• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I opened this thread when i read on the index page "can Brown emulate Tilson and Mrs Blue"
now i do not know Mrs Blue but why would Brown want to emulate her? :winking:

We will be lucky to get halfway up this league. There are a lot of very decent teams in div 1, if we stay in this league for me that will be enough.

This is true but as the scum up the A12 proved on the last day of the season against PNE anyone can beat anyone on the day - and having watched that match on the tele the scum were by no means fortunate.

Not sure I'd want to, isn't that how we got saddled with ridiculously high wages? Will be happy with a top half finish.

Me too - and a good point but we seem to be doing quite nicely at strengthening the squad at the moment and I would like to think that this has happened without resorting to silly wage offers.

I feel the Tilson 2nd promotion was fortunate , due to the relative strength of the Division at that time, sure we had a good team , but the league was weak, we often mention how unlucky we were not to get promoted with 83 , but that year we won the league with only 82, the lowest League 1 winning total in the last 20 years , and the 2nd lowest Automatic promotion points total in those 20 years (the others were Col U , who were behind us with 79 that year and Forest (2008) and Stockport in 96 with 82 points.

Webbs back to backs were imho a greater achievement, particulatlyas the team had the basis to stay in the 2nd tier

I've never got this argument... surely a low points total for the winning sides suggests a high standard, competitive division?

The SPL isn't a high quality league on the back of the points total that Celtic earn every year.

Last edited:
More a question of, how would people perceive Brown compared to Tilson if there were back to back promotions?

Tilley still seems to be regarded as a legend by some but I have a feeling that if Brown achieved the same things as Tilly he still wouldn't receive that same legendry status that Tilly has/once had.

There would still be a lot of Brown haters out there even if we miraculously achieved promotion.

So I say again, would Brown go down in history like Tilson?

More a question of, how would people perceive Brown compared to Tilson if there were back to back promotions?

Tilley still seems to be regarded as a legend by some but I have a feeling that if Brown achieved the same things as Tilly he still wouldn't receive that same legendry status that Tilly has/once had.

There would still be a lot of Brown haters out there even if we miraculously achieved promotion.

So I say again, would Brown go down in history like Tilson?

I think even the biggest Brown haters would be turned if he got promotion this year. Staying up should be our main target this season. If we acheieve anything around the playoffs I would be delighted.

Forget about big name teams- Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and other prove it guarantees nothing- whereas Bournemouth highlight the importance of have a good system in place, building a team unit (the team being greater than the sum of its parts) and having clear direction.We have good players and if we can add the likes of Hunt, McLaughlin, Pigott & couple more good players without losing anyone then I would say why not a chance of the playoffs (and from there anything can happen)

I think Bournemouth highlight the importance of being bankrolled by a Russian billionaire.

I cannot see us getting promoted this season although I would be delighted if we did obviously. For me its all about being in league 1 again next season. I do not want to be in league 2 ever again, very very very hard to get out off.

I cannot see us getting promoted this season although I would be delighted if we did obviously. For me its all about being in league 1 again next season. I do not want to be in league 2 ever again, very very very hard to get out off.

And very very very very very depressing :'(

I'd love promotion (not sure how any genuine Southend fan would favour consolidation over the opportunity to play in the Championship once more), but, that said, I'd much rather see us achieve promotion in a new stadium, with the proper infrastructure in place to enable us to capitalise both on and off the pitch. I'm convinced however that we won't realise that dream (stadium) as long as Martin stays at the helm.

Back