• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IMO Bentley is a better all-round 'keeper than Royce ever was. Bentley commands his area more, and has a much greater presence. Not only that, but Bentley's distribution is light years ahead of Royce's, which these days is far more important than it was in Royce's day.

The only area where I would say Royce is better is his actual shot stopping. In that area Royce was superb.

Royce took us to flirting with the play offs in the second tier. Bentley looked good in the fourth tier.

The only thing Bentley has over Royce today, IMO, is distribution. Royce wasn't as tall but was ok at commanding his area, especially considering some of the numpties he had playing at centre half.

Royce took us to flirting with the play offs in the second tier. Bentley looked good in the fourth tier.

The only thing Bentley has over Royce today, IMO, is distribution. Royce wasn't as tall but was ok at commanding his area, especially considering some of the numpties he had playing at centre half.

I agree that Royce played at a higher level, but I don't really think that makes a lot of difference to a lot of things for goalkeepers. It doesn't matter what level you play at, you can still command your area, for example. You even said it yourself, Royce was ok at commanding his area. Dan is brilliant at commanding his area. He never shuts up. He has a presence about him that most goalkeepers, including Royce, simply don't/didn't have. Height has very little to do with it. Commanding your area is all about being vocal, and keeping the defence organised. Even when I played kids Sunday league we were told that the goalkeeper is the captain of his area, and even the captain does what the keeper says. Dan simply commands his back four, and his area in a way that is beyond his years. That has come with experience. I guess that is where he has an advantage over Royce: Royce played second fiddle to Sammy for a fair few years, and didn't gain that experience at such a young age.

The one area where Royce was better was at shot stopping (IMO) and that is where the different level has an impact. Better players hit the ball harder, and more accurately. Dan isn't experienced at dealing with better quality strikers, but I don't doubt that given that exposure he will learn.

Southend United reject Queens Park Rangers' £1.25 million bid for Daniel Bentley

QUEENS Park Rangers have seen an improved offer of £1.25 million for Southend United goalkeeper Daniel Bentley turned down by the Shrimpers, Echosport understands.

More...

You guys are not only trying to compare two keepers but comparing different era's. It's impossible to do so. Some might say the division 2 of Royce's era is the equivalent to our current league. There are a lot of quality players in league one now. I mean we have signed an ex prem player.
It's so difficult to compare, look at how quality the championship is now, most of them teams could of played old div one in terms of quality.

All you can say about Dan is that he can get better and he doesn't have many weaknesses as it is!

Personally I think we should be careful not to be too greedy given his contract situation. A bid of £1.4m plus add-ons should be accepted IMHO.

How important is Bentley to QPR if they have also had a similar bid accepted for Smithies?

Bentley should take this into consideration also. If they really rate him then they would focus their efforts on him. He is 3 years older than Bently and I think that if Bentley was to sign he would not be assured a starting position.

Maybe this is why we have rejected the bid. The number of appearances that would trigger cash could be a long time coming and something that we would have to wait more time for.

If the upfront value is not large enough we are right to reject. Don't forget that QPR's first offer was less than Hulls.

This is starting to feel like a game of who blinks first. I hope we don't end up with very little out of this saga.

I think that now QPR have called our bluff and signed Smithies, we can forget about Dan going there. Somewhere else maybe but otherwise he's ours again until at least January.

What we don't need happening is morons in the East stand shouting out to Bentley reminding him he is a Southend player and then using the C-bomb during play, at half time and full time to try and get across their point.

When other fans in the block tell them to shut up, they get offered the chance to go out side and sort it out. Morons

On Bentleys move, i don't think he would want to go and sit on the bench watching football. He still might go to QPR but get a season loan back to us (fingers crossed) Then we can take the money, strengthen the squad and move on.

Personally think Paul sansome was better than Royce. That said we had the pair of them at the club at the same time and we're very blessed at that point. If I were PB I'd be working hard on getting Ted Smith a good contract and down the gym. Dan Bentley will not be with us much longer...

Q.P.R recently sold there keeper Alex Mccarthy to palace for 3.3 million, so surely thats the going rate for a young goal keeper. Surely any think below 2 million for our keeper is just taking the MICK.

Q.P.R recently sold there keeper Alex Mccarthy to palace for 3.3 million, so surely thats the going rate for a young goal keeper. Surely any think below 2 million for our keeper is just taking the MICK.

I would agree under normal circumstances but don't forget DB has just one year left on his deal. At a tribunal we'd probably be looking at substantially less than £1.25m plus a small sell-on (whereas we may be able to negotiate 20%+ if we sell now). I just hope we don't live to regret it if Dan stays til January or later. If QPR have offered peanuts up front then I'm right behind the decision to reject, if the initial payment is significant though then I'm surprised we haven't accepted. It's a lot of money to a club in L1 with the potential of much more to come when Bentley is re-sold.

No thats the going rate for a player who has played in the Championship and Premiership going to a Premiership side.

Bentley has only played two games in League One.

Alex Smithies looking like he will go for 1.5 million, and he has two years Championship experience.

Sounds very much like Bentley wont be going to QPR

Smithies was left out of the side to face Blackburn Rovers on Saturday amid interest from another club and Powell explained that matter is progressing:

“A deal has been agreed in principle, so Alex wasn’t here today; he is in negotiations with the other club. This transfer has happened pretty quickly after first contact was made on Friday and once the bid was sorted, he has gone down to speak about it.

Read more at http://www.htafc.com/news/article/h...-butterfield-2626749.aspx#KcJeMV5lE0LhS0Gi.99

Sounds very much like Bentley wont be going to QPR

Smithies was left out of the side to face Blackburn Rovers on Saturday amid interest from another club and Powell explained that matter is progressing:

“A deal has been agreed in principle, so Alex wasn’t here today; he is in negotiations with the other club. This transfer has happened pretty quickly after first contact was made on Friday and once the bid was sorted, he has gone down to speak about it.

Read more at http://www.htafc.com/news/article/h...-butterfield-2626749.aspx#KcJeMV5lE0LhS0Gi.99

So should be expect a bid from Huddersfield now for Bentley?

Interestingly they bid 1.5 for Smithies and 1.25m for Bentley on the same day. So are they covering their bases or actually trying to sign both ?

Back