• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Deegan still very close to signing and others to follow

I've liked your comment for the first bit, not the second. He didn't get rid of Chelsea's FA youth cup winning captain, that was the manager! Clifford certainly didn't go because Deegan was better!

PB stated that Deegan's tenacity in training sessions forced his hand with Clifford as he wasn't able to cope with Deegan. Both players have their merits but neither is a first choice so it's immaterial which one is better.

As I have said before, seems to think he is better than he is..... How many other clubs are looks to sign him.....mmmmm I say 0.

As I have said before, seems to think he is better than he is..... How many other clubs are looks to sign him.....mmmmm I say 0.

I agree. Only an average league two player in my opinion. There was a reason why we had him on a month to month contract for most of last season. If he's the main dm player next year im worried. Really am. He can clear off if he wants, oh wait no where for him to go!:nope:

As others have rightly inferred - it isn't just his contributions on the pitch which we should consider. Appears to be a great character to have around the camp, and never lets us down when called upon. Adds a bit of bite to a relatively tame midfield (in terms of aggression). I'd be disappointed to see him leave.

SK - hurry up and get off your holidays, we've got a squad to put together and the season starts in just over a week!

Go away Deegan, average player at best...

Really he has been very good this pre season and has put timlin to shame. He is also above the likes of leonard and Atkinson for me on form.

We need a player like him when we are away from home up north on a cold Tuesday night. All teams should have the hard man type midfielder to compliment the others and there is more to deegans game than that.

We need a player like him when we are away from home up north on a cold Tuesday night. All teams should have the hard man type midfielder to compliment the others and there is more to deegans game than that.

Brown can do that from the bench !

Really he has been very good this pre season and has put timlin to shame. He is also above the likes of leonard and Atkinson for me on form.

Absolutely 100% this. I was about to post my own two cents on Deegan and then realised you'd already pretty much said what I wanted to say.

Lots of people saying we should get rid and can get better midfielders, but it's not as simple as replacing a midfielder with another midfielder. If Chelsea sold Matic and Mikel and bought David Silva and Alexis Sanchez, they've arguably replaced two midfielders with two better midfielders. Happy days, although I wouldn't fancy seeing Silva and Sanchez breaking up play and protecting the back four.

Like him or not, having Deegan in the squad gives us a licence to play a different system if we wish. Without him our options will be restricted. He might not have the skill of Jack Payne or score the goals that Michael Timlin does, but he plays an unappreciated and unglamorous role brilliantly.

Like him or not, having Deegan in the squad gives us a licence to play a different system if we wish. Without him our options will be restricted. He might not have the skill of Jack Payne or score the goals that Michael Timlin does, but he plays an unappreciated and unglamorous role brilliantly.

All true. So why are we (the club, Deegan and his agent) still pratting around over contracts? We all want to do this or we don't.

Absolutely 100% this. I was about to post my own two cents on Deegan and then realised you'd already pretty much said what I wanted to say.

Lots of people saying we should get rid and can get better midfielders, but it's not as simple as replacing a midfielder with another midfielder. If Chelsea sold Matic and Mikel and bought David Silva and Alexis Sanchez, they've arguably replaced two midfielders with two better midfielders. Happy days, although I wouldn't fancy seeing Silva and Sanchez breaking up play and protecting the back four.

I agree that he does do an important role and without him in some games we would have struggled last season. But they are a very few number, and i just think that there is someone better out there that is better at this role than him.

All true. So why are we (the club, Deegan and his agent) still pratting around over contracts? We all want to do this or we don't.

From reading between the lines it appears that we're keen, Deegan is keen, but his agent is an absolute bloody nightmare to say the least.

Guys, it's not Gary Deegan holding up the contract. They are waiting for SK to get back from holiday as he drafts up the contract for Deegan to sign. So you can't blame Gary Deegan as he's more or less waiting with pen in hand.

I agree that he does do an important role and without him in some games we would have struggled last season. But they are a very few number, and i just think that there is someone better out there that is better at this role than him.

Appreciate where you're coming from, but we're under no obligation to keep Deegan as he's out of contract and can be sent on his way. If the scouts or Brown had identified someone better who is available and on similar wages, we would have gone after them. The fact we haven't suggests there isn't anyone better out there at the moment.

Appreciate where you're coming from, but we're under no obligation to keep Deegan as he's out of contract and can be sent on his way. If the scouts or Brown had identified someone better who is available and on similar wages, we would have gone after them. The fact we haven't suggests there isn't anyone better out there who would come to us at the moment.

Edited for accuracy :'(

On the basis that our only Tuesday night away games are Crewe in September (won't be that that cold), Chesterfield in October (probably still not that cold) and Oldham in November (cold) it sounds like he might be a luxury....

Guys, it's not Gary Deegan holding up the contract. They are waiting for SK to get back from holiday as he drafts up the contract for Deegan to sign. So you can't blame Gary Deegan as he's more or less waiting with pen in hand.[/Q

If SK was really the only one who can prepare / approve contracts I don't believe he would be away on holiday at such a crucial time. Fact is all businesses cope with absence of key employes by delegating to other staff and I'm sure he would have done the same . And I would be very surprised if he wasn't being kept fully up to date with the status of events at the club. There are too many deals pending paperwork (Bentley, Coughlan, Deegan ) to name just three, I think it's more likely to be a financial reason perhaps, deals are on hold till new financial year which I. Think I read starts on 1st August ?

Guys, it's not Gary Deegan holding up the contract. They are waiting for SK to get back from holiday as he drafts up the contract for Deegan to sign. So you can't blame Gary Deegan as he's more or less waiting with pen in hand.[/Q

If SK was really the only one who can prepare / approve contracts I don't believe he would be away on holiday at such a crucial time. Fact is all businesses cope with absence of key employes by delegating to other staff and I'm sure he would have done the same . And I would be very surprised if he wasn't being kept fully up to date with the status of events at the club. There are too many deals pending paperwork (Bentley, Coughlan, Deegan ) to name just three, I think it's more likely to be a financial reason perhaps, deals are on hold till new financial year which I. Think I read starts on 1st August ?

I'm just telling you the latest from Phil Brown...........“I’m waiting on Steve Kavanagh to come back from his summer break and hopefully when he does the paper can be drafted up for Gary Deegan to sign.'' ..............Don't shoot the messenger.

Perhaps that should be edited to 2nd summer break in the busiest time of the year for someone in his role. It may not prove critical this time, as I doubt there is a queue to sign him, but the comments would suggest Phil Brown is trying to bring it to peoples attention as to what kind of situation he's having to work within. This is the equivent of the ticket office staff taking a couple of weeks off around Christmas with a potential sell out boxing day game to sell.

And in the comments on Noel Hunt, PB says that Ron is on the case. Maybe, for urgent items there is cover, but Deegan renewing his contract is a shoe in?

Back