• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I also got the impression Phil wont play Mc McLaughlin from the outset saying he wasn't yet up to speed in terms of match fitness. Going forward Mc. McLaughlin, Worrell and Wordsworth could be devastating on their day, however defensively im not sure they could tackle a blancmange?

Things have to change for us soon so let's hope it's tonight, I think we can upset the form book here, I shall be stuck to the radio tonight:thumbsup:

I also got the impression Phil wont play Mc McLaughlin from the outset saying he wasn't yet up to speed in terms of match fitness. Going forward Mc. McLaughlin, Worrell and Wordsworth could be devastating on their day, however defensively im not sure they could tackle a blancmange?
When you play two defensive midfielders in Timlin and Leonard, this somewhat negates the need for the attacking midfielders to be excellent defensively.

I think we have a great midfield now, and agree the 3 above could be devastating on their day. I just hope they start clicking ASAP (starting tonight!)

Talking of rain. Any danger of it being called off. It's been tipping down all morning in essex

Talking of rain. Any danger of it being called off. It's been tipping down all morning in essex
Hmm yes, i'm only a stone's throw from the M1 and planning to go but it's raining really heavily in Herts too and looks to be the same in Coventry.

Hmm yes, i'm only a stone's throw from the M1 and planning to go but it's raining really heavily in Herts too and looks to be the same in Coventry.

That really would be the ultimate arse **** . All the way up there on a Bank Holiday evening in the rain and then called off or abandoned for a water-logged pitch. Shades of Bury away last year.

I'm not sure about it being called off, but I live in Birmingham and it has been tipping it down all day.

Gutted I can't make the game tonight, it would only taken me 35 minutes to get there, but I am working nights. :sad:

I don't expect us to win tonight, maybe lose. All I wanted to see is an good performance with fight & passion & give everything, that all I can ask from the guys who start tonight.

Cov fan here, due to our super high tech empty bowl, we have a very good drainage system and there is no chance the game will be called off

Cov fan here, due to our super high tech empty bowl, we have a very good drainage system and there is no chance the game will be called off

Good to hear that buddie. Does the fact that the bowl is empty help the drainage, or would you like more fans in it at times?

Good to hear that buddie. Does the fact that the bowl is empty help the drainage, or would you like more fans in it at times?

I'd like more fans mainly so I can go back to my old seats in the north stand. The atmosphere is better but the empty stand looks ridiculous

Well, have a good season Sky Blues, you belong in a higher division - but please have an off night tonight.

I see there ground holds 30k plus? What gates do they get these days?

They had sold just under 9,000 tickets at the last count.

Plus, a local web-site penned this ;

It’s been a journey to hell andback for Southend since that December afternoon at the Ricoh Arena in 2006.Relegation to the third-tier was eventually followed by financial struggles,another relegation and several close shaves with liquidation. Paul Sturrockeventually stabilised the club, taking them to the play-offs and JPT finalbefore being harshly sacked weeks before he could enjoy a well-deservedafternoon at Wembley.
Phil Brown was a thoroughlyunpopular choice as Sturrock’s replacement but has been able to build on hispredecessor’s achievements. Despite lacking experience of League Two football,Brown has built a strong team dynamic whilst leading the club to consecutivefifth-place finishes in the fourth-tier before leading Southend to promotion viathe play-offs last season.
The star of this Southend team isgoalkeeper Daniel Bentley, who last season conceded just nine league goals athome. A product of the club’s academy, Bentley is a tall and confident younggoalkeeper which gives Southend the stability in their play that comes fromknowing that their goalkeeper will bail them out almost regardless of whattheir doing.
Much of the rest of Southend’steam features your classic lower league journeymen workmanlike footballers,that they employ Gary Deegan would suggest as much. It’s players like Deegan aswell as Michael Timlin, John White and Adam Barrett that provide the characterof this team. Phil Brown has further added to that dynamic by bringing in thehard-working strikers Noel Hunt and David Mooney as his key summer signings.
There are a few flair players inthe squad that give Southend more of a threat about them. Winger StephenMcLaughlin is a recent signing from Nottingham Forest after a good loan spelllast season, he’s generally regarded as something of a one in three man interms of providing inspiration. Anthony Wordsworth is also at the club, hisdelivery from set-pieces provide Southend with their biggest attacking threat.Then there’s the ‘Southend Messi’ Jack Payne who is an exciting littleattacking midfielder who is one of the few Southend players who can dribblepast an opponent.
Prediction
This is all set up to be the nextin a long line of games at the Ricoh Arena between a Coventry City sideexpected to dominate and an opposition team who’ll set up to soak up pressureand look to nick a goal at the other end. Without James Maddison in the side,there is the worry that we lack the unpredictability that can createuncertainty within the opposing team’s defensive fortifications. This game isall about finding a way to win with the options we have left.
I always kind of expect the worstin these type of games but for now, I’m going to be optimistic and predict a2-0 win for Coventry City.

I presume that is how they talk in Coventry, Jaffa, everynowandagain not pausing between words? Saves space I suppose!! Although the writer is probably right about our current team, it's a bit brutal. I really hope we stuff them and start an epic promotion drive.

Back