• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: We're good enough for League One

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown remains confident of his side being able to compete in League One this season.

More...

No we're not. We have no depth of league one talent in the squad so when the injuries and suspensions kick in we'll be delivering average league two standard. And that will sound our death knell.

No we're not. We have no depth of league one talent in the squad so when the injuries and suspensions kick in we'll be delivering average league two standard. And that will sound our death knell.

So what would you do to change that.

I agree. There again I don't think there's much we can do about it. We know roughly what is required so, no doubt so does PB. It looks as though (probably) financial restraints will dictate the size of the squad. Loanees will quickly (or otherwise) be brought in when and if injuries/suspensions hit. I sincerely hope everyone can laugh at me when we make four signings in the next week but, as I said on the targets thread, apart from McLaughlin, Thompson (and a keeper if Dan leaves), i don't see anyone else joining.

“I’m looking to bring in a clinical striker but the ones we already have will get goals, I have no doubt about that,” said the Blues boss."

IMHO it's just as well Phil has no doubts about his present strike force coming good, I reckon that's what he's going to have to work with. I read it as "I'd like to bring in a clinical striker but if I can't I'm sure the present squad will come up with the goods. Unfortunately, clinical strikers at League One level cost more money than we are able to afford (McLeod).

We need to play two strikers or get hold of someone who can play the lone striker role. If we do the former then we need better central midfielders to play in a 442. At the moment we use Leonard, Timlin and Atkinson (or Wordsworth/ Payne) to do the work that say, Maher and Guttridge or Maher and Bentley were capable of doing on their own (sorry to hark back to the past). For me, it's a waste of a player. We shouldn't need three players in central midfield.

So what would you do to change that.

Probably too late. Damage done. This team needed a radical overhaul in the close season. We finished 5th in league two and drastic surgery was required as a first step towards a competitive league one side. Can only cross my bits this season and pray to the man for survival.

Probably too late. Damage done. This team needed a radical overhaul in the close season. We finished 5th in league two and drastic surgery was required as a first step towards a competitive league one side. Can only cross my bits this season and pray to the man for survival.

That's been tried with lots of clubs after a promotion and failed. Our team does not need and certainly can't afford a radical overhaul. We will more than survive just hope our fans don't let us down, rather than constantly slag our players off maybe they should be proud of a team that's not going to fold easily with some regular players on £1000 per week. Good value if you ask me.

Remember guys, we are the 12th man. Thats make Roots Hall a fortress again

UTB :happy:

The players may be good enough, but the tactics are not. 1 goal in 5 games is not good enough to stay up and we will not get away with trying to keep clean sheets and nick one goal wins in this league!

The players may be good enough, but the tactics are not. 1 goal in 5 games is not good enough to stay up and we will not get away with trying to keep clean sheets and nick one goal wins in this league!

When have we played like that then. Certainly not this season at RH

he cant really say anything else can he?

I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I really do despair at this forum sometimes.

This squad of players are certainly good enough for the league, the transfer window is still open so PB still has time to get those one or two missing links in. Apart from the Walsall game the players have shown that they are good enough for this league we just haven't had much luck but obviously we need that cutting edge in front of goal which I think will come. All in all im still optimistic for the season UTB

Although it is the worst start in 11 years we got promoted 11 years ago so it shows how the form after four games of a season bears little relevance to the rest of it. We have played some good sides at home this season and we were very unlucky on Saturday. Once we start getting the rub of the green which our performances have deserved and play against some weaker teams I'm sure we will be fine.

I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I really do despair at this forum sometimes.

This squad of players are certainly good enough for the league, the transfer window is still open so PB still has time to get those one or two missing links in. Apart from the Walsall game the players have shown that they are good enough for this league we just haven't had much luck but obviously we need that cutting edge in front of goal which I think will come. All in all im still optimistic for the season UTB

At last. Someone who speaks sense!

I could understand the discontent if we were in this position come January but I think we'll be fine. Like LBR says, in the majority of our games we have been the better team.

Eventually things will start to click and we'll start picking up points. PB got us here, I'm sure he has the nous to keep us here.

Time will tell either way.

All I can say is that if we arent good enough for this league Doncaster are doomed and even Swindon will struggle as we matched them easily, which of course they wont.

I also think we are good enough for this league, and the goals will come. Imo, and only imo, our biggest problem is PB himself. It was never going to be a walk in the park in this league, but he has not helped by strange team selections, and formations that are only ever going to produce 0 0 draws at best, This fear factor, that we must play 5 in midfield or lose is sending out the wrong message to the team.

I think we're good enough , but think our lack of 'home' success so far is not solely down to our misfiring strikers , but to the area we are perceived by many to be strongest - midfield.
Most of Walsalls and Swindons success came from gaping holes in the middle of the pitch once we had lost possession.
Now I'm not pointing fingers at any individuals ( because I think the work ethic of our side is one of our strengths ) but it was clearly a weakness in both games , and one in which the opposition worked out very quickly.
Away , we set up well to frustrate and hit teams on the break , but at home , where the onus is on the home side to dictate , we are naive and exposed.
There is little the back four can do when without sufficient cover , other than to back off and hope they opposition mess up.
I also think our industrious midfield are quite similar in that they have a great work ethic but little guile to unlock teams when we are forcing the game.
Strikers need to score for sure , but the midfield need to be more creative for that to happen.
IMO.......

Back