• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU referendum

Would you make voting complusary for the EU Referendum only?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Voting in the EU referendum

There has been a fair bit of discussion on here recently regarding voting or not dependent on your views on democracy.

As the EU and our membership appears to generate strong opinion for and against, I have a simple question:

- Would you be in favour of making voting compulsory for all those eligible to vote for this referendum only?

Voting should be mandatory? That's a joke! You mean - make 60% of the electorate that wouldn't normally turn out vote because they have to? :hilarious:

I used to think that voting should be mandatory until it was pointed out to me that you have the right not to,should you so choose. So in the name of democracy, it shouldn't be compulsory.

The best solution would be a non mandatory vote on mandatory voting to decide if we should mandatory vote

I used to think that voting should be mandatory until it was pointed out to me that you have the right not to,should you so choose. So in the name of democracy, it shouldn't be compulsory.

I think I probably agree with you. It will be interesting to see whether the turn out for it is better than the last General election (66.1%), or for that matter, the Scottish Referendum (84.59%). One thing is for certain, those that don't vote shouldn't moan.

This is different to a general election as you are voting for two clear choices.

Not voting for a bunch of parties who are so blurred as to what they stand for and full of spin is a different matter altogether.

It shouldnt be mandatory though, thats ridiculous, some may not have an opinion or fully understand the implications.

no, just need the right to vote on this issue and you all should, I still doubt it will happen or if it does and majority vote OUT it still won't happen. Myself undecided at the moment, need more info benefits of being IN

No, people have the right not to vote. And you would get lots of people just voting for the sake of it without properly thinking about it.

This is different to a general election as you are voting for two clear choices.

Not voting for a bunch of parties who are so blurred as to what they stand for and full of spin is a different matter altogether.

It shouldnt be mandatory though, thats ridiculous, some may not have an opinion or fully understand the implications.
Indeed. If someone doesn't understand the implications but is smart enough to realise that, then surely abstention is a sensible decision.

Back