part.

With the greatest of respect you have no idea what Hunt is demanding, none of us do. To say that is a total stab in the dark, different players demand different deals. I do agree he is likely to want at least two years though which is completely understandable on his part.

True i have no idea of his demands,but he is accustomed to a certain lifestyle income and he like any of us will want to continue in that vein for as long as possible IMO.

Leaving aside the tit-for-tat point scoring for a minute ...... what position requirements are there for the 4 signings that Browny wants?

At least 2 strikers we know but I presume another defender? Not sure if the Notts Forest winger chap would be included in the four or is that all finished now?

If so, then perhaps it is 3 forwards and a defender that is on his shopping list.

None of us will know what's actually in his mind, although 2/3 forwards does seem the obvious choice. I think the uncertainty will go on for a while yet, especially over Pigott. Hunt is probably a dead end now. McLaughlin has also gone very quite, so again it now looks unlikely, but you never know.

The telling part of his statement is that 16 is not enough and we will struggle unless we get more people. That convinces me that he working as hard as he can, player availability and finances allowing.

Just my guess,

But that is completely a guess, we don't know the figures being offered/demanded.

The reason this is taking a while is because it's a massive decision for Hunt. Now, I don't know (And I'm not going to guess) if he has a wife/girlfriend/fiancé or even kids that he would have to discuss any potential move with. Also, he would have to up route his entire life if he moved to America so that isn't a decision to be taken lightly.

He was at Ipswich last season, and if he was living/renting around that area then he wouldn't have to relocate.

He has lots to weigh up, and it's not a case of just us or Chicago, it's a case of potential moving to another country, up routing family, leaving friends behind etc.

If it was simply a case of money and us not being able to afford him, we wouldn't be discussing it still.

True i have no idea of his demands,but he is accustomed to a certain lifestyle income and he like any of us will want to continue in that vein for as long as possible IMO.

You can look at it two ways, from what I hear (and again I don't know how true this is) Hunt was on a whopping £25k per week at Leeds. Whatever way you look at it he'd be on a mere fraction of that at Roots Hall. If this was a problem you could understand it, he'll know he needs to accept less but it may be a question of how much lower he would accept. By flipping it on its head though you could look at it another way and think that with those astronomical wages at Leeds (and most probably Reading as well) at this stage of his career money may not be as important a factor as it once was, he's got to be extremely comfortable financially. That doesn't mean he'll accept any old contract, but it may be that other factors affect his decision rather than just Chicago (probably) offering a higher wage than Southend.

We'll see.

Back