• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Daniel Bentley go in this transfer window?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't believe he'll go now. I also believe that not selling him to QPR for £1.25m is a mistake IF and only IF the majority was an upfront payment (and I have no idea if it was or not). IF it was then I'm shocked we didn't sell and yes I do believe given the length of Bentley's contract that it is certainly an error of judgement on Ron's part.

P.S. Don't mistake this post as indicating I wanted Bentley to leave, he's a great keeper and has a great future. The contract length and the unlikely chance of DB re-signing for SUFC is the deciding factor here. We absolutely have to negotiate our own sell-on fee for Bentley, the only way we can do this is to sell to a club direct. If anyone thinks we'll get more than around £400k plus a small sell-on % next summer at a tribunal they're in dreamland. :thumbdown:

I think there would be a couple of scouts there looking at him especially given the lack of games on tonight, but given that its nearly the "11th hour" of the transfer window, If any bid that would be put in to the club, would have to be significantly higher than the previous bids that QPR put in.

I think Ron would have snapped up the money long ago at the intial bids and save on his monthly wage if that was the case. That being said, others have mentioned on here that the players and managers believe that they are good enough for league one and would like to achieve back to back promotions.

If this is a genuine belief, than I think its best in all interests that if Bentley can prove his worth as one of the best goalkeepeers in league one, this will only increase his value to the club should they recieve other offers in the January window, but also his own wage demands, when a contract renewal is discussed.

Tricky call, I agree, but if we make the offer good enough then he would be a bit of a numpty to turn it down, in the certain knowledge that we would let him go later.

Nothing is certain in football and least of all where Ron Martin concerned. He won't sign a new deal, it is not in his interest to do so.

I don't believe he'll go now. I also believe that not selling him to QPR for £1.25m is a mistake IF and only IF the majority was an upfront payment (and I have no idea if it was or not). IF it was then I'm shocked we didn't sell and yes I do believe given the length of Bentley's contract that it is certainly an error of judgement on Ron's part.

P.S. Don't mistake this post as indicating I wanted Bentley to leave, he's a great keeper and has a great future. The contract length and the unlikely chance of DB re-signing for SUFC is the deciding factor here. We absolutely have to negotiate our own sell-on fee for Bentley, the only way we can do this is to sell to a club direct. If anyone thinks we'll get more than around £400k plus a small sell-on % next summer at a tribunal they're in dreamland. :thumbdown:

Thing is theres nothing to say Bentley would have actually gone there. If he was their first choice they wouldnt have bid more for Smithies.

After that performance can i please change my vote to - Oh yes he will :sad:

Seeing as DDG went for £30m I think most people will be put off from Bentley and his £100m price tag.

Judas GNH !!!

He is a local boy,....... that blue blooded shrimp instinct runs though his veins!!

Money has nothing to do with it!! :smile:

Bentley would be an arse to leave now.. He will get 50 games and be busy all season. ..
He should do,the lot then make his mind up next July.

Thing is theres nothing to say Bentley would have actually gone there. If he was their first choice they wouldnt have bid more for Smithies.

I'd have been surprised if Bentley hadn't gone there to be fair, and even PB said that DB would be disappointed if he didn't get that move (and I can totally understand that, it's a huge step up). Much higher wages too. As for Smithies I would suspect Bentley WAS first choice for them initially or they wouldn't have come in with as many as three bids. I'd never heard of the Smithies interest until we had rejected their final offer. Maybe Smithies suddenly became available and they decided to drop their interest in Bentley, I don't know.

What should definitely be pointed out though is what a fine and thoroughly professional reaction Bentley has shown since QPR's bids. How many times have we seen players throw their toys out of the pram and down tools to force a move through. Bentley has got his head down and put in some sterling performances, notably against Walsall and a Schmeichelesque performance tonight. You have to give the lad credit, he's giving his all for this club and when he finally gets his move he'll fully deserve it.

I believe Dan will still be a blue 6.01pm. The best options for all parties is Dan signs a massive improved deal, due to return on investment surely he should be the highest paid player in our team in terms of what we can get back financially? With a release clause in the range of £2.5 million plus add ons. He will then play 50 odd games this year and if there anything like last night will end up in the shop window well and truly and get the opportunity next same with a season of experience In a higher league.

Dan Bentley probably is the reason we are playing this year at Coventry in front of nearly 13000 spectators, rather than in somewhere like Northampton (geographically) with 4500. When the end of this long season comes to an end perhaps the point, Bentley saved for us tonight, will prove important. As a Blues supporter, just how do you put a value on that?

I believe Dan will still be a blue 6.01pm. The best options for all parties is Dan signs a massive improved deal, due to return on investment surely he should be the highest paid player in our team in terms of what we can get back financially? With a release clause in the range of £2.5 million plus add ons. He will then play 50 odd games this year and if there anything like last night will end up in the shop window well and truly and get the opportunity next same with a season of experience In a higher league.

He won't accept a release clause of 2.5m when bids were only 1.25m

Last edited:
I don't think he'll go. My concern isn't for us - we've basically decided that keeping him for 1 more year is worth more than the transfer fee. My concern is for him - I'm reliably told he very much wanted the QPR move and is cheesed off it didn't happen. That didn't show in his performance at Coventry last night, and I was impressed with how he rose to the occasion on the bigger stage etc. I just hope he can keep it up.

I don't think he'll go. My concern isn't for us - we've basically decided that keeping him for 1 more year is worth more than the transfer fee. My concern is for him - I'm reliably told he very much wanted the QPR move and is cheesed off it didn't happen. That didn't show in his performance at Coventry last night, and I was impressed with how he rose to the occasion on the bigger stage etc. I just hope he can keep it up.

No really, we just didnt think 1.25m was enough

As for being cheesed off about QPR they signed Smithies who they bid for on the same day so whilst it might be understandable not to get the move theres no certainty he would have gone anyway.

He will get his move and I dont think he is the sort of person for it to affect, Im sure he will knuckle down if he doesnt leave today and get a move later on.

Was speaking to a Wolves fan at The Ricoh last night and he told me that Dan would be signing for them today. Now this is most likely bollocks but he seemed on the level. Said that Dan would be joining Wolves who would be loaning him back to us till the end of the season.

Think this is unlikely but who knows?

Was speaking to a Wolves fan at The Ricoh last night and he told me that Dan would be signing for them today. Now this is most likely bollocks but he seemed on the level. Said that Dan would be joining Wolves who would be loaning him back to us till the end of the season.

Think this is unlikely but who knows?

At the start or the end of the match?

Back