• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Historically it has been very difficult for most teams to have a successful league run and a long cup run. My priority for us this season is to avoid relegation. A cup run is not going to help that aim. Wembley was special, winning at Wembley very special, but to me (and i fully appreciate and refuse to be rude to or criticise others who may have a different view) the JPT is a nothing trophy. For Southend realistically a good fa cup run would be getting to 5th round. However fa cup is still a good potential money spinner with decent payments for progressing and potential tv/radio income.

The JPT will be a damaging distraction, my memory is not great, but I recall on at least a couple of occasions we have lost good players (Timlin was one?) through getting injured in JPT ties and the year we got to the jpt final we missed out on the play offs.

As I say each to their own, but not for me.

Since you mention timlin, would you rather we had sold him for*£300000 and no orient game and no Wembley?

.....and in the 92 Club I go. Whooo hooo.......

Congratulations on the 92 & bagging them all; BUT finishing at Creepy Crawley & their non league standard ground is NOT a BIG finish. I am saving either Old Trafford or Anfield for that role (unless we get a FA Cup bonanza.)

Since you mention timlin, would you rather we had sold him for*£300000 and no orient game and no Wembley?

Think you are missing my point (either deliberately or unintentionally - I'll leave that to you to decide!). I'm not aware that we were looking to sell him before the Orient game, but as I said my memory is not great. I'll ask a question back, would you have rather had our unsuccessful Wembley final against Crewe or would you have preferred to have gone up that season? I'm not sure where the £300k comes from, but how much would a season in League 1 compare financially compared to staying in League 2? Especially that season in League 1 there was not the huge number of Northern teams that there are this season, thus larger away following.

Anyway I'm not out criticise anyone's enjoyment of the JPT, just because its not for me, I just have an aversion to League two and I want our trajectory to be upwards rather than down!

Bristol City won it last year and went up. I'd take that but if it's a choice between JPT and league one then i'd take the league but i'm happy to leave it to the manager's decision whether our squad can cope with both

I'm sorry i just cant see how repeatedly getting to the home of football can be affected by the law of diminishing returns!

Of course the FA cup or the playoffs or the Champions league would be better but i'm more than happy to take all we can get.

Too bloody right,any final at Wembley is important,

Think you are missing my point (either deliberately or unintentionally - I'll leave that to you to decide!). I'm not aware that we were looking to sell him before the Orient game, but as I said my memory is not great. I'll ask a question back, would you have rather had our unsuccessful Wembley final against Crewe or would you have preferred to have gone up that season? I'm not sure where the £300k comes from, but how much would a season in League 1 compare financially compared to staying in League 2? Especially that season in League 1 there was not the huge number of Northern teams that there are this season, thus larger away following.

Anyway I'm not out criticise anyone's enjoyment of the JPT, just because its not for me, I just have an aversion to League two and I want our trajectory to be upwards rather than down!

I am not missing your point at all - I am simply trying to balance it by giving an analogy. You are right there were no bids made for Timlin, however you mentioned loosing Timlin, but didn't mention the £300,000+ we made from the JPT (Rons figures http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21532577
) . So another way of looking at that is 'would you have been happy with Timlin being sold for £300,000 with us then buying him back 6 months later for no fee? I think most people would have taken that deal . Did the JPT cost us promotion?- people can argue that all day long and give examples of other teams that back up both sides of the argument- but the truth is we will never know

I hope that is clearer

But it is a completely and utterly pointless competition.

In my opinion, it's a competition where teams of League One and League Two can compete to win silverware. It's a great opportunity for clubs like ourselves to get to Wembley stadium and watch their team compete in a Cup Final and experience Wembley. It also can be good for finances as well, I believe the Wembley trip vs Crewe in the JPT earned us a fair amount (but don't quote me on that!). What makes it pointless, in your eyes?

We took loads to Wembley against the Alex - but virtually nobody got into the game itself.

We took loads to Wembley because it's not often you see a lower league team like Southend playing at Wembley Stadium, competing for a chance to win a trophy. Plus, it was our 1st ever visit as a football club, to Wembley Stadium as well.

There was no atmosphere. Why?? Because it was a day out and nobody really had any passion for the stupid trophy itself.

That's untrue - everyone I spoke to in the buildup to Wembley was buzzing about seeing their team play at such an amazing stadium such as Wembley, the atmosphere on the day wasn't helped as we conceded very early on if I remember rightly. I guess that since the queues at the ticket office when the tickets went on sale were out of the ticket office door and sales surpassed 30,000, everyone wasn't very interested in reaching the final of a "pointless competition" then..... :facepalm:

Wembley should be saved for when it means soooo much. May 23rd meant soooo much. The game against Crewe Alex - meant absolutely nothing whatsoever.

To an extent, I agree with this as in recent years teams reaching the FA Cup Semi Finals have played at Wembley (which I think is wrong but that's another story), however I disagree with pretty much the rest. Do cup finals not mean anything anymore? Should the chance of a lower league club bringing home silverware to celebrate the successes of their football club NOT be showcased at Wembley? To a lower league club, that means everything - if it didn't we wouldn't of had 30,000+ fans at Wembley watching us! Watching your team winning any kind of silverware, whether it be a play-offs trophy or a JPT trophy, is an incredible feeling and it is something that is likely to not happen often at our club.

I for one, hope that we do go on a cup run, as I think we've got a squad who are more than capable of doing well in the JPT and League this year. It also can boost our finances a little also, especially if we manage to get to the final again!

I would have thought that this seasons competition favours us because the Southern section is largely League 2 teams whereas the Northern Section is mainly League 1 teams, so we must have a reasonable chance of making it to Piggott Way again.

In my opinion, it's a competition where teams of League One and League Two can compete to win silverware. It's a great opportunity for clubs like ourselves to get to Wembley stadium and watch their team compete in a Cup Final and experience Wembley. It also can be good for finances as well, I believe the Wembley trip vs Crewe in the JPT earned us a fair amount (but don't quote me on that!). What makes it pointless, in your eyes?

We took loads to Wembley because it's not often you see a lower league team like Southend playing at Wembley Stadium, competing for a chance to win a trophy. Plus, it was our 1st ever visit as a football club, to Wembley Stadium as well.

That's untrue - everyone I spoke to in the buildup to Wembley was buzzing about seeing their team play at such an amazing stadium such as Wembley, the atmosphere on the day wasn't helped as we conceded very early on if I remember rightly. I guess that since the queues at the ticket office when the tickets went on sale were out of the ticket office door and sales surpassed 30,000, everyone wasn't very interested in reaching the final of a "pointless competition" then..... :facepalm:

To an extent, I agree with this as in recent years teams reaching the FA Cup Semi Finals have played at Wembley (which I think is wrong but that's another story), however I disagree with pretty much the rest. Do cup finals not mean anything anymore? Should the chance of a lower league club bringing home silverware to celebrate the successes of their football club NOT be showcased at Wembley? To a lower league club, that means everything - if it didn't we wouldn't of had 30,000+ fans at Wembley watching us! Watching your team winning any kind of silverware, whether it be a play-offs trophy or a JPT trophy, is an incredible feeling and it is something that is likely to not happen often at our club.

I for one, hope that we do go on a cup run, as I think we've got a squad who are more than capable of doing well in the JPT and League this year. It also can boost our finances a little also, especially if we manage to get to the final again!

Exactly, people were buzzing about playing at Wembley, not about being in the JPT Final. Put it another way, if the JPT final was played at Brisbane Road would anyone go ?

Pre-Pigott, I think the most animated I've been at a Blues match (on par with Clarke's equaliser at Chelsea) was when the final whistle sounded at Roots Hall after we had defeated the Farmers to get to the blah blah blah final. Granted it was at the Millenium but it did mean that we had reached some kind of final at last, SUFC were significant for a minute or two etc etc....

Exactly, people were buzzing about playing at Wembley, not about being in the JPT Final. Put it another way, if the JPT final was played at Brisbane Road would anyone go ?

Wrong example i'd say,try Old Trafford or the Emirates and yes people would still pile in don't you think?

Bristol City won it last year and went up. I'd take that but if it's a choice between JPT and league one then i'd take the league but i'm happy to leave it to the manager's decision whether our squad can cope with both

It's never a choice unless we choose NOT to try and win it. Players should - and do - want to win every game they play in. Good teams have shown they can win more than one trophy. It would raise the profile of the club and introduce money into the coffers. I love the JPT personally, games are cheaper and we stand a realistic chance of doing well.

Wrong example i'd say,try Old Trafford or the Emirates and yes people would still pile in don't you think?
How many do you think we would take to a JPT final at Old Trafford. Probably 10,000. Emirates 15,000 and Wembley 25,000.
Crewe struggled to take 10,000 to Wembley against us, if it was at Emirates they wouldn't even take half that.

I live in Stratford so I'd pop along.:smile:

Back