• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help wanted - iPod or other MP3?

Greebosan

Manager⭐
Morning chaps, any thoughts/advice on the following?

I have had a 30gb iPod for about 10 years, and it is now giving up the ghost. I think I have managed to copy all the songs from it to my laptop, but looking at replacements, they no longer sell the classic iPods, only the iPod Touch, which I don’t really want. I already have a smartphone, and an iPad, and a PC, so see no need for an additional app-playing camera-toting device. I’m not interested in anything fancy in terms of syncing or whatever it is you kids are up to these days, just a good quality music player.

I would need to have a device of the same or preferably bigger size, as my current iPod is virtually full now, and my music collection isn’t going to stop growing, although it has slowed down a bit in recent years.

All my music is in whatever format apple have chosen to put it in via iTunes, would this be compatible with another music player that wasn’t apple?

I used to keep pace with all the modern technology, but now I’m getting on a bit, I can’t be bothered any more. I’m one step away from getting an analogue phone with the big keys on it I reckon.

Ive been using an ipod classic 120gb for years and its always done the job, dont think they make them any more though and they seem to be quite in demand for used ones.

I read that Apple see that streaming is the way forward, with actually owning the music (be it CD, Record or MP3 download) a thing of the past.
Which explains the discontinuation of ipods, limited storage on I phones and not expansion card slots either.

The best suggestion I got was get a cheap android phone which takes an sd card get a 32gb card and just use it as an music player, Tesco's amongst others sell phones without Sims , its not a particularly cheap method but its comparable to the old Ipod prices

I'd be open to the flexibility and access that Spotify brings. Streaming is hugely convenient. I have a massive CD and vinyl collection, and a 200GB mp3 collection which I don't really use any more. Spotify covers about 90% of what I like, and other stuff I purchase and then just use through the 'local file' option on Spotify.

I'd be open to the flexibility and access that Spotify brings. Streaming is hugely convenient. I have a massive CD and vinyl collection, and a 200GB mp3 collection which I don't really use any more. Spotify covers about 90% of what I like, and other stuff I purchase and then just use through the 'local file' option on Spotify.

I have actually sold the majority of my CD collection because Spotify is easier to use.

I read that Apple see that streaming is the way forward, with actually owning the music (be it CD, Record or MP3 download) a thing of the past.
Which explains the discontinuation of ipods, limited storage on I phones and not expansion card slots either.

The best suggestion I got was get a cheap android phone which takes an sd card get a 32gb card and just use it as an music player, Tesco's amongst others sell phones without Sims , its not a particularly cheap method but its comparable to the old Ipod prices

You'd be better off going down the Sansa Clip route for that. You can add in a 32GB (or even 64GB) micro sd card.

Is lightweight and had better battery life than the Apple alternatives.

My one just died in the rain though. I think I had it about 5 years.

What about when you're not online though? E.g. car journeys. I tend to keep my 64GB iPod in the car, but it is a little frustrating that i can only store a quite limited amount on my iPhone for when I'm out and about and not necessarily able to access WiFi.

Or am I missing something?

What about when you're not online though? E.g. car journeys. I tend to keep my 64GB iPod in the car, but it is a little frustrating that i can only store a quite limited amount on my iPhone for when I'm out and about and not necessarily able to access WiFi.

Or am I missing something?

You download the album/playlist for offline listening. So I have about 20 albums and some large playlists downloaded. You can release them to free up space, and so it's easy to manage the whole thing on a smart phone. With Spotify this is one click.

My main issue with Apple Music is that the offline management is a pain, and iTunes is crap.

You download the album/playlist for offline listening. So I have about 20 albums and some large playlists downloaded. You can release them to free up space, and so it's easy to manage the whole thing on a smart phone. With Spotify this is one click.

My main issue with Apple Music is that the offline management is a pain, and iTunes is crap.

Yeah I have three albums and one playlist on the go each day. Today it's Notorious BIG, America and Phil Collins, and a playlist of Motown/soul.

Oh yeah I do that, but it's a bit annoying uploading an album, then having to 'delete' it, or then forgetting two minutes before I have to leave the house that there's no music on the phone!

I don't mind iTunes, but sometimes I suppose you just get used to things, even if they're not actually all that great.

For something which has been around for about 14 years now, iTunes is the worst piece of software I think I've ever had to use.

Id say its actually got worse.

Always hated it performance wise, but the changes they have made to the GUI over the last year or two have made it horrible to use.

Apple completely missed the trick by not remaking or building an alternative to iTunes when they released Apple music. To have software that focussed on 'physical' files and then introduce a mobile system based on streaming means you end up with a bizarre hybrid with the worst of both worlds.

Thanks for the thoughts all - Firestorm, I'm now looking into getting a micro SD card for my existing android phone and bunging all my music on there, although I am also potentially leaning towards an old school iPod update, purely out of laziness! Going to Canada soon, so tech should be cheaper out there.

Back